• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Final Chapter)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Barok
[sblock]
You move through the shadows, staying close to the walls and shadows until you get closer to the chapel. Most of the people seem to be entering the structure, although several still mill around and appear to be staring into nothingness. As you get closer to the people you notice that the smell of death and decay wafts into your nostrils.
[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
Undead... Bloody hell. Whoever has done this is going to pay. Barok adopts the shuffling aimless walk of the townspeople and goes closer. Still keeping to the shadows and at a distance from the zombies he trise to get a peek trough the chapel windows.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Caramip, Dartis, and Silas are still waiting as night falls. The cold wind causes the group to bundle up as they resist the urge to start a campfire that may reveal their position. Barok does not yet return, but the group does notice that the only light that shines in the town is from the top of a central chapel. A bell begins to toll, seemingly from the chapel.

Barok
[sblock]
You are unable to see inside the chapel, as the windows are high above and somewhat grimy. As you continue to observe, you notice that it is getting darker. You hear a caw from above and see a crow observe you then fly upwards and into a lit window on the top of the chapel. Almost instantly after two of the ambling townsfolk turn in your direction, one of which begins to silently motion towards an opening front door of the chapel.
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas rubs his hands together briskly trying to get them warm then jams them into his cloak to take advantage of his body heat. "I wouldn't mind a good, blazing fire. Or a decent divination spell." He looks out over the town again, making sure that he doesn't make a silhouette against the darkening sky. "I wonder what's going on down there."

Nephtys

First Post
Barok curses to himself as he sees the bird fly away, knowing that his presence and actions had been noticed. He looks at the two townspeople who signalled him weighing the risks for half a moment and then he ambles towards them, trying to make out their faces. At least they were not mere zombies, but wether that was a good thing or not remained to be seen.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Barok
[sblock]
The smell of death gets closer as you approach the townsfolk and they look at you with dull eyes and amble into the chapel. As you walk behind them and examine them you take a peek inside the open doors of the holy building. You can see that the image of the Rider has been torn down, but in its place stands a crude twisted tree symbol of Festios, Tallione's god of death and destruction. You can't also help but think of the old children's story of Kester Blackheart, Dorinthian lover of Ulavree and maker of the undead. Almost as if out of these fears, a robed figure not easily made out stirs on a large chair on top of a dais and surrounded by townsfolk. "Ah, a guest! And we haven't had guests for so long. I've so desired a chance at having a real conversation once more. Why don't you enter my friend, and we can talk."
[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
Barok looks over his shoulder before answering the priest with a disarming smile. "Thank you for the invitation, my friend, but I have no wish to interrupt your sermon to the faithful. Perhaps we can talk later, on less sacred ground." There was no way in hell he'd ever get out of there alive if things turned ugly. It's not that he really minded the faith of Festios in theory, it had it's place and was no less valid than any other crackpot religion, but he had no desire to be subjected to some of their practices, in eh practice.

Fenris

Adventurer
As night falls Dartis grows more and more uneasy. He paces about the dark and cold campsite, partly to keep warm, partly to occupy him and partly to think.

Finally he swears and heads ove to Silas. "Damn it, where is Abarani's legion? Even if they sent men out on patrol, even if he has moved against the elves, he wouldn't leave a supply station abandoned like this. Kel knew something was wrong, he wouldn't send us off for no reason. Something is very wrong. I fear the messengers of Ulavree we slew were omens after all."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas nods. "I fear the same. But until Barok returns we know little. What do you propose that we do?" A muffled croaking sound comes from pocket of Silas' cloak. "Yes, yes," he begins before trailing off into unintelligible mumbles. He snorts and looks at Dartis a bit sheepishly. "Errr, as I was saying, what do you propose?"

Fenris

Adventurer
GlassEye said:
Silas nods. "I fear the same. But until Barok returns we know little. What do you propose that we do?" A muffled croaking sound comes from pocket of Silas' cloak. "Yes, yes," he begins before trailing off into unintelligible mumbles. He snorts and looks at Dartis a bit sheepishly. "Errr, as I was saying, what do you propose?"

"We wait. If Barok isn't back by morning, we'll head down ourselves. Until then, let's see what he can find out. But in any case the legion isn't here. So they have either moved against the elves, or gone back to Tallione, which I can't see happening. But where have they gone?"

Remove ads