• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Labyrinth of Madness by Monte Cook - Updated November 18, 2005

Rystil Arden

First Post
I remember there was some guy who ran Labyrinth of Madness in Forgotten Realms and let the PCs play Elminster, the Seven Sisters, and Drizz't, and they still died almost immediately :lol:

As for posting just to stay ahead of you, everyone is doing that :D

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Nifft said:
Just think how much each of your posts must be worth, compared to Crothian's. ;)

Hmmmm. Good point. Of course, the only reason I'm even on posting right now is because the lady is slow at getting ready. Did I say that out loud? :eek:

Agamon

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
I remember there was some guy who ran Labyrinth of Madness in Forgotten Realms and let the PCs play Elminster, the Seven Sisters, and Drizz't, and they still died almost immediately :lol:

Good lord. I have this adventure, but I've never really given it a read. Don't think I want to anymore...

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Agamon said:
Good lord. I have this adventure, but I've never really given it a read. Don't think I want to anymore...

I think I'll take the advice above and update it to epic levels for my Kalamar game. Having played it once and never completing it, I'm dying to run it (or will the PCs being dying.........) :lol:

Sledge

First Post
Curse you Crothian! Posting twice more in my thread! I'll get you for this.... And your little pseudopod too!

The reason I'm trying to decide the level for this is that I have an epic group at 42nd level... one of these characters is actually a survivor and that would make him an actual return to the labyrinth. This might require a lot of changes and such, however I have another group at 17th level and a 15th level group. The 17th level group wouldn't be able to get to the adventure until probably level 21 or 22, but the 15th level group could be there by 16th level. Obviously this gives me lots of option, but I haven't decided which. Hence this post asking for opinions. So anyone have any?

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Sledge said:
The reason I'm trying to decide the level for this is that I have an epic group at 42nd level... one of these characters is actually a survivor and that would make him an actual return to the labyrinth. This might require a lot of changes and such, however I have another group at 17th level and a 15th level group. The 17th level group wouldn't be able to get to the adventure until probably level 21 or 22, but the 15th level group could be there by 16th level. Obviously this gives me lots of option, but I haven't decided which. Hence this post asking for opinions. So anyone have any?

Changing it t d20 is the hard part. Once you got a 16th level version done, all you've really got to do is advance the creatures and increase trap DCs due to higher spellcasters and better craftsmen. I'd start out making it for the 16th group, then upgrade to 22nd and then to 42nd. You'd have all three ready then. :)

Last edited:

mirivor

First Post
For those of you unfamiliar, The Labyrinth of Madness has got to be one of the most difficult adventures to play or run. It is comparable with the Tomb of Horrors in difficulty surviving (this is the module with a warning on the back outside cover that states you should not take your favorite PCs in, but rather make up subs. It also says that the creators of the module were not given any limitations. They could do what they want....boy, did they ever!!) but its intricacies factor is huge.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!

Put it this way:

If a certain very easily-met condition occurs then the whole labyrinth is alerted to the presence of intruders and they act appropriately.

Healing and most other beneficial magic may not be so thanks to certain conditions pervasive throughout the module.

The whole thing is probably one of the most intrinsic puzzle-like modules that I have ever read. I have yet to run it because I am not sure that my players could figure the dang thing out.

Very scary and very challenging.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads