• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Kitsune fox shape casting

cjr88

First Post
so I'm looking to make a kitsune caster and I want to take the fox shape feat and just stay a fox most of the time but I have the problem that I can't speak while a fox.
so I'm trying to find a way around that. I know druids just take the natural spell feat. to bad other casters cant take that

cjr88

First Post
why don't you just explain this to your DM? The rules are only guidelines, not hard facts.
Well, that may work in normal conditions but I'm playing pathfinder society and that's organized play so rules are rules sadly. Though when we don't play society I'm normally the GM and I wouldn't allow a character to cast spells with verbal components in they cannot speak but, I would allow them to take the natural spell feat. thanks for the suggestion anyway

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Silent spell allows you to cast spells without a verbal component, but they must be prepared as if they were one level higher than normal.
Still Spell does the same for somatic components

Natural spell is not druid specific - it is *wildshape* specific. Unfortunately, the Kitsune power to take human form is not Wildshape.

But, the basic form of a Pathfinder Kistune is not a fox. It is a fox-like humanoid that can already speak. Kitsune don't actually get the ability to turn into plain old foxes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is the feat the OP mentions and want to use.

Ah. Missed that. Sorry.

Note also that the use of a metamagic rod does not raise the spell level, which is why I suggested it above.

Problem - you generally have to *hold* a rod to use it. Unless this fox is gong to run around with a stick in his mouth all the time...

And that won't get you past how spells with somatic components also require a free hand - and foxes don't have hands.

Tuft

First Post
And that won't get you past how spells with somatic components also require a free hand - and foxes don't have hands.

A borderline argument could be made based on the Synthesist Summoner - who only need a free limb, not hand, to cast spells, when in a beast-shaped eidolon.

The best way is probably to be careful about your spell selection, go for long-term buff spells, and temporarily change out of beast shape when casting.

(I currently play a kitsune bard in a Skulls & Shackles Pathfinder campaign.)

Remove ads