• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold HP

the Jester

Legend
I just sent this very question to the Sage last night; I'll chime back in when I have the official answer. I've yet to see a really convincing argument either way except that CRs for kobolds would be really broken if all their HD were halved.

But I do believe that the "standard" kobold in the MM is a first-level warrior.

dcollins

Explorer
I don't see as there's any need to ask the Sage anything in this regard.

The MM kobold is clearly not a warrior. It has the standard non-classed humanoid's HD-type, BAB, skill points, etc., as indicated in the front of the book. It just happens to be the only example of a humanoid with fractional base hit dice. The rules at the start of the MM are very clear as to what happens when adding a class to a creature with less than one HD -- they get a full hit die for the class.

That's obviously not what the MM kobold stat block presents -- it is, instead, fully compliant with the unclassed humanoid stat breakdown.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Well, you may be right... not sure just yet, as the email addie I have for the Sage is wrong! I garnered it from the WotC website (what, you say, their site isn't perfect?? :rolleyes: )- anyone know the right one off hand?

the Jester

Legend
Just looked at it, Knight... I have been running it pretty much like you say, but I am curious as to the actual "official" thinking on the subject (and have been for, oh, a year now). Thus the email to the Sage.

Remove ads