KK1: Grotto of the Kuo-toa (Gh & Dar -> rest of PCs)

Graf

Explorer
Ooc: alas 27/28 vs ac will not do it. And you're not at the point where an extra +2 is going to make a difference either...

Redclaw

First Post
Grimacing in pain, Lukalos gestures at the glyph, attempting to end its magical effect. Unfortunately, he is distracted by that very effect and his efforts are not overly effective.

[sblock=ooc] I'm still away from books, but I think this works... dispel magic vs. the zone created by the glyph. That's an int. vs will defense of the zone's creator for (1d20+14)=20 (not an implement power, so no bonus for my orb). [/sblock][sblock=Mini Stat-Block]
Hit Points:87 Bloodied: 43
Healing Surge: 21 Surges per day: 7
Initiative: +7
Speed: 6
Perception: 21 Insight: 26
Action Points: 1

AC 29 Fortitude 23 Reflex 28 Will 24

Encounter: Infernal Wrath
Battle Edge
Spectral Ram
Forceful Retort
Thunderlance
Combust
Shield

Daily: Fireball
Lightning Serpent
Prismatic Beams
Dispel Magic
Blur
Arcane Rejuvenation
Greater Invisibility

Equipment Powers:
Frost effect (dagger)
Orb of drastic resolutions
Resist 10 (Cloak)
Resist 5 weapon (Belt)
Water walk (Boots)

[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=Dispel Magic]I don't think dispel is going to work on the trap. It's a zone of magic in the english language sense, but it's not an effect with the zone keyword.
(the trap itself calls the effect it creates a "field").

I also checked other traps with "glyph" in the name none of them use zone and they all suggest that the counter would be a theivery check to disable "a trigger plate" which I think means one square?

Anyway, Lukalos would know dispel magic isn't going to work before you rolled, I think.[/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. Thanks. I guess he would use Combust on the aboleth instead, using my original roll, that would be a 25 vs. reflex (implement and hellfire blood bonus). It will do 5d6+11 damage if it hits. [/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
Lukalos gestures, attempting to cause the aboleth to no-so-spontanously combust, but the creature reflexively slips into the pool for a moment and the fire and heat sputters out above it.

Irritation continues. It bobs to the surface a moment later, the staff set with the Eye of the Great One held high above it.

[sblock=Reflex Defense]25 isn't in the ball park unfortunately.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Belkar rushes the aboleth with surprising speed, using a doulbe-double slash with afterburner and coolaid.

[sblock=ooc]
Uses Action Point, Pathfinder ability (Pathfinder’s Action (11th level)) for additional move action (14 squares total).

Move to s8 using 4 squares, move through difficulty terrain 5 squares to n8, using remaining 10 squares.

Use minor action Hunter's Quarry against N'h.
2d8 damage ; if hit, Belkar gets this much + 2 temp Hit Points (Pathfinder Ability. add to the crit for 16 damage and 18 temp HP

Using Armor Splinter against N'h as standard action.
1d20+19;1d8+10 1d20+18;1d8+8 AC malus if hit
Armor Splinter (1d20+19=39, 1d8+10=13, 1d20+18=28, 1d8+8=10)
Bonus dice for crit hit:
Critical extra damage (high crit, frost) (1d6=2, 4d6=18)

Using Two-Weapon Eviscerate with bonus action from AP use.
1d20+19;1d8+10 1d20+18;1d8+8 +1d10 damage if both hit and target weakend
Two Weapon Eviscerate (1d20+19=24, 1d8+10=14, 1d20+18=34, 1d8+8=12)

Each missed attack deals 5 damage (Scimitar dance Feat)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Belkar leaves a swirling wake behind him as he rockets through the mucus cloud, leaps onto the scum covered pond and begins to hack into the aboleths rubbery flesh, swords flashing faster than the eye can follow.

[sblock=OOC: Belkar represents]
Attack One: 18*+20 + 5 (2nd miss)
Aboleth -1 AC till R2_25-5
*=max from crit

Attack Two: Damage 5 +14 = 19
Swing 1: Miss
Swing 2: HIT (only b/c of Splinter Armor...)

Total Damage: 62! (& -2 to AC till end of Belkar's next round) [/sblock]

Discomfort... extreme.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Jack moves forward, calling down scared flame to little effect.

It's form shimmers, save for Belkar everyone else loses sight of it. Only the unmistakable light of the Eye of the Great One reveals its location.

The aboleth floats away from Belkar, trying to buy space to work it's magic.

The aboleth's tentacles begin to wriggle as arcane images, spellcasting, assault you. Writhing tentacles of force explode forth, lashing everyone but Belkar and Jack. While only Aeloishi, Gerold and Gharesh find themselves grappled and held by the tentacles everyone in the effect must struggle to avoid them as they move.

Lasra feels the creature's powerful mind slam into hers attempting to rob her of her will. Her devotion is strong enough to allow her to shake off it's entries to serve me. This time.

The Eye of the Great One pulses: Two aboleth appear. One directly in front of Gerold and the other at the far edge of the light.
The Eye of the Great One pulses: The pool, the Aboleth and Belkar disappear.

In the wobbling light provided by your sole lightsource: the sunrod (now being smacked around by the crushing tentacles) you can't see anything; save for the newcomers.

The aboleth in front Gerold lashes out at Aiolishi, but the agile elf dodges it's attack. The far aboleth launches a blast of slime, arcing it's shot over its comrade and landing a hit directly on top of Gerold, the clinging gloop hinders his movement.

[sblock=Belkar only]
Because the Aboleth didn't beat your will save you can "stick with it" when it shifts reality. You don't have to go, given your character's melee orientation I'm assuming you don't want to let it get away.
[I.e. you can choose to stay in your old spot if you want to.

The Eye of the Great One has dimmed, so its no longer giving off light. You're still standing on the surface of the pool, and you can't see it, but you know where it is. It's just a short step away

[sblock=Rules stuff]
I'm using the rules on pg 281. The aboleth is the "invisible creature" it's -not- invisible but it isn't visible to Belkar (because its dark and he doesn't have dark vision). So it's stealth is compared to his passive perception.

It's stealth check = 15 vs. 25 Belkar wins and knows its one 5ft square diagonally (i.e. it hasn't moved relative to his position before it used the Eye of the Great One to shift reality).

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

[sblock=Round 1 Initiative - Gharrash, Darrak then trap and then -everyone- else]

25.1 - Gerold - minor: quick draws and drops a sunrod, bull rush Lasra, move to S10, draw weapon (free - right?)
25.2 - Lasra 90/105
save vs trap: SUCCESS
------------dazed (you're still dazed... need to make one more save....)
------------waterwalking
25.3 - Aeloishi - two attacks two misses
25.4 - Jack - semi NPC state... Move S6 Sacred Flame MISS
25.5 - Lukalos 72/87 dazed (save ends -> AF:dazed (save ends))
25.6 - Belkar applies the hurt (60+ damage) & Aboleth AC -2 till end next
------------waterwalking
21 - Aboleth

Minor: Blur (+2 defenses & more than five squares away can't see)
Move: Shift down left(filling 4 squares K9:L10)
Standard: Crushing Tentacles on W9
KK1_E1_R1 Crushing Tentacles |
Aeloishi=33 HIT [28 Damage & IMMOBILIZED UNTIL THE END OF NEXT TURN = Round 2 Initiative 20]
Darrak =17
Gerold =29 HIT [28 Damage & IMMOBILIZED UNTIL THE END OF NEXT TURN = Round 2 Initiative 20]
Gharesh =31 HIT [28 Damage & IMMOBILIZED UNTIL THE END OF NEXT TURN = Round 2 Initiative 20]
Lasra =19
Lukalos =26

ANY SQUARE WITHING THE CRUSHING TENTACLES ZONE COSTS 4+1=5 MOVEMENT TO ENTER. (thats 4 for the tentacles and 1 for the mucus)

AP: Standard Action: Dominate Lasra MISS

free action [The Eye of the Great One]: shift reality: Summon Aboleth

free action [The Eye of the Great One]: shift reality: Rearrange Reality
Side effect (vs Belkar's will) MISS-> Belkar goes with the Aboleth

20 - AL tentacle lash -> A MISS
20 - AS Slime Orb -> Ge HIT 10 DAMAGE & SLOWED (save ends)

18 - Gharesh
12 - Darrak 107/122 dazed (save ends -> AF:dazed (save ends))
11 - Ab Servitors

Current status

N'h the aboleth glyphmaster -2 AC

Aeloishi 79/107 & immobilized (end next N'h turn)
Belkar waterwalking
Darrak 107/122 dazed (save ends -> AF:dazed (save ends))
Gerold 97/135 & immobilized (end next N'h turn) & slowed (save ends)
Gharesh 96/124 & immobilized (end next N'h turn)
Jack
Lukalos 72/87 dazed (save ends -> AF:dazed (save ends))
Lasra 90/105 dazed (save ends)
-----waterwalking
[/sblock]

As you face a difficult fight you can not help but remember the words of your "ally"
The Eye is tuned to the shrine and the shrine, to it. Reality is... soft... around the shrine, with experience there are few things the possessor of the staff can not accomplish. And N'haraz has had the staff for a very long time.

If you can not destroy the staff quickly... N'haraz is not the most inventive creature, but it can call upon allies and with time it will be able to turn the shrine else against you.

The staff is the key. Destroy it and... you may succeed or even... survive.
[sblock=N'h's location]
I'm using the perception skill rules on 186 + the "targeting what you can't see" rules on pg 281.

All of you can hear the aboleth thrashing about in the pool (probably because it's got a psycotic halfing in there trying to stab him). The direction is toward A14 or so.

[sblock=Aeloishi Belkar [/B]Gharesh Lasra (passive perception higher than 25)] Your keen sense of hearing allows you to guess that the aboleth is currently in C11:12.[/sblock]

Note: Even if you get some light you'll still have difficulty seeing the aboleth beyond 5 squares because of its blur effect.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• KK1_F1_R1_init18.jpg
    KK1_F1_R1_init18.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
With a low growl Gharesh winks out of sight just for a moment, and reappears several feet away from his former location. "Death comes for you," he whispers softly as his eyes dart between the two aboleths. Finally he settles on one, and points his scaly finger. "You first."

[sblock=details]
Move action: Feystep to W6
Minor action: Curse AS and AL (Twofold Curse feat)
Standard action: Hellish Rebuke on AL +18 vs. Ref, 1d6+11 fire plus 2d6 cursed (1d20 18=22, 1d6 11=13, 2d6=10)

Bah.. that's probably a miss, but they still should be cursed anyway... I think.[/sblock]

Dalamar

Adventurer
"Cursed deep spawn!"
Darrak tries to wade through the thrashing tentacles, but doesn't make much progress due to the glyph's effects.
[sblock=OoC]Move one square west to exit the glyph.
Save vs. Glyph Saving Throw (1d20=6), still under first effect.[/sblock]

Remove ads