• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Chapter 1 - Homeless)

Ferrix

Explorer
Rix smiled at the garnet, he always appreciated gems. He'll gather the coins together, as well as the two vials for safekeeping.

He points out the masterwork chain shirt to the others, finding it useless himself and almost too heavy to be worth carrying back, almost too heavy. "Someone carry that back."

Now that we've cleared this out, I'm sure the kobolds would enjoy their home back, and I'm sure a profitable arrangement can be made with the humans as to a mining treaty. And I'm sure the kobolds could use a hand setting up a new wave of defensive precautions that I could help with.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Kel stalks out of the kobold home trailing behind his companions, withdrawn and silent, seemingly lost in thought What's going on? I'm starting to see value in these two. They stood strong while the rest of the group fled. They've proven useful. Is it ime for me to leave the woods Huntress? Is it time for me to experience more of the world? Will this lead me closer to You? Will this make me a better Hunter?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The party leaves the now empty tunnels and does a quick sweep of the remnants of the town, but finds no other signs of immediate danger. The heroes do find several fields of forgotten farm fields, which lack any sustenance that can be used for such a large population of the refugees. The town looked like it could comfortably house about 700 people when the homes weren't in such a state of disrepair. It will take a lot of work this spring before the 2,000+ refugees are able to make this a decent home and become self-sufficient.

Rix heads the negotiations with the kobolds, who agree to move out of the town and into their old tunnels. They are grateful for the assistance and look to trade with the Dorinthians when they are established. The kobolds begin to move their various digging tools and other items into the hills. You estimate that there were perhaps only 50 kobolds, and so not a large tribe.

The party heads back to the elven camp, where Lira and Kel enter into a discussion with Silas Generwine, the camp leader. After a few minutes they agree to pack up the camp and head back to the refugee camp, although Silas can't help but to add, "I'm not sure why the group of you would think it a good idea that the humans should live next to a pack of thieving kobolds, but I'm happy to move the lot of them further from elven territory at any rate."

After a couple of days of travel the group enters the camp, Alexander then discussing with Baron Dren Dorin and his daughter, Syra, what was found in the abandoned town. Cal and his warriors are still gone, since the trip to the dwarven lands was longer in duration. That puts Kyle Radnal and his men in charge. Alexander briefs them on what to expect in the settlement. The fighter isn't happy about the nearby kobolds, but seems to be satisfied that there were only a few dozen of them.

The party is taken care of by Heron Silvertongue's priests, who look over and heal any remaining wounds that the characters have suffered.

The elven camp stays behind with the refugees while Radnal's Ruffians and the party enters the abandoned town and does a thorough sweep of the town, killing the remnants of the vermin left over without much of a struggle. The refugees follow a day later. At first it is chaos, as different people argue about who will live in the better homes. A few disappointing incidents of fist fights break out, which are quickly settled by Radnal's Ruffians. Although Baron Dorin is unable to effectively organize the process, Kyle Radnal does a remarkable job of taking over and assigning people to buildings.

You suddenly have a newfound respect for these people as they quickly take to his leadership. After his assignments they start clearing trash, patching up damage with their limited tools or bare hands, and help their new neighbors. Many of them work even through the night. By the second day the town starts to make a remarkable transformation and almost looks livable. The Baron and his daughter, along with their retainers, establish themselves in the government building with the Ruffians moving into the old guard barracks. A family of halfling merchants (the Risenthrops) move into the trade building and begin to make plans on opening business to the population and with the visiting delegations and nearby kobolds.

This chapter of your lives is nearly complete, and it is time to reflect upon your experience. As the sun approaches noon on the second day of the refugees' entry into the town, you allow your exhausted body to relax as someone approaches you...

OOC: Working personal dialogues for next post. It is time to add up experience points and close the 'Homeless' chapter. I'll post in about an hour, after I handle a crying baby.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Rix
[sblock]
Danica comes to you, and hugs you. "Rix! What a great job you've done with those kobolds! Of course, Mr. Radnal worries about them, but I think it's great that you can be close to your people. My father wants to make you the delegate to speak with them, but Mr. Radnal thinks you are too busy and someone else should do it."
[/sblock]

Lira
[sblock]
Silas approaches you, a two glasses of wine in his hand, one of which he gives to you. "Good job, Lira. Finally we can get these humans further away from our city. Still, I was surprised that they did as well with this town as they have so far. What is your opinion on them?"
[/sblock]

Kel
[sblock]
One of the humans, the cleric named Heron Silvertongue smiles at you and comes over to speak. "I have heard from Alexander about your healing technique. It's very similar to how we do it in case of need. If I may ask, what are your skills at healing with herbs versus magic? Some of our most experienced herbal healers have not made it back, (may The Rider carry their souls swiftly), and we could use the expertise."
[/sblock]

Alexander
[sblock]
Syra Dorin walks towards you, followed by the haughty Lady Huffring. She stops in front of you and asks, "Are you enjoying your accomplishments, Alexander? I'm so amazed about what you and Kyle Radnal have succeeded in doing. My father would have had ... difficulties if it weren't for you."
[/sblock]

After your conversation, you are able to mingle a bit and overhear discussions from members of the various foreign delegations. It seems that the dwarves are very pleased about your actions against the goblins and relations, and admire your decency when it comes to attempting peaceful relations with the kobolds. The elves also grudgingly admit surprise at your well thought approach, although they mostly credit Lira and Kel. The gnomes are not pleased, however, and there is a worry of improved relations between the Dorinthians and the hated kobolds.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Deuce Traveler said:
Rix
[sblock]
Danica comes to you, and hugs you. "Rix! What a great job you've done with those kobolds! Of course, Mr. Radnal worries about them, but I think it's great that you can be close to your people. My father wants to make you the delegate to speak with them, but Mr. Radnal thinks you are too busy and someone else should do it."
[/sblock]

After your conversation, you are able to mingle a bit and overhear discussions from members of the various foreign delegations. It seems that the dwarves are very pleased about your actions against the goblins and relations, and admire your decency when it comes to attempting peaceful relations with the kobolds. The elves also grudgingly admit surprise at your well thought approach, although they mostly credit Lira and Kel. The gnomes are not pleased, however, and there is a worry of improved relations between the Dorinthians and the hated kobolds.

[sblock=DM]Rix unaccustomed to the close physical contact shies away from Danica before giving up and returning the hug. He did like her, she was the only one who really treated him well from the start. "I may have time, my kin are an industrious people and their mines may bring business and stability to this small village. Although it has been a while since I have been with my own, it may take some getting used to again." He smiles draconically, teeth showing through, although for once it is warmer.[/sblock]

Rix makes the customary snide and derisory remarks towards the indolent and self-righteous elves, too full of their own personal glory that they can't see anything beyond their pointy-noses.

Rix will try to keep his profile low, although he will start up relations with the kobolds. Helping them set up their defensive precautions again and negotiate business with the Risenthropes and the dwarves as well. He will attempt to exclude the gnomes from any benefit from the business negotations as well. He'll also offer his services for trap construction at shrewd prices to those who would benefit from it (particularly businesses and government officials).

[sblock=DM]In his spare time he'll do the following things: peruse the journal he found, and examine the poison in the mug he found.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
During the return to the refugee camp Silas says little. His concern for the refugees is temporarily overshadowed by the tension and bickering amongst his companions. He frowns as he looks at each of them in turn. At least they were able to set aside their differences long enough to secure the village. "But how long will it be safe?" he asks himself quietly.

Silas is overjoyed to return to his wife, son, and father. He realizes that the buildings in the village will require much work to make them habitable and that there are not enough to house the entirety of the refugees. Though he wants to keep his family close, at the moment his skills in building are much needed and he throws himself into the task of restoring the structures and helping those who have become his neighbors. Soon he'll turn his mind to finding a small plot of land very close to the village where he can begin building a home for his family...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Silas
[sblock]
Silas is able to find a home on the northern outskirts of the village. Although it provides less protection from an attack from the north, it rests on a decent plot of land. Because space is tight, Radnal assigns a family of seven to stay with the Eyrstans.

The family of seven are the Rostans, a mother and her six children. Mrs. Rostan's husband, Eric, died on the trip. In fact, it would seem that about forty of the people of Fair Creek have died or gone missing since the initial flight from the town. Hopefully the rate of casualties will start to go down now that there is a roof over everyone's heads. Some of the larger Rostan boys plan to start looking to build a home off the Eyrstan land once they find a proper location and materials.

After two days, and finally a full night of sleep, Karl, a member of the town guard, comes and knocks upon the door to Silas' house. After greeting one of the smaller Rostan children who had answered the knocking, he is introduced to Silas and says, "I'm sorry to bother you, sir, but I've been asked by Sgt. Radnal to ask if you can join an expedition to the south. A group of adventurers are being sent to help some of our neighbors, and we are hoping to augment them with your ...errr...skills. Sir, if you say yes, I should add that you will be gone for awhile."
[/sblock]

Rix
[sblock]
After pushing past the obnoxious crowd of elves, you find a quiet place to read by candlelight. Although most of the journal is full of logistical information that is barely of any interest, parts of the two entries at the end catch your eye...

The orcs tribes have been united by a single leader, something that hasn't happened in many of their generations. They have overrun much of the elven lands, and now the Elven council has decided that it is more important to defend their own people than to protect my town of half-breeds. Should I blame them? We half-elves may be their children, but we were never accepted as truly one of the elves. Now we are almost defenseless against the coming onslaught...

Second Entry
I wonder... how much of this is my fault? I helped establish this town. I refused to call the retreat when I had a chance. It is now too late, and the orcs have circled our town and cut off all hopes for finding sanctuary. If we are unable to hold the line, I will drink the poison I requested from our alchemist. I created this town. I'd rather die of poison than be alive to watch it die. I offered the same escape for the men, but they have sworn to go down fighting... if only we had a little more time. I have heard that the orcs have caught a disease that is killing off their population. Time and sickness may bring us victory, Sol willing...

The poison smells strong, despite there being only a few grams left. No one could mistake such a pungent smell as anything healthy.

One of Randal's guards walks up to you and you quickly hide the container in your pocket as he asks, "Sir, I'm sorry to have bothered you. The baron would like you to come by in the morning, about an hour after breakfast is served in the town square. Something about a mission to the south, sir."
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas nods. "Certainly, Karl. I just need a moment to load my pack and say my goodbyes." Silas quickly packs, kisses his wife goodbye, again charges his father with the safety of his family, and says goodbye to his son and the Rostan children of whom he is already growing fond.

Making his way into town Silas seeks out Sgt. Radnal.

Land Outcast

Explorer
[sblock=Alexander]Syra Dorin walks towards you, followed by the haughty Lady Huffring. She stops in front of you and asks, "Are you enjoying your accomplishments, Alexander? I'm so amazed about what you and Kyle Radnal have succeeded in doing. My father would have had ... difficulties if it weren't for you."[/sblock]

[sblock=DM]Alexander can't help but feel awkward before the young lady, he doesn't blush... or maybe he does but the darkness of his skin protects him from showing it.
When he realizes that he's been silent for a few seconds he promptly answers -in a surprisingly uneasy voice-:
"Indeed, I'm enjoying this... Although I was of little help when we came upon the goblin chief..." Some more seconds go by...
-He passes his hand over the mark left over his throat, suddenly vigorizing his voice with the memory- "But I could still serve through the Huntress' way! My cunning helped us better than my strength..."

"Sorry lady, it's good to hear your father considers our actions helpful; surely you came to deliver some missive, not to hear a scout's ramblings"

I ejoyed it because this is the first step towards doing justice to the hamlet where I was born... Serving the Dorinthians will lead me to those who desecrated The Lady of the Lake's shrine. The previous owner of this broken blade...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads