• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Labyrinth of Madness by Monte Cook - Updated November 18, 2005

Sledge

First Post
Majoru: fortunately I tend to assume the characters know what they would. I feel its unfair to require players to dismiss out of game knowledge and then not let them benefit from what would be the in game knowledge of their characters. Obviously in areas designed to misdirect I wouldn't give them any help in backtracking, but for most adventures I have no problem with talking through backtracking if they are confused. On the other hand if I run the adventure well enough they should be able to remember. To further aid them in their second run I actually have the original player created maps from when I originally ran this adventure. It's very interesting to dig up all their notes. Definite nostalgia hit here. The checklist they made of the sigils. Ahhh the good old days.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
We attempted this adventure, but our group split up before we could get really serious about handling the dungeon. We got stuck a couple times, and I think our DM made up a way for us to retreat once he saw what we wanted to do.

I'd love to be able to take a real serious crack at it again!

Sledge

First Post
Introduced 5 characters to the dungeon today on IRC. A Psion with his cohort Rogue, a Barbarian, a Sorceror and his Seneschal Monk.
My new and improved traps are 1 for 3 so far. The party set off the alarm, but realised they did so. The first room creeped out a few of them. The sorceror set off the trap in the snake's mouth with a mage hand spell. The then proceeded into hatch A. Through decent rolling and the fact that night everyone can fly or jump they avoided the crushing damage of the pit closing, however I was expecting this, and so had added a crushing celing as well. A little too much haste and the party got squished a bit. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough to set the tone.

I am currently running this in 3.5. I have allowed the players to use the spell "find the path" which helps them get the sigils in order but it is still a real killer. I love the traps! the thief has a massive DC to find them but I make him be specific about where he is looking.
Last night one of the barbarian got mind swapped into am terribly horrid umber hulk. The players have worked it out but really their characters would be completely confused (some literally), as the barbarian body just attacked the elven ranger and one umber hulk body has started grappling umber hulk. the cleric is in the other fighters body who is in the crossbow mans body who is in the clerics body! I love it.

Anyone knows what happens when the body dies and the minds have swapped?

Will Sullivan

First Post
To respond to the initial comment talking about Elminster, Drizzt, etc. dying soon, well that's the point.

It is a damn hard dungeon that character level (or power) cannot overcome.. unless you want a character that can cast wish or meteor swarm or other high level spells at will.

It requires smart dungeon delving. And that's why it's great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads