• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur endures the attack from semi-hidden spider behind the doors and steps back, slamming the doors behind him.

OOC: 5' step backward away from the webs (the attack missed anyhow). Ideally he would push the door side back into place so we can keep the chokepoint.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: 5' step backward away from the webs (the attack missed anyhow). Ideally he would push the door side back into place so we can keep the chokepoint.
OOC: Maur can 5-ft step back as part of your turn for round one. Closing the open door is a move action, so you can have him do that in round two. Also the door is heavy, so it requires a DC 10 Strength check.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Move, you big galoot! I want to have the some fun too!!" Quinn says to Angus.

"A'm stuck in th' basted webs! A bawherr hulp!" Angus replies, a little annoyed.

Quinn hadn't noticed the webs on the ground before now. They are almost invisible on the ground. If the animated webs weren't writhing, he wouldn't have seen them at all. The gladiator-knight decides to help Angus. He straps his bow onto his back and draws his spiked chain. He is just close enough to hit the webs. "Hold still."

"Whit? Hauld yer fillies!"

OOC: ScottDeWar_jr posted on the Discord that he doesn't want to drop his bow. So, the damage he rolled vs the webs will get moved to next round.

Last edited:

"We cannot hold them here without getting enmeshed in the webs. Will the webs burn?" shouts Litrix as he slashes the spider in front of him. Pure resounding note echoes across the courtyard motivating allies further.
"Hold on, Angus, Maur, they are killed easily, just don't let them swarm us. We have them! Keep them contained."

Hits AC 39 for 13 and 20 for 14 damage
Add 1 more if spiders are evil (and they need to roll Fort DC 17 take 1d3 Str damage)

Full attack vs medium spider: 1d20+16+2+3+1 = [17]+16+2+3+1 = 39; 1d8+6+1 = [6]+6+1 = 13; 1d20+11+2+3+1 = [3]+11+2+3+1 = 20; 1d8+6+1 = [7]+6+1 = 14

Surpised that I both hit AND got high damage :)

Swift: change the aura since we have no flanking @TaranTheWanderer Phar gets +6 to penetrate spell resistance

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Phar turned to Cearth, who was now beside him,

"I am no expert on such things but an infestation of this size must surely cause strain upon the local ecosystem. It may be prudent to cull much of this nest."

The truth of the matter was things were getting too dire to try to save the spiders. Once the Nightshade was dead, they could worry about the wellbeing of spiders. The Nightshade, though, would not likely open itself to a direct attack.

"As long as they are in the thrall of that thing in there, we will have to fight them to the death," Caerth replies. "We need to get rid of it."
"It is a hive, and that means we got to get the queen," the druid adds.

"With the queen dead, the others will scatter. Our priority lies with the Nightshade."

Screech, the half-orc's owl companion, hoots twice as it flies silently overhead, far out of reach of the mass of spiders and webs, joining the hawk in monitoring the situation from the sky.

OOC: Just a quick post between turns. Ready to take my turn later on.

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 54/54
AC:
23; FF:19 T: 16
TempAC: 25 FF:21 T:18
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+13
Mage Hand; Open/Close; ❏❏Detect Magi;❏❏Electric Jolt;❏❏Prestidigitation
Fort:+4
Will: +8(10) (+1/+2 vs fear)
Refl: +8
Initiative: +3
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket ❏Feather Fall; [][]*Magic Missile; [] Protection from Evil; [] Slide []Feather fall
2nd[6+1](D21) ❏Cat's Grace (DC:21)❏Glitterdust [X][X] [] *Scorching Ray ❏Web; []Luminous Swarm
3rd[6+1](DC22)❏Dispel Magic ❏*Fireball ❏Fly; [ ] [ ]Haste; ❏*Lightning Bolt [X] Summon Monster III
STR:11
DEX: 17 + 3
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 22+7
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 65500/66000
(DC23)4th [5+1❏❏*Fire Shield ❏*Ice Storm [] [] polymorph []Summon Monster IV
5th(4+1) (DC24) [] []Dismissal ; []Wall of FIre; []Break Enchantment; [X] Wall of Force
6th (2+1)[DC25] []Disintegrate; []*Wall of Force; []Cacophonic Burst

Indeed. The spiders are spreading out, I surmise, to circumnavigate the building and surround us.

Phar thinks of the architecture, trying to gauge how long that might take.

Perchance you have a spell that could force its hand and show itself?

Also, just RP. Rounds are 6 seconds but drama is timeless!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"We cannot hold them here without getting enmeshed in the webs. Will the webs burn?" shouts Litrix as he slashes the spider in front of him. Pure resounding note echoes across the courtyard motivating allies further.
"Hold on, Angus, Maur, they are killed easily, just don't let them swarm us. We have them! Keep them contained."
The first slash doesn't kill the attacking spider, but the second stroke of Litrix's blade cuts the spider in two. As the spider falsl to the ground on top of the other dead spider, another one takes its place and tries to bite Litrix. The creature's fangs come close but cannot get past the anointed knight.

"It is a hive, and that means we got to get the queen," the druid adds.

"With the queen dead, the others will scatter. Our priority lies with the Nightshade."

Screech, the half-orc's owl companion, hoots twice as it flies silently overhead, far out of reach of the mass of spiders and webs, joining the hawk in monitoring the situation from the sky.
Indeed. The spiders are spreading out, I surmise, to circumnavigate the building and surround us.

Phar thinks of the architecture, trying to gauge how long that might take.

Perchance you have a spell that could force its hand and show itself?
Aureus tries to calm down. She sheathes her sword and readies her bow. She steps back to try to get a better angle on the spiders.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth thinks of a spider’s natural predators: monkeys, birds, several types of wasps… They all seem too small and insignificant against this hive.

Then he realizes another one, and grins. The grin becomes a toothy, scaly mouth, his hands turn into claws, and a long tail sprouts from his lower back.

Within moments, a lizard bigger than anyone has seen, stands where the druid was, hissing and flicking its tongue while eyeing the arachnids hungrily. Oddly enough the beast still wears the grayish leather armor.

OOC: Wild Shape, then move towards the chamber, climbing the walls if possible.

If I’m not mistaken, I can Wild Shape into a Dire Giant Lizard, right?

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 54/54
AC:
23; FF:19 T: 16
TempAC: 25 FF:21 T:18
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+13
Mage Hand; Open/Close; ❏❏Detect Magi;❏❏Electric Jolt;❏❏Prestidigitation
Fort:+4
Will: +8(10) (+1/+2 vs fear)
Refl: +8
Initiative: +3
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket ❏Feather Fall; [][]*Magic Missile; [] Protection from Evil; [] Slide []Feather fall
2nd[6+1](D21) ❏Cat's Grace (DC:21)❏Glitterdust [X][X] [] *Scorching Ray ❏Web; []Luminous Swarm
3rd[6+1](DC22)❏Dispel Magic ❏*Fireball ❏Fly; [ ] [ ]Haste; ❏*Lightning Bolt [X] Summon Monster III
STR:11
DEX: 17 + 3
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 22+7
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 65500/66000
(DC23)4th [5+1❏❏*Fire Shield ❏*Ice Storm [] [] polymorph []Summon Monster IV
5th(4+1) (DC24) [] []Dismissal ; []Wall of FIre; []Break Enchantment; [X] Wall of Force
6th (2+1)[DC25] []Disintegrate; []*Wall of Force; []Cacophonic Burst

Phar moves just enough to get a good look into the ruins to see if he can spot the Nightshade. He looks over his shoulder, then up to his hawk, Featar, to note any danger that might be coming from behind.

5 foot step, if necessary, diagonal and towards the spiders to make a spot check:
Spot check: 1D20+15 = [14]+15 = 29

Pondering the timing of the arrival of more spiders based on the size of the local buildings:
Spiders vs buildings! Architecture check: 1D20+14 = [9]+14 = 23

I'll hold my post/My standard action because it really depends on what info I gather. Anywhere from buffing the party to debuffing the enemies, to total chaos and destruction!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth thinks of a spider’s natural predators: monkeys, birds, several types of wasps… They all seem too small and insignificant against this hive.

Then he realizes another one, and grins. The grin becomes a toothy, scaly mouth, his hands turn into claws, and a long tail sprouts from his lower back.

Within moments, a lizard bigger than anyone has seen, stands where the druid was, hissing and flicking its tongue while eyeing the arachnids hungrily. Oddly enough the beast still wears the grayish leather armor.
The spiders seem confused by the sudden appearance of the dire monitor lizard. Shouzas, as well, isn't sure what to make of the large lizard but when Caerth menaces the spiders and not him, he seems content to share the roof with this strange new ally.

JustinCase said:
Wild Shape, then move towards the chamber, climbing the walls if possible.

If I’m not mistaken, I can Wild Shape into a Dire Giant Lizard, right?
OOC: Any large creature. Plus, at 12th level, Caerth can now wildshape into plant creatures. When you say move towards the chamber, do you mean back towards Stratesus' Chamber, or forward along the wall towards the open corridor? Note that the stats I posted for the dire monitor lizard doesn't have a climb speed, so I'd need a DC 5 Climb check for Caerth to climb up onto the roof using Shouzas' rubble ramp or a DC 15 Climb check to stay on the wall. A standard Climb check is at one-quarter speed (10 ft.). Add +5 to Climb checks at half speed (20 ft.).

Phar moves just enough to get a good look into the ruins to see if he can spot the Nightshade. He looks over his shoulder, then up to his hawk, Featar, to note any danger that might be coming from behind.
Phar tries to peer through the dozens of spider legs and mess of webs to spot the Nightshade, but the creature continues to be hard to see. The ooze seems to be protecting the extraplanar spider. It shifts and weaves and does all it can to make seeing anything incredibly hard.

Using Featar as a guide, the elf paragon immediately notes that there are several places in the ruins where the spiders could come out easily. He even sees one of the larger spider exit the ruins by the room just beyond the old armoury. There is also major gaps in the roof near the overgrown fountain. There looks like there could be gaps there as well, but it tough to see. He also notes that the doors leading into the room where the group encountered the snake are standing wide open. Could they come through the weakened wall in that room too? Phar isn't sure. There is also the broken wall behind the dais, but Phar remembers that the other walls of that room are intact.

Angus decides not to wait for Quinn's help. He slashes at the webs around his front legs, once, twice. He is soon free. He slams his shield into the spider directly in front of him and then steps back from the webs just before they begin to surge forward again, as the colossal ooze shifts towards the the corridor.

It's movement is unimpeded by the crumbling walls of the corridor. Sections of stone and mortar is broken from the old walls as the creature engulfs entire sections of the broken walls. Two spiders riding on the ooze are shifted 5 feet west and then 5 feet north as the ooze begins to squeeze its way through the corridor.

In the courtyard, the webs shift 5 feet forward. The webs don't touch Angus or Maur, but they do flow around Litrix's feet and legs. The anointed knight soon finds himself stuck in the webs.

OOC: I've decided that characters can react to the webs with a DC 16 Reflex save as an Immediate Action, as long as the character didn't use a Swift Action on their turn. (I should have allowed that for Angus too.) Since @MetaVoid used a swift action to change the aura, Litrix can't avoid the webs this round. He must make a DC 16 Strength check (full-round action), DC 14 Escape Artist check, or do 12 points of damage to the webs to get free (next round).

The animated webs are considered to be AC 0 to hit and have DR 5/-. Attack rolls aren't required to hit the webs. Just roll damage vs. them. The Living Web ooze itself does have a higher AC, however, and must be attacked normally.

Remove ads