L4W Discussion Thread V

hafrogman

Adventurer
What exactly is the problem with the current rules (the one from the other proposal thread that never made it into the charter)?

If you want to focus on a specific weapon or implement you take that feat (with the associated rider benefit once the essentials feats get in). If you want to be more flexible, you pick up versatile expertise.

Basically exactly the same as the base game with the difference that the "feat tax" has been credited back to the account.

CaBaNa

First Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the current solution as well, but every option should get a fair appraisal.

If we find one solution that is more elegant and subtle than another that would be nice. The best solution is one that is barely noticeable but fixes the problem.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong, I like the current solution as well, but every option should get a fair appraisal.
Yeah, if Otakkun wants to change the rule, then a proposal and a review are the way to go. I'm more just really curious as to what the actual issue is.

renau1g

First Post
I don't know too much about the racial specific feats, but wouldn't that proposed solution represent a power increase for nonweapon, nonimplement attacks? For example, a dragonborn's breath weapon would get an extra +1 to attack that it doesn't get if someone chooses versatile expertise with their bonus feat from the current rule.

Which is a much better solution IMO as otherwise the racial powers fall behind, especially as all new racial powers are X+4/+6/+8 (see Minotaur racial). Besides, is Dragon's Breath really an issue? ;)

Dekana

Explorer
It's not called a power "creep" for nothing. ;)

That said, I don't think any of this is much of an issue. I'd rather eliminate our house rule entirely than worry about a feat tax - wizards will sort it out through their own errata (eventually).

Walking Dad

First Post
What exactly is the problem with the current rules (the one from the other proposal thread that never made it into the charter)?

If you want to focus on a specific weapon or implement you take that feat (with the associated rider benefit once the essentials feats get in). If you want to be more flexible, you pick up versatile expertise.

Basically exactly the same as the base game with the difference that the "feat tax" has been credited back to the account.

This or this:

That said, I don't think any of this is much of an issue. I'd rather eliminate our house rule entirely than worry about a feat tax - wizards will sort it out through their own errata (eventually).

I prefer both option much over the LEB method. A untyped vanilla bonus and forbidden feats are not a good way to handle this.

Viracocha

First Post
Welcome, Viracocha!

Approval time is rather variable, but you can play without being approved (just go ahead and enter the tavern). I'm not sure whether there are new adventures starting up at the moment.

It seems that it's a habit to announce yourself when you enter the tavern, but it goes against the character of my... character. Would it be frowned upon if he just goes in quietly until someone engages him in conversation?

Nebten

First Post
It seems that it's a habit to announce yourself when you enter the tavern, but it goes against the character of my... character. Would it be frowned upon if he just goes in quietly until someone engages him in conversation?

"It is common practice for those that visit the Hanged Man to introduce themselves, even if it is not their true name. The bouncers like to know the name of who they may have to rough up later."

Besides do you really want to be one of those guys?

Mewness

First Post
You could always write a little scene in which an NPC engages him enough to get his name. A lot of people end up writing cameos for the barkeep/barmaids/pot boys/bouncers and what have you.

Edit: And bear in mind that the point of the exercise is for people who are watching the tavern thread to be able to identify your character. It doesn't matter whether he literally walks in and introduces himself, provided that his identity comes out in some fashion.

Remove ads