D&D 5E Last Chance for Idle Q4 Product Speculation

ccs

41st lv DM
Truth.

Personally I'm somewhat skeptical that we'll see anything major in Q4, at this point. I think Xanathar's 2 is inevitable, and it'll have "the race stuff", but it's likely coming out no earlier than early next year if people have been hired for it recently.

I'm not at all concerned wether a book is something major or not. Just if it's something I'll find interesting/useful (to me).
My ideal release? Would be a MM2 that compiles all the additional monsters that they've included in the various Adventures. + more to hit whatever min. page count. Because I'm not going to buy 1 book for 2-3 pages of content. But I will buy a compiled volume (even though I've already got copies of those pages).
Sadly I doubt that release is ever coming.

jasper

Rotten DM
Wotc will announce on 1 Oct 4 motor vehicles.
Tier 1 will be a motorized road bicycle
Tier 2 will be 4 door sedan model for your average size player
Tier 3 will be a 12 person van module
Tier 4 will a trailer for the con size module.
Prices will be reasonable and generally cost less than your dice collection.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Truth.

Personally I'm somewhat skeptical that we'll see anything major in Q4, at this point. I think Xanathar's 2 is inevitable, and it'll have "the race stuff", but it's likely coming out no earlier than early next year if people have been hired for it recently.

If it is a setting book, my guess is it won't be an extant D&D setting, based on the survey. That said, if they do make a surprise Planescape setting, and actually have the Factions in it and so on (not the terrible Monte Cook version that 4E inexplicably used), then'll I'll buy the fanciest physical version they have, maybe twice if they get DiTerlizzi back for the art (and buy it on Beyond as well of course).

Based on the Unearthed Arcana activity, and Crawford's careful dancing around the unannounced book in the streams discussing the material for it, and that Icewind Dale is on track for the normal ship date, I think we will get another hardcover in Q4. Time will tell on the details.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Given that the Semi-player options books tend to be associated with an existing legacy NPC (Mordenkanen, Xanathar, Volo) and given that several of the UA subclass previews have been undead themed (College of Spirits, Phantom Rogue, Undead Patron Warlock), AND given the release of the ultra-fancy edition of Curse of Strahd, I posit the possibility of Van Richten's Guide to [blah blah blah] as the next book.

Given that the Semi-player options books tend to be associated with an existing legacy NPC (Mordenkanen, Xanathar, Volo) and given that several of the UA subclass previews have been undead themed (College of Spirits, Phantom Rogue, Undead Patron Warlock), AND given the release of the ultra-fancy edition of Curse of Strahd, I posit the possibility of Van Richten's Guide to [blah blah blah] as the next book.

That's an interesting angle. I'm skeptical that it's actually be Van Richten's, but some sort of undead-centric book could be possible.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

There are a ton of other data points that would need to be accounted for among the UA options as presented, though that is a solid book concept.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The following article does a good job laying out the data points involved (I will note that many of the Subclasses and Psionics in particular are probably DOA, or were meant for Theros and rejected, and per Crawford in the Dragon+ streams the variant Class rules and new Feats are in like Flynn):

Last edited:

Guy Icognito

Villager
Splatbook with a random title that namedrops some DnD most of the audience doesn't know.

20 or so subclasses on a couple dozen pages. Updates on the races filling the same. Maybe another 20 with class variants. Maybe 5 pages of spells. The same for feats.

The remaining 100 pages filled with tables or random names. Mebbe an adventure. Or a collection of bad Perkin jokes.

Remove ads