Kobold HP

the Jester

Legend
I just sent this very question to the Sage last night; I'll chime back in when I have the official answer. I've yet to see a really convincing argument either way except that CRs for kobolds would be really broken if all their HD were halved.

But I do believe that the "standard" kobold in the MM is a first-level warrior.

dcollins

Explorer
I don't see as there's any need to ask the Sage anything in this regard.

The MM kobold is clearly not a warrior. It has the standard non-classed humanoid's HD-type, BAB, skill points, etc., as indicated in the front of the book. It just happens to be the only example of a humanoid with fractional base hit dice. The rules at the start of the MM are very clear as to what happens when adding a class to a creature with less than one HD -- they get a full hit die for the class.

That's obviously not what the MM kobold stat block presents -- it is, instead, fully compliant with the unclassed humanoid stat breakdown.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Well, you may be right... not sure just yet, as the email addie I have for the Sage is wrong! I garnered it from the WotC website (what, you say, their site isn't perfect?? :rolleyes: )- anyone know the right one off hand?

the Jester

Legend
Just looked at it, Knight... I have been running it pretty much like you say, but I am curious as to the actual "official" thinking on the subject (and have been for, oh, a year now). Thus the email to the Sage.

Remove ads