Language Flavor

rbingham2000

Explorer
I just got this really kickass visual of a Paladin facing off against a powerful minion of Hell, cursing the demon out in Celestial as his eyes blaze bright with holy power, and the demon's pals start backing off with their hands clapped over their ears because they can't stand the sound of the angels' tongue and because all that holy power has more than thrown a scare into them.

Think of the reaction of the elves of Rivendell when Gandalf spoke the words inscribed on the One Ring in the Black Speech of Mordor, and you should have a pretty general idea of how good and evil outsiders would react upon hearing the language of their opposite number.

heirodule

First Post
I have books of cryptic prophecies in my world written "in" innuendo. You have to make a innuendo check to gain their benefits.

Vrylakos

First Post
Wow... what great ideas!

All I know is when my players listen at a door, and hear "Nik-nok nook!" they know its goblins...

Sort of a running joke.

Vrylakos

Afrodyte

Explorer
Tessarael> So, are you in favor of changing the way the Speak Language skill works? Instead of just spending a couple of ranks to gain complete fluency, treat it like any other skill?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Tessarael said:
I spend one skill point on a language and then get bonuses that are not circumstance-specific? That seems rorty. If I only get the bonuses in certain situations with speakers of that language, okay.

IMC, you only get the benefits when actually speaking the language to someone who understands it.

-- Nifft

Centaur

First Post
As New Ideas go, this one is pretty cool. And for those of us who have seen the LotRing, should have been damn obvious.

Will be stealing this one for my game right away...

Remove ads