L4W Discussion Thread IV

Luinnar

First Post
Speaking of Players handbook 3; the L4W Charter might need to be changed, or at least made clearer with the addition of hybrid rules.

Once before your character is approved for level 2, you may do an overhaul of your character. This is a single opportunity in that character’s career to recreate all mechanical aspects of the character except for class, race, and basic character concept. The overhaul must be approved as per the normal rules for character approval, and requires DM permission if the character is involved in an adventure.
But what about hybrids?

How about allowing hybrids the ability to either drop or switch out one of their classes before level 2?

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I agree with Ren. DnD doesn't allow class changes except under special circumstances. What I've read of hybrid characters doesn't mark them as any different.

Dunamin

First Post
Speaking of Players handbook 3; the L4W Charter might need to be changed, or at least made clearer with the addition of hybrid rules.

But what about hybrids?

How about allowing hybrids the ability to either drop or switch out one of their classes before level 2?
The level 2 limitation was removed. I'd update the charter, but before that can anyone recall where this change was passed? (Just to be sure)

renau1g

First Post
Personally, I think the retirement rules work better for that. We've had a number of PC's who haven't worked out as the player planned it and they retired and created a new PC.

I think those going into the Hybrid classes should be well aware that the risk of a less than optimized PC is there, much greater risk than PHB I & II classes. I believe there's even a warning from the devs about that. If someone creates a staff wizard/Brutal scoundrel... well there's 2 main stats and 0 synergies there so I don't feel that bad for them.

Yup: here it is:
Proceed with Care
The system of classes and roles in D&D is designed to ensure that every character has a clear purpose at the table and that no character can easily become marginalized by poor choices made in character creation. The hybrid character system discards many of
the safeguards built into the normal class system. Even though every effort has been made to craft a hybrid system that creates characters that are as viable as their single-class comrades, the sheer number of combinations available ensures that
some combinations might feel less effective than others

Luinnar

First Post
Personally, I think the retirement rules work better for that. We've had a number of PC's who haven't worked out as the player planned it and they retired and created a new PC.
I was thinking of that just now, that the new retirement rules (did that pass?) would take care of the problem. :)

Edit: How long is it after a book is released that is gets approved for use by the way?

Last edited:

LadyLaw

First Post
I was thinking of that just now, that the new retirement rules (did that pass?) would take care of the problem. :)

Edit: How long is it after a book is released that is gets approved for use by the way?
Yes, I believe it did pass (the retirement thing).

I also believe it's 1 month after book release that it's playable, but I think that would be the official public release date, which for PHB3 isn't until the 16th.

Remove ads