L4W Discussion Thread V

covaithe

Explorer
Anyone can subscribe to the Approval Requests page and get an email when it changes. That's not perfect, since it doesn't tell you *what* changed; you get emailed when someone else approves a character and removes it, for example.

The Approved Characters page does look pretty sparse. I think that it's not getting updated when SR approvals happen, rather than that no characters are being approved. See for example this diff, which shows three characters getting removed from the list. Checking the sheets, they seem to be approved. But they're not listed on approved characters.

I dunno; is the approved characters page too obnoxious to keep up to date? Should we just drop it? SRs, I'd welcome your input.

I thought that when an SR finalizes an approved character, he added the Approved category to the sheet, which would then auto-populate the Approved characters page? I'm probably thinking of something else, but I thought I had read something to that effect...

covaithe

Explorer
No. The problem with the approved category is that anyone can add it to any sheet. The Approved Characters page can only be edited by SRs.

The idea was that this page would be the place that you look to know if a character is approved or not, and for what level. But if it's not being updated, then it's kind of pointless. If it's inaccurate, we might as well not have it at all.

Karlowitch

First Post
Covaithe said:
Anyone can subscribe to the Approval Requests page and get an email when it changes. That's not perfect, since it doesn't tell you *what* changed; you get emailed when someone else approves a character and removes it, for example.
I didn't know that, Ill make it send me an E-mail ASAP when the page gets an update.

Covaithe said:
The Approved Characters page does look pretty sparse. I think that it's not getting updated when SR approvals happen, rather than that no characters are being approved. See for example this diff, which shows three characters getting removed from the list. Checking the sheets, they seem to be approved. But they're not listed on approved characters.

I dunno; is the approved characters page too obnoxious to keep up to date? Should we just drop it? SRs, I'd welcome your input.

I don't think the page is obnoxious. The problem seems to be that we don't have enough SR's and ,unfortunately, the current SR's haven't had the time to update the approved characters section.

I believe when more and more characters submit for approval and by recruiting more SR's, the page will eventually get updated more and more.

Another problem seems to be that not enough characters are being reviewed.

So, this is a cry out to all players in L4W, please help your fellow players and friends by helping out reviewing characters in "characters requesting Approval" on the wiki :D !

Another solution would be to give an incentive to make reviews, similar to DM Credits, but I am not entirely hooked on that idea.

weldon

Explorer
Is it possible to have the SR's mailed on every change to the autogenerated sheet? That way they could notice and revert unauthorized changes.
You can subscribe to a category and you are emailed anytime a page is added to the category.

What purpose does the approved characters page serve? Do DM's check that list before they accept characters into an adventure? Or do they check each character page to get the details anyways?

I have completed reviewing Shun. He just needs to be moved over to the Approved Characters page.

And Karlowitch...thanks for being the first reviewer on Shun... you put his character through such a wringer that there was only 1 stupidly minor thing that I could find wrong on his sheet. Good job!

Karlowitch

First Post
Weldon said:
What purpose does the approved characters page serve? Do DM's check that list before they accept characters into an adventure? Or do they check each character page to get the details anyways?

I am still new here, but I think it serves at least two functions:

1. Characters whom have not been approved can't receive experience
2. The characters have been checked for possible errors

CrimsonFlameWielder said:
ave completed the final approval for Incarnation. Now he just needs an SR to add the Approved Character category and move him into the Approved Characters page! (*Eyes Karlowitch* =P)

I am now moving on to Shun (Weldon).

Done ;)

CrimsonFlameWielder said:
I have completed reviewing Shun. He just needs to be moved over to the Approved Characters page.

And Karlowitch...thanks for being the first reviewer on Shun... you put his character through such a wringer that there was only 1 stupidly minor thing that I could find wrong on his sheet. Good job!
Done, and thanks :). Hopefully I will get some more reviews done later this week.

Remove ads