• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

King's Castle Effect

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Sorry, my eyes must have skipped right over the "grabbed" bit. Mea culpa. As is so often the case, my answer was completely wrong and utterly useless. Peppermints, anyone?

Last edited:

Whimsical

Explorer
Huh. Learn something new every day. I'm pretty well versed in the PHB but I can't honestly say I remember that passage at all.

Thanks for the info!!
Yeah. There's no good place for this rule, unfortunately. So a lot of people miss this detail.

So, this rule detail answers some of the questions brought up in this thread.

Grab: Since shift doesn't end a grab, it doesn't get you out of a grab. But since slide does end a grab, it can get your ally out of a grab.

Opportunity Attack: Your shift or your target's slide doesn't trigger an opportunity attack. But it may activate other actions that are triggered by a shift or a slide. Such as the fighter's Combat Challenge.

Difficult Terrain: since you're shifting until you reach your destination square (instead of X squares), difficult terrain doesn't affect you in this case. Sliding isn't hindered by difficult terrain, of course.

Maleketh

First Post
Wow. @_@ I also consider myself pretty familiar with the rules, and that was totally under my radar. Thanks, Whimsical.

DracoSuave

First Post
The Effect line of King's Castle (rogue encounter attack 1) reads "switch places with a willing adjacent ally." Is this switch considered movement, a shift, forced movement, or none of the above? Most importanbtly, does it work if the rogue and/or his ally are grabbed?

Disregard what anyone before Whimsical says about 'movement not mentioned.'

Whimsical is right 100%.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Disregard what anyone before Whimsical says about 'movement not mentioned.'

Oh, you're no fun. First I can't get a job as a political pundit because I'm occasionally right, and now I can't get any credit here just because I got something completely wrong?

Geez, you just can't win any more...

DracoSuave

First Post
Oh, you're no fun. First I can't get a job as a political pundit because I'm occasionally right, and now I can't get any credit here just because I got something completely wrong?

Geez, you just can't win any more...

See, and you would have gotten this forgotten and been on a carreer of rightitude... but now everyone's gonna remember yer name.

I tried to cover up!

Remove ads