• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Large Size PCs?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 5.31.02 PM.png

CM

Adventurer
Above all I'd say make sure the player knows that what they're playing is experimental and likely to break if they bend it too far. I've got players in my groups who would try to min-max it, and others who could be trusted to take it easy and not look for every advantage possible.

With that in mind, I'm all for Large PCs as long as their race makes sense for the world, and as a member of an adventuring party. Dark Sun's half-giants were one such race, and 5e's Firbolgs could be another example.

I would likely not let Large PCs use the double weapon damage dice rule for monsters. Instead I'd probably let them increase their weapon die size by one and give them advantage on Strength checks. If the player accepts that, they're probably a good candidate for a Large PC.

Polearm reach shenanigans aren't as big of an issue in 5e because of the hard limit of one reaction per turn, but I'd still turn a wary eye on anybody looking at polearm master.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The regeneration ability is troublesome, and it needs work on its wording.

The troublesome part is that you're talking about a creature who, assuming 10 Hps per level, can be at full health after only resting for one minute per character level.

The wording part is odd because it's not clear if taking fire or acid damage stops your regeneration for just one round or until you take a short or long rest. If the damage only halts your regeneration for a single round, then the refreshing on a short or long rest part of the mechanic (as well as no action being mentioned to use it) is confusing me.

In one of my settings I have a half-troll race who regenerates by being able to spend a bonus action to use its HDs in combat.That kind of regeneration accelerates healing to when it's needed, but it doesn't alter the amount of healing available to the character during the adventuring day.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
The Regeneration feature only heals 1 hp per short or long rest, making it useful mainly in the event of going unconscious with 0 hp (so no action required). If fire or acid damage causes it to go to 0 hp, then it does not heal from that damage and begins death saves as usual. I could reword that to make it more clear.

I guess I was going for something like orc Relentless, but, now that I think about it, I like your hit die solution better and will probably adapt something like that, removing the acid/fire prevention of generation since my trollkin is already vulnerable to those.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
The regeneration ability is troublesome, and it needs work on its wording.

The troublesome part is that you're talking about a creature who, assuming 10 Hps per level, can be at full health after only resting for one minute per character level.

The wording part is odd because it's not clear if taking fire or acid damage stops your regeneration for just one round or until you take a short or long rest. If the damage only halts your regeneration for a single round, then the refreshing on a short or long rest part of the mechanic (as well as no action being mentioned to use it) is confusing me.

In one of my settings I have a half-troll race who regenerates by being able to spend a bonus action to use its HDs in combat.That kind of regeneration accelerates healing to when it's needed, but it doesn't alter the amount of healing available to the character during the adventuring day.

What about something like this?

"REGENERATION. When you take damage, you regain 1 hit point at the start of your next turn. You do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. You regain use of this feature after a long rest."

MechaPilot

Explorer
What about something like this?

"REGENERATION. When you take damage, you regain 1 hit point at the start of your next turn. You do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. You regain use of this feature after a long rest."

Regaining six HPs over six rounds once per day at later levels sounds fairly awful to me. Even at the earliest levels you're getting only two or three HPs over two or three rounds. That's rarely going to be life-saving. I'd almost classify that as a non-ability if I were building the race.

If you regained one hp per level once per long rest you would at least be somewhat equivalent to the dwarf toughness ability which just gives a flat +1 HP per level (but not really because you don't have the extra storage capacity to benefit from additional healing).

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to include the following ability without counting it as part of the race's level of power:

"Regeneration. You are capable of regrowing severed limbs. A finger or toe grows back in a day, a hand or foot in three days, and an arm or leg in a week."

Elon Tusk

Explorer
You regain a hit point on your next turn if you take damage, even if you are at 0 hp.
It doesn't happen 6 consecutive rounds unless you take damage the round before each of those.
While this helps especially at lower levels, it is possible it could still come into play at higher levels with a massive damage attack, say falling off a cliff.

I like the Regrowth idea.
There's nothing in combat thst specifically dismembers, is there?
I can see it useful for some trsps or niche situations.

If I were to add Regeneration as a racial trait, I would go with something like:

Regeneration. As a bonus action, you may spend one of your Hit Dice to recover hit points.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd go with the regeneration of the revenant. 1 hit point at the start of your turn if you have less than half your hit points. Perhaps with the caveat that you must have more than 0 hit points.

Remove ads