L4W Discussion Thread V

WEContact

First Post
I can't decide how I want to build this Seeker|Ranger specializing in control:
*Human with Clever Shot, Biting Swarm, and Grasping Spirits (and a bonus feat, huge!) but only 10 CON
*Human with Clever Shot, Twin Strike, and Biting Swarm, (+feat) but only 10 CON
*Drow with Clever Shot and Biting Swarm and 14 CON

Also, Superior Crossbow or Daggers? Range 20 with an expertise that ignores cover and requires two feats (proficiency, speed loader), or Ranged 5 with an extra +1 accuracy that requires one feat (hybrid talent:true seeker's bond, spiritbond)?

Which one do you think would be a better Controller?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
BBM

Isn't a Rythm Blade a magic item? Or do I confuse something again?

Yes, but one would need the first magic item (or a shield) to acquire a shield bonus in the first place (as per the rules quote), and the Rhythm Blade to gain a +1 bonus to that original shield bonus (as per the rules on Rhythm Blade).

It cannot give a bonus to itself.

FourMonos

First Post
*Human with Clever Shot, Biting Swarm, and Grasping Spirits (and a bonus feat, huge!) but only 10 CON

This one seems to have the most control options. You just have to stand way back. Which would seem to fit with a crossbow option better... I like the idea of the daggers though...

Someone

Adventurer
Well, it's still a bit early. But with all the talk about open playtesting and letting them know wat we expect, I wouldn't mind if 5e was some more pbp friendly. And by that I mean things like less interrupts and perhaps a bit less dependant on maps that get obsolete the moment a player pushes an enemy.

Walking Dad

First Post
Maybe I will skip 4e and become a grognard...

jokes aside, the L4W should be kept, like the Living 3rd edition threads were.

---

Better for PbP is unlikely with their "new" focus on face-to-face games. Interrupts work quite well on the table and keep the player focused during others turns.
Boardgames recently also emphasized the simultaneous turn aspect (at least European ones).

Last edited:

treex

First Post
When they say the DM's can make the game as rules heavy or "rules-lite" I just read that as:
"We will have a crap ton of optional splatbooks that may or may not contain the best player options that make it practically mandatory so that we can take your hard-earned moneyz"

For some reason I doubt that they'll drop the square grid map, or worse: implement a hexagonal grid map. That way they can sell you their new maps. And implement more minis to their already large repertoire.

However, I am pretty excited at how they keep selling the fact that the new edition will try to implement all the previous editions. (Which reminds me I have to try the Pathfinder pbp forums before the release of 5e diverts everyone's attention)

Remove ads