Knightfall's World of Kulan: Tales of the Companions Story Hour (Final Update: Sep 20, 2014)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
SALISAN'S SOLILOQUY

The Karmine Sea:
At the same time that Mesik knelt in Under Realm Temple in Raln, Salisan Marg stood on the sandbar above his underwater reef home staring at the stars. He always found the stars above the water relaxing. But not this night.

"Father," Salisan looked over the water towards the coast. "I have been caught by the shore dwellers. They fascinate me. How such bounded-in people can be so boundless is beyond me. Yes, I've met their kind before on numerous occasions but none so willing to accept me for who I am.

Yes, the dwarf was unsure of my intentions but I was expecting that of all of them. And once he knew of my love for the Old Man in the Sea and the other North Gods, he was assured. Yes, the dwarf was fascinating.

But the halfling was more so.

Mesik fought bravely against severe odds, father. I couldn't help but be awed by the willpower and strength shown by one so small as he. It made me feel small next to him. Yes, that's silly, I know but-"

Salisan turned to watch a school of dolphins swam past the sandbar. The danced and played as they went. Soon they were cresting in and out of the water towards the distance.

Salisan dove into the water coming up next to the submerged reef. He laid on his back in the water stroking with his arms through the dark waters of the sea.

"I hope you agree with my choice to honor him with our tradition, father. He is an honorable little fellow and will make good use of the families Sheao. Yes, I believe he will.

It seems father that I am more like you then I thought I was. You were always off adventuring. Meeting the land-dwellers and exploring the sea. I had thought I was content to live in my home and maybe someday take a mate to continue our line.

I know it is was mother would want. How is mother, dear father?" The large reef giant closed his eyes for moment listening to the water. He smiled as the water passed over his large frame listening to the echoes of his families past.

"That is good to hear, father. Yes, I do consider all of them my friends even the dark-hearted one. It isn't his fault. Thessa explained it to me. She is quite the charmer that little one.

But as I was saying before, father. I thought myself content to live a quiet life devoted to great Lord Aegir. But now. Now, I feel the call of the water to explore and seek the world. To explore it with my new friends. To be one of them against the evils of the world.

Maybe I will seek them out next year after the kelp has been harvested.

Yes, father. I am like you were during your mortal life. I yearn for adventure. I will never be content again."

Salisan kicks his legs diving deep into the water towards his watery home.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
BACTRA'S SOLILOQUY

The Great Forest, Woodknot, Redriver Clan Treehome, Early Evening:
Bactra Redwind held the spear in his hand. He could feel the magic of the relic. Feel its aura of power. He would allow no one to destroy it, evil or not.

"They won't understand why. No matter. It is the will of the Balance that this isn't destroyed." Bactra held the spear in both hands high above his head.

"Great Boccob," Bactra had made his pledge to the Miser of Magic. "You aren't my god but you understand the Balance. The need to keep the magic in the world.

Besides, the All-Mother wills it. This I know. I can feel her presence with me now. Even the Patron of Magic, Lady Immotion, can not object the will of Mirella.

I will hide the spear here away from prying eyes. None must wield it, of course. It's magic would taint the soul of even the purest warrior of my race."

Bactra walked the shaped wood of his clan room to a secret alcove carved naturally out of the wood. He took the spear wrapping it carefully in a soft, fleece blanket. He laid it carefully in the alcove. None would disturb his possessions while he was gone. This was his clan room. None may enter without his leave.

"Yes," Bactra pulled a tapestry of leaves across the alcove, hiding its contents. "That will do. Not even Dabuk would understand what I have done. He would accept it but he wouldn't understand it.

I don't want him to worry about me too." Bactra walked out onto the magically shaped branches serving as his balcony. He stood there looking through the trees of Woodknot towards the druid grove known as Eiithinia's Rest.

"His mind is already burdened with the suffering of an entire continent and his own soul. He is there right now, in his mother's grove. Talking to her.

He'll stay there all night. Praying. Grieving."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
DABUKS' SOLILOQUY

The Great Forest, Woodknot, Eiithinia's Rest:
At the same time Bactra stood on his balcony, Dabuk could be found kneeling amongst the fallen leaves and soft earth of his mother's sacred grove. His legs and knees were numb but he hardly noticed. Only here was he ever near peace. Only here could he still be close to her.

A magically shaped oak in the form of Rillifane stood to his left with an equal of Corelleon on his right. They towered over the grove as sentinels guarding his mother's soul and the forest she loved. A small birch magically shaped in the form of his mother stood in the center of the grove. The Elders had dedicated it an the entire grove to his mother after her death. Renaming it Eiithinia's Rest.

"Mother," Dabuk spoke for the first time in five hours of praying. "Can you hear the trees today? They miss you."

The half-elven ranger was shaking his breath forming mist in the cold night air. But still he refused to move.

"Two more of the beasts are gone, mother. In time, they will all be gone. I swear it. I will make them pay for the pain and the death they cause.

This new war is a gift from Rillifane. I can feel it. Soon the hordes will know my name. Fear it. They won't have anywhere to hide from my rage, my vengeance.

Father thinks I am obsessed. If I am then I learned it from him. He hates orcs like I hate ogres. He never shows them mercy and I understand. And yet, he associates with one of the beasts! This Kellin One-Eye! An ogre, mother! One of his best friends in the world is an ogre!

He betrays us. I wish I knew why. Has the beast enchanted his mind somehow mother? It doesn't make sense."

Dabuk raises his head staring at the Life Tree of his mother. He wished his life had been but a dream and that he would wake to find her standing over him. Smiling at him in that way that told him everything would be ok.

"Their deaths are not enough! I will not rest until they all gone and the evil one that spawned them with them! I will not yield. Someday, I will stand in heavens and destroy Vaprak himself! I swear it! Do you hear me Vaprak! I will come for you someday! I SWEAR IT!"

Dabuk was shaking uncontrollably. He fought to stay on his knees but could not. The grieving boy turned man lay down fetal, shaking. The trees wept for him.

"The trees miss you, mother." Dabuk whispered in the darkness. "I miss you."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
JEDDAR'S SOLILOQUY

The Great Forest, Silverleaf, Tethrin’s Circle:
Jeddar Silversun stood in the center of the natural glade dedicated to the Master of Blades, blindfolded with his scimitars at his side. His breathing steady and calm trailing stream through the cold.

Then he began. Thunder over the White Mountain. Bard's song in the night. Saving the soul with steel.

"Why do I bother trying to please her?" His words flowed as smoothly as his swords through the air. "Tell me that, Lord Tethrin."

Splitting the water with grace. Hawk snatches mouse from the air. Living metal extends as death.

"Father tells me to give her time. He forgets I am not him. I am only half-blooded. I can't wait two centuries for her to come around. Not that it would matter. I could wait six elven lifetimes and she would still hate me.

It's so frustrating. To have done nothing wrong except exist."

Jeddar increased his pace twirling his blades faster through the late afternoon's crisp, cold air. Cougar finds the jugular. The elk gores the sternum. Blade shaves foe's shield. Wolf tears rabbit's throat.

"Why should I pay for the crimes of my father! I didn't even know him! I'd have killed him myself for what he did to my mother!"

Jeddar's rage slipped from his soul into his hands. He leapt through the air screaming in defiance of his life. Twin lightning thunders through the air. Soaring eagle catches the clouds. Raging storm through the night. Hades' scythe cuts down the dead. Black tiger claw cuts deep.

"No!" Jeddar checked his anger drawing himself up calming his breathing. He let his swords hang at his side standing completely still. "I am the adopted son of Menkhar Silversun, the High One of the Silver Leaves, the Oak of the Forest. I will behave according to my station. I am above such feelings."

"Anithiil will have to-," Jeddar checked his tone. "The Forest Mother will accept me someday. She cannot hate forever."

Then he ended what he began with one more flourish. Unicorn runs through the woods. Silver waves lap the lakeshore. Swan bows to the wind.

Jeddar stood there body rigid for a moment his arms stretched out from his sides to form a T with his body, his wrists bent down to form an arc with his scimitars. He remained calm.

"I am a Blade of the Tiger. Steel is my peace. Courage is my heart. I will not falter against those that would destroy my home, my family."

Jeddar sheathed his blades. He removed the blindfold his eyes adjusting immediately to the low light of Tethrin's Circle and the forest beyond. The sun was setting behind the Silver Palace of the Sun. His home.

For a moment he thought he could see her standing on the Royal Balcony watching him. He blinked. There wasn't anyone there.

"Someday," Jeddar sighed. "It will be too hard to come home again."

He gathered his belongings at the edge of the glade leaving Tethrin's Circle, maybe for the last time. As he left he did not see the figure step back out onto the Royal Balcony.

Last edited:

Taboo

First Post
Great update. I could almost picture it in my mind and that's the kind of writing I like to read.

The emotions were there. Really excellent. I can't wait for the next one!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Taboo said:
Great update. I could almost picture it in my mind and that's the kind of writing I like to read.

The emotions were there. Really excellent. I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks Taboo!

I went over this scene in my mind for several nights in a row trying to decide how to best write what I pictured in my head.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. You close your eyes and you're there standing at the edge of the glade watching, as if from the Ethereal.

Seeing everything but not being seen.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
THESSA'S SOLILOQUY

The Great Forest, Silverleaf, That same day:
Thessa was enjoying herself so much she couldn't stop giggling. Dozens of small forest animals sat all around her chirping and chattering. A roan stag stood no less then ten feet away grazing in front where she was laying on the grass. She was using her elbows to prop herself up slightly kicking her feet in amusement.

Her Speak with Animals spell was allowing her to get to know the denizens of the forest around Silverleaf. Several rabbits started trying to talk to her all at once.

"No. Uh-huh. Hmm, interesting. What was that you said? Wait... wait... not all at once." Thessa scrunched up her face trying not to burst out into complete hysterics.

"Ok, that's better. Oh, you want to hear more about my home. But I've told you everything there is to know."

The rabbits bounded up an down in front of her excitedly twitching their noses.

"Oh all right. I'll tell you again. My home is many, many, many trees south of here. Further, even, then the homes of the savage tall ones."

All of the animals gathered closer towards her including a squirrel that parked itself on the middle of her back. Even the great stag lifted its head to hear.

"Alright," Thessa squirmed a little as the squirrel made itself comfortable. "You can sit there but please don't chew on my hair, ok?"

The squirrel chattered curling up into a ball to listen.

"Uh-huh, thank you.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, my home is half way up the side a huge rock like those." Thessa pointed with her left hand to the Greystone Mountains in the distance.

"All around this great rock are other great rocks and trees as far as the flowing waters that encircle and pass through the ground. There, in the trees are little animals a lot like you, as well as magical, colored birds and other things.

Hmm, what's that? What other things? Well, like slithering and crawling things. Not things you mamma would want me to tell you about." Thessa looked over at the rabbits' mother. She was friendly but tense. With so many little ones in her care, Thessa understood.

"Anyway, also in the great trees around my home are the Living Ones. The great tree people of my home. And the greatest of them is the Lord of the Forest. He is its protector and king. And a great friend of my people.

Hmm, what's that? Yes, he is very nice and loves all the creatures of the forest. Yes, even the slithering and crawling things. Well, most of them.

Hmm, what's that? Oh, the great rocks. Yes, that's my home but so is the forest. Well, really they’re the same thing. For you see little ones, the trees extend high onto the great rocks where my kind live. Almost to the top of the great rocks.

There, my kind, live under the ground. Yes, like where you and your mamma live but much bigger. But we also live above ground like this fine looking fellow."

Thessa pointed to the stag.

"And we also live in the trees like the tall ones you know. Hmm, what's that? Do I live in a tree? No little one, I live in the ground like you but I do have friends who live in the trees."

Thessa flips her golden hair staring towards the Greystone Mountains. Out of the corner of her eye she notices several silver elves walking by speaking with Dabuk and Dvalin. The dwarf's jovial voice carries over the forest like thunder startling the stag. The beast bolts away into the underbrush.

Thessa giggles as several other small animals dart into the safety of the trees. The little gnome priestess can't take her eyes off her friend. Then the squirrel on her back chatters in her ear turning her face red.

"N-no," Thessa sighs forlornly. "He isn't my mate. Just my friend. He already has a mate. Well, sort of."

The squirrel chatters again, confused. Either he does or he doesn't.

"N-no," Thessa searched her mind for the right way to explain it to the animal. "It's not like with the other tall ones. H-he is promised to another tall one. Hmm, what's that mean? He has a mate who isn't his mate yet. Understand?"

The squirrel nuzzled her neck chattering. It still didn't understand.

"Yes, it is confusing. And it makes me sad."

The animals gathered closer around the little gnome trying to comfort her lost heart.

Last edited:

Taboo

First Post
As promised, another great post....

I can tell that you really put a lot of thought into your writing, it really shows. This stays at the top of my favorite story hours, and one reason is the depth of emotion in each of the characters.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Taboo said:
As promised, another great post....

I can tell that you really put a lot of thought into your writing, it really shows. This stays at the top of my favorite story hours, and one reason is the depth of emotion in each of the characters.

Thanks again, Taboo. I didn't have to mull this one over as much as Jeddar's because I already had it visualized in my head.

Anyway, next up is Dvalin then Rikin. And then I get back to the main campaign storyline.

Cheers!

p.s. BTW, have you read my Divinity War Story Hour? :D

Taboo

First Post
As a matter of fact, I've been reading that one, too! :D

I haven't been able to keep up with that one as closely, but only have a couple of postings to catch up on. Both stories are excellent, but I have to admit that this one's my favorite. Mostly because of the characters, I think.

I did start reading the Divinity War Story Hour First, so that was the one that got me started.

Remove ads