Leadership Sidetrek

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Oh! It's just I don't see any reference that they must have NPC class in any reference of the SRD. Can you please give a link to confirm...

At worst, it will be an adept and the identification spell will be done by a third party wizard in town.[/SBLOCK]

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: No Adepts either. Adepts and Aristocrats are only allowable with the variant ELH rule, and they require sacrificing a follower of 1 level higher (rather than 2 levels higher for a PC class) )

Xael

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: You know that under standard RAW, Followers can only be Commoners, Warriors, and Experts, right? Using an optional variant rule from the Epic Level Handbook, you can replace a normal 3rd-level follower with a 1st-level Wizard)
OOC: Wasn't that in 3.0? I can't find mention of that in the 3.5 books or SRD.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: That's remarkably odd--I think the SRD and 3.5 DMG left out a lot of the original text on followers to save space, so it doesn't really tell you anything about the followers any more except the table of max level. The ELH still has the variant rule to allow PC classes at a price, though. Urgh bad 3.5 revisers, no biscuit! They kept the text about how followers are usually just guards, servants, messengers, etc...

We clearly should not allow Followers with PC classes though, or else we have serious problems, including Followers that are just as powerful as cohorts in edge cases )

EDIT:
(I'm pretty sure that this limitation has been removed in 3.5)
I think they accidentally left out the limitation because they were being thoughtless.

Xael

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
We clearly should not allow Followers with PC classes though, or else we have serious problems, including Followers that are just as powerful as cohorts in edge cases )
OOC: The LEW Leadership already restricts followers as noncombatants that can't appear in adventures though, so I doubt there'll be that much trouble.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(I'm pretty sure I remember it being deliberate.)

(OOC: Then they were being silly. As is, if you back Rinaldo up to level 6, pretend that he had slightly more Charisma (requires Charisma 20 to pull off this trick, so a +2 item and starting 18), he could have had a Follower who was just as powerful as Hogarth (level 4 Cleric), and 30 1st-level Wizards can be a horror if armed with wands.

I always thought it was plenty strong with the old variant -2 levels rule (which I used), but I guess my preferences are for ordinary out-of-sight Followers and exciting survivable cohorts who are clearly better than the Followers, and it seems that people here prefer the opposite in both directions, where the cohort is just another Follower who happens to gain XP.)

Xael

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Then they were being silly. As is, if you back Rinaldo up to level 6, pretend that he had slightly more Charisma (requires Charisma 20 to pull off this trick, so a +2 item and starting 18), he could have had a Follower who was just as powerful as Hogarth (level 4 Cleric), and 30 1st-level Wizards can be a horror if armed with wands.
OOC: I'm not sure if I'm just tired (past midnigth here), but you need Leadership score of 18 to have a 4th level follower, so I'm not really seeing a problem. And those 30 1st-level Wizards aren't allowed to appear in adventures.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Wait, Level 6 plus Charisma 21 (+5 modifier) is a leadership score of 11, isn't it? You don't get 4th level followers until a leadership score of 18.

Remove ads