• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[L&L] Best Metamagic Feats

Dandu

First Post
For 3.5e?

Invisible
Fell Drain
Extend
Empower
Quicken
Persist

Roughly in that order.

Last edited:

Alexander123

First Post
Extend level 5.
Empower level 6.
Quicken level 9.
Maximize level 12.
Persistent level 15.

Not sure about the sixth one or whether I would even take a sixth metamagic feat.

Runestar

First Post
Extend (3rd lv, to qualify for sculpt spell).

Sculpt (5th lv, or 6th, in the case of sorcs).

Maximize (probably 9th or 10th lv as I doubt I can squeeze it in later; maximized orbs of acid are just so sexy in my book).

Chain spell (lv12? So I can do funny things like chained nerveskitter or GMW).

Maybe quicken later on (around lv15+).

No idea about a sixth either, rest don't seem so attractive to me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like most of 'em, and which ones I'd pick depends on what kind of caster I'm building.

If my PC depends on buffs or spells with significant durations, I want Extend spell.

If I'm concerned about #dice I roll and their totals, I want Empower and Maximize.

If I'm an elemental caster, I want Energy Substitution and Energy Admixture.

If I'm playing a guy who specializes in ranged touch spells, I'll want Reach Spell to expand my repertoire...and possibly Split Ray or Twin Spell.

If I'm a martial or subtle spellcaster...one who may find himself alone, grappled or otherwise in melee, Still Spell and Silent Spell are high on my list.

And any of my builds may include a Reserve (or Heritage/Bloodline) feat.

Empirate

First Post
Depends on campaign power level - in a low-level campaign, I'd consider Sudden Maximize, Sculpt, and Extend, but not much else.

In a mid-level game, I like Split Ray and Empower.

In a high-level campaign with metamagic cost reducers easily available, I'll go into the costly things: Quicken, Persist, Chain, maybe Twin.

To name six in the order of importance in a high-level game:
Quicken
Sculpt
Persist
Empower
Split Ray
Chain

Last edited:

Remove ads