Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sarten shakes his head in an an attempt to clear it. Just a dream. I should have gone to bed earlier.

He orders an egg and water for breakfast, quietly lost in his thoughts for now.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Trogdor1992
The Tiefling fills his plate with the stew and a few other things before returning to the bar. "A drink please friend, something strong, though perhaps not as strong as last night." the Tiefling says to Durst.
"I'll try a glass of that, I would also like to see about the price for a cask of ale, for the road."
Durst nods to Vak'tiel. "Tell you what, I'll throw in a free glass of Vinewood port for you and if you still want the glass of Zintalistra you can pay the 5 gold. As for a cask of ale, you'll have to either seek out on of the brewmaster in the city or head over to Helman's Bar to see if he's got an extra cask of ale that he'll be able to sell you. I know he sells both Brin Zwiesher and Spiegle's Own. My deal with the Brewers and Distillers Guild doesn't allow me to sell by the cask."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: DM's Note: Okay, it is here that it gets really hard to get all the details of what was said in The Felled Ogre and some of the interactions on the Market Bridge afterwards. A lot of it is missing from the Google Cache. I'm going to completely rebuild the next post, the lost post about the bottles, from memory. Part of it was saved in parts of posts by Scott DeWar and kinem, but only snippets. In fact, there might be two major posts missing (from the discussion in the Inn) and some more of your related posts. I'm not sure. The rebuilt post will take some time and will likely turn out a bit different than the original.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caldrin wakes from his Reverie, startled by his dark visions. He shakes his head and blinks away sweat from his eyes. He knew what he'd experienced is what humans call a nightmare. Once he calms himself with his breathing, he looks around his and Vak'tiel's room and notes that the tiefling has already awoke and left the room. He cleans himself up and gathers his things before heading out into the hallway. He runs into Sarten at the top of the stairs and two of them head down to the Felled Ogre's common hall.

He finds that most of the others were up already. A large table of food dominates the hall and Caldrin sees that Vak'tiel is already barting for more wine. Cal smiles to himself. He knows the tiefling can handle it. Durst greets the kobold first, offering him a kobold delicacy, and then watches as the warmage takes a modest portion.

Originally Posted by kinem
Sarten shakes his head in an an attempt to clear it. Just a dream. I should have gone to bed earlier.

He orders an egg and water for breakfast, quietly lost in his thoughts for now.
Durst notes that Sarten only takes some eggs and a mug of water. "Nothing more, Sarten?"

Durst then notices Cal.

"Ah, Caldrin." Durst says with a big smile. "I've made something special for you. There is something called Wina Talla and an elven wine called Zintalistra. The first glass is free. After that, you'll have to pay 5 gold per glass."

"Wina Talla, never heard of it," Cal replies. "And I doubt its real Zintalistra. That is... impossible."

"Really?" Durst points out the bottle and the elven dish.

The Wina Talla smells very familiar to Caldrin. He immediately flashes back to his earliest childhood memories. "It cannot be," he gasps. "Tassarvene! The meat is, different, but it's definitely Tassarvene." The elf grabs a plate and fills it with the elven dish and some seeded bread to eat with it. He almost forgets about the wine. He picks it up, examines it, and nearly drops it on the floor.

"Careful," Durst says.

"Wh- where did you get this bottle?" Cal's tone is immediately serious.

“A merchant I recently met sold it to me,” Durst replies. “Is it not what it's supposed to be? I'd hate to have gotten swindled.”

“Is this the same trader who sold you the poisoned bottle from last night?” Cal asks.

“Of course not!” Durst exclaims. “I'd never be so foolish as to serve wine from a bad lot. Now, what is it? The price I paid for it and the other seven bottles was substantial, but it seemed fair considering the merchant told me the vintage is quite rare.”

"Other seven bottles!" Call yells.

Cal's knees nearly give out under him. 'This cannot be a coincidence,' he thinks. 'For them to be here at this time.' His gaze crosses the face of his friend Vak'tiel for a moment before landing squarely on the face of Shrough who is standing nearby. 'Does he know? I wonder.' Cal sits down in a chair near the table cradling the precious bottle in both hands.

Cal, what's is it?” Caius asks.

“Thylaththeas... this bottle... and the others come from Thylaththeas. If they're real.” He looks at the bottle again. “No, it's not a fake. There is no way a non-elf could have ever have fabricated them and no elf would ever do something so, so sacrilege. At least, I hope not.” He looks at Durst. “I can hardly believe that you have eight bottles of true Zintalistra let alone one.”

“So, they are valuable. Is the wine any good?”

“You do not understand, you cannot serve this to your guests! And to sell it by the glass would be considered sacrilege to elves!”

"Cal, you need to calm down and explain,” Caius insists. “And while I can tell this is important to you, the bottles belong to Durst. They are his to do with as he pleases.”

“You don't understand,” Cal sighs. “This isn't just about me. If Shrough knows what I know, he won't want anyone drinking it either and I know that there are elves in Bard's Gate. If they learn Durst has 8 bottles of Zintalistra, it could lead to chaos in the streets.”

“You mentioned Thylaththeas, what is that?” Durst asks calmly.

“Thylaththeas is a legend,” Cal shakes his head. “Well, I always believed it was a legend, but here is the proof of it.” He holds up the bottle. “Thylaththeas was an ancient elven civilization that once flourished on and around Tinechorean Peninsula, which divides the Illiadis Sea from the Varv-Aran Sea. Thylaththeas was both a city-state and a seafaring empire that dominated commerce and warfare throughout much of what is know known as the Center Lands. My people believe that it was the Elven gods that taught the Hellenic gods about the universe and when they rose up against the Titans, it was with the help of Corellon and the rest of the Seldarine that they claimed their rightful place as the Olympians.

“That is where the legend of Thylaththeas begins. The city-state was founded by the elves as place to work with and worship beside humanity as equals. While the populace started out mainly elvish, the kingdom quickly brought all the humans in the region together in unity. Both the Hellenics and the Seldarine were considered the patron gods of the city-state, and it was Thylaththeas that became the center for the culture that would come to dominate all the lands around the Tinechorean Peninsula to this day.”

“And, the bottles, why are they important?” Caius asks.

“Zintalistra was a gift from the gods to the elven leaders of Thylaththeas,” Cal replies. “The legend describes them as an Ambrosia, a type of magical drink that grants immortality those who drink it. While I doubt that is true, the act of drinking from such a bottle would be an affront to the history of elvenkind. If news of these bottles gets out, the elves in Bard's Gate will want to safeguard them from those who, they believe, would test the legend. If they are denied this birthright, it could lead to disaster for all of Bard's Gate.”

“I had no idea,” Durst sighs.

“I'm sorry, but you must give them up not only for your own safety but the safety of the city.”

“I cannot do that,” Durst replies. “I'm going to have to let the Brewers and Distillers Guild know about them. To do otherwise could cost me my business. The guild will likely want to take charge of them until this story can be verified, if that's even possible. They might even want to auction them off.”

“You cannot let them do that!”

“Easy, Cal. There are guild laws Durst must obey, as there are laws I must obey,” Caius says. “I will have to tell my superiors about the bottles as well. They will work to convince the guild to keep this quiet, but it might already be too late.” Caius looks at several of the Ogre's other guests who'd been listening to the conversation. “We will do what we can, after all, no one here wants rioting in the streets.” The Free Defender makes sure he locks eyes with every guest in the room before looking at Durst. “You're going to have tell you employees to keep this quiet.”

“I will tell them to stay silent,” Durst replies.

“They c-cannot be s-sold,” Cal says glumly. “It would be a disaster.”

“More than likely the leaders of the city will confiscate the bottles from the guild. A price might have to be paid from the city's coffers to the guild, but I'm sure High Burgess Cyleria will want to keep the city from descending into chaos. She is a half-elf, after all,” Durst tries to assure Cal.

“I hope you are right,” Cal stands up and places the bottle on the table carefully. He searches for its cork, which he finds sitting on the table near the elven dish. He places the cork back in the bottle just as Durst walks over to him and helps reseal the bottle.

Cal thinks about his nightmare as the two of them reseal the bottle with its cork and some wax. 'There are eight bottles and there were supposed to be eight of us,' he thinks. He remembers an old love who had shared his passion for the legends of the elvish people. He'd watched her die in his dream just like he'd watched her die in real life. “Amkissra,” he mumbles to himself. “Does this have something to do with you?”

Durst looks a him, puzzled.

“I have to ask, did anyone else here have a disturbing dream last night? What humans call a nightmare?”

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: DM's Note: As part of the lost post, Durst offers to provide a different type of breakfast wine for their meals, as a replacement for the Zintalistra. I think

"I will take that instead then, and I'll pay you for two more as well. Thank you for the information as well." Vak'tiel says, before handing the coin to Durst.

Turning to Cal. "Indeed I did, the first nightmare I've had since I begun drinking in fact. It was odd, for some reason I was fighting you, except it wasn't really you, it was some dark version of the person I know."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scotley
Jagr awakens with a roar. He struggles to his feet and pulls open the door. He is panting as if from exertion. "Good Caius, I am sorry if I troubled your sleep. I fear the forces arrayed against us tried to reach me in dreams last night." Then he shrugs, "Or perhaps my imagination is just carried away with the events of yesterday. I think we must question Vectēvs and see if he...it was truly trying to warn me. Give me moment to gather my things." He starts to turn away and then adds, "if you could have some water sent, I have a powerful thirst," he asks humbly. Then he moves to gather his things. Soon enough he is ready to meet the others.
Caius heads off to tell Durst. Neither he nor Durst bring him any water, forcing Jagr to head downstairs to the main hall. He arrives just in time to hear Caldrin begin ranting about an elven wine bottle sitting on a table next to him.

Caius looks at Jagr and turns red. 'I forgot,' he mouths to the catfolk ranger.

No one else notices him enter the room. All eyes are trained on Cal and Durst. The smell of food and drink hit Jagr's nostrils. He quickly finds a pitcher of water at the near end of the table.

OOC: Jagr comes in when Cal yells "Other seven bottles!"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by JustinCase
Kisep politely takes the dish of the traditional kenku meal and chats a bit with his companions. He does not mention his dreams at all, but the bard is clearly unfocused. He stirs his food with a spoon, but does not take a bite. His familiar, however, uses Kiseps lack of attention to its advantage and stands on the table picking tasty bits off the plate and swallowing them whole. Every so often, Kisep looks at Durst with some suspicion. Finally, he asks, "Why are you serving us these delicacies? How did you just happen to have this in stock?"

Shaking his head, the kenku seems to change his mind. "Forgive me, I did not wish to offend you. Just had a rough night, is all."
"After learning about you all, that's the story that Wilie told me was real. I felt I needed to do something special for today," Durst replies. "Of course, it's not unusual for me to provide a breakfast tailored to my guests, but in this case, I went all out. I felt I owed it to Wilie for not believing him about his tall tale."

Durst takes the elven wine bottle behind the bar and stashes it out of sight. "I had no idea that this would happen." He looks at Cal. "Caldrin, you have my apologies. I promise you I won't sell the wine, for now. As I said, I'll have to tell the guild abo-"

"But," Cal interrupts.

Durst holds up his hand in protest. "Regardless of the risks you've mentioned. I have an obligation to tell them, and I'll likely have to tell the city's council as well, alongside Caius. They may force me to hand the bottles over for safe keeping, although the local brewers will be angry if they do so."

Durst turns back to Kisep. "It is strange. Many of the ingredients I used for this meal came to me either by accident or through luck. At least, that's what I thought at the time. It may be as Cal says, and if so, someone is playing a dangerous game with me, with you, with all of us."

Durst sits down on a stool behind the bar. "I didn't have any strange dreams, unless you think dreaming about I helped slaying a blue dragon strange. Ah, what an adventure that was."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Knightfall
Durst notes that Sarten only takes some eggs and a mug of water. "Nothing more, Sarten?"
"Eh? Oh. It's plenty. I don't need as much food as some folk" the kobold replies.

Later in the conversation he admits "I did have a disturbing dream overnight, and I don't usually dream. We'd better ask Vectevs if there could be a connection."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I will take that instead then, and I'll pay you for two more as well. Thank you for the information as well." Vak'tiel says, before handing the coin to Durst.
Durst thanks Vak'tiel, takes the payment, and pulls a new bottle out from behind the bar. He uncorks it and takes it over to the table and fills a glass for for the tiefling. He hands Vak'tiel the glass. The innkeepers mood has brightened a bit. He's not the sort to let such things keep him down for long.

"Eh? Oh. It's plenty. I don't need as much food as some folk" the kobold replies.
"Ah, well, enjoy your eggs," Durst says to the kobold.

Durst finally notices Jagr's arrival and points to the roast boar on the table. "It's made in the traditional way of your people. A bit undercooked with some agjoc leaves for flavor."

"Indeed I did, the first nightmare I've had since I begun drinking in fact. It was odd, for some reason I was fighting you, except it wasn't really you, it was some dark version of the person I know."
"My dreams started out with visions of lost loved ones, which quickly became a nightmare of death, as I saw many of the tragic deaths I've witnessed in my life," Cal replies. He looks at Vak'tiel. "And then you were there, but it wasn't you. Like you, I dreamt of your dark doppelganger. It was if we never met, and the confrontation turned bloody. It ended with the sound of laughter from a person, a being that I could not see. Then there was darkness." Cal rubs his temples. "I came out of the dreamstate soon after that. It was very disturbing. I wondered if it meant something, and now I'm sure it does."

Later in the conversation he admits "I did have a disturbing dream overnight, and I don't usually dream. We'd better ask Vectevs if there could be a connection."
"It does sound like there is a connection, at least amongst yourselves," Caius agrees. "The rest I had the stables was uneventful. If I dreamt of anything, I don't remember. I would have slept longer, if we didn't have to go to see High Harpist Strann at the auditorium and, maybe even, Geldin Lucan at The Written Note this morning."

"I agree with Sarten. We should go ask Vectēvs about the bottles and a possible connection to Yenejg and the medallion," Cal says. "I doubt Odals Alzota is personally connected to the bottles. Durst, the person who sold the bottles too you, can you describe him?"

"Her, actually," Durst replies. "While I'd never met her personally before she sold me the bottles, a friend of mine, Theoderic, introduced her to me two weeks ago. She was staying in a small villa on the Lower Ring of The Hill while in the city. She rented it out for the month. Her name is Wikelina Jongbloed."

"So, she's still in Bard's Gate," Cal bolts up out of his chair.

"As far as I know."

"We must go see her immediately," Cal insists.

"One thing a time, Cal," Caius says. "I know I'm new and bit of an outsider in this group, but we shouldn't just run around the city following every new lead without some order to how to pursue things. Besides, The Hill is one of the wealthiest districts in the city. One does not just head up there and start banging on villa doors asking questions. It could get us into real trouble, fast."

"I can probably get you a meeting with her, if she's still in the city," Durst offers.

"Very well," Cal sighs. "But as soon as possible, please." Cal looks at Sarten. "Sarten, what did you dream about?" He asks the kobold. "Were any of us in it?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sarten replies "No, just a typical bad dream I had thought.

Let's see ... I dreamed of home at first, and then a vast desert filled with giant scorpions and cackling embermages. The sun became ice and everything froze with lots of snow. There were ice trolls killing people. At first I thought it was Bard's Gate, but then I recognized it as 'the City of Delights', Huzuz, in Zakhara. Towers of ice sprang up and a booming voice said 'Freeze forever in darkness little dragon, just like your kin'. Then I woke up."

Remove ads