• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Chapter 3 - The Imperials)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: Ok, I got Kel and Alexander going to scout. Is Rix going to be sent on a different mission or is he with them? How many other people are they bringing with them? Also, check the OOC thread when able.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
It seems everyone is standing around looking for guidance and nothing is happening and so Silas sighs, steps up, and begins giving out orders. "We need to know what's going on so Rix, scout for now. Once we find out more then maybe you can make an attempt to gain entrance to the dwarven stronghold. Smaller scouting groups will be less likely to be discovered so no more than one or two together."

He points to one veteran planning to scout. "You. Take several men with you and scout back the way we came. We'll need a camp. This location is a little close; I don't want their outriders to stumble over us. Also look for potential ambush sites where we can lead their troops and...get to it. I want you back here with news before the sun sets."

He stands looking at the gathered scouts. "Keep low. Don't take any unnecessary risks. Return when you have some information to impart." He raises one fist in salute. "For Dorinthia!"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Although surprised at Silas' outburst, the camp quickly begins to bustle with activity. Rix prepares to go, checking his equipment before disappearing into the tall grass of the plains.

As the scouts get rider to leave, one young lad passes the abjurer and yells in support, "For Dorinthia!" The pitch is a little high, though, causing some of you to stop and stare at the youngster suspiciously.

The youth blushes, clearly embarrassed from being noticed. Before the lad can walk off, Alexander walks behind the youngster and removes his cap. Long hair falls from the hat, and that's when you realize the young man is actually a very young woman.

"Danica Swann!" Alexander says in surprise. This is trouble. Kyle Radnal is not going to be happy to find that his surrogate daughter has gone off with the militia forces to face the Imperials.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Hi," says Danica hesitantly. She looks down, and quickly up again. she is biting her lip.
She quickly grabs for her cap and puts it back.

"It's been a while..."

She's smiling, and looking around in case she was seen by an officer. But then she turns back.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Danica?" Silas grins, then laughs, genuinely pleased to see the young woman who first welcomed him into this group. "Since you left, I've moved beyond gathering sticks and watching fires. I hope you've been well. Rix should be around here somewhere..." He looks around a bit but turns back shrugging. "It's good to see you."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Oh, dear, sweet Rix," Danica says impulsively, looking around as she rises to her tip toes, in hopes of seeing him. But no luck. "And you, Silas. You have come a long way indeed. I'm still lugging a crossbow," she says, smiling, as she lifts her weapon, as if she needed to offer proof. She's still blushing slightly. "To be honest, I feel a little out of place here," she adds, looking about, as she lowers the crossbow.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas shakes his head. "You shouldn't feel out of place. Your experience with the Ruffians should serve you well here. So," he motions in the directions of the Tallione camp over the rise beyond, "do you have any suggestions concerning our situation?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The groups part their ways as Silas and Danica speak.

Rix has already gone, and from the distance he must cross, it may be up until a day until you seem him again.

Unable to find forest that allow them to get closer to the Imperials, Kel and Alexander cut through the dry vegetation, but their taller bodies are not able to blend into the tall grass in Rix's manner. Still, they move through the plains, their bodies crouched and moving swiftly, until they become two dark specks in the large field.

Kel and Alexander
[sblock]
It takes a number of hours until you begin to make out some of the Imperial numbers. It looks to be a mix of heavy and light infantry, significant cavalry, and some few archers. Still, you'll need to get closer and get a better look in order to make a better estimation of numbers and to check on where their logistics are held. You are still about a mile away, and the grass may hide you, but disappears when you get to the start of the mountain side. The start of the Imperial formation is perched on a red, rocky and barren hill. How do you plan to approach?
[/sblock]

Dartis and some of the other men start picking up bundles of dried wood and stack them at the tall grass in order to burn them later and start a fire. They are nearly done when several of the woodsmen come back and report two possible places to make camp. One is on some large rocky hills inside the forest that can give a height and observation advantage to the defenders, but it's not near a water source and it's not quite autumn yet, making it fairly hot. The other one is near where the river you have followed ends. A small lake is there, shaped like a bowl and surrounded by large trees. It's hard to observe an enemy coming and isn't very defensible, but you would have a water source and likely game to hunt. Both are about four miles north of this position, the lake straight north, and the hills northwest.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Danica:

"Long time indeed" and he shakes her hand... hoping for her to have "matured" and shake his hand instead of hugging him like the last time.

He then takes the wand recovered from the goblin shaman and presents it to Silas "It is bound to be useful in this situation, I'm not sure if it is still working"

--------

Kel:

"Do we keep approaching and return at night? I see far better than them, and might see when they see not if the Huntress provides a clouded night"

Fenris

Adventurer
Seeing the reunion of old friends, Dartis allows some time for pleasantries before approaching Silas and Danica.

"Well Silas, I take it our stowaway is known to you" says Dartis with a grin.

"Welcome to our small band of fighters. I am Dartis Kalnian. I can only hope your being here is a testament your love of Dorinthia, as our mutual friend here Silas has
"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads