Learn about D&D organized play options

exile

First Post
I totally understand the reasoning behind structuring OP in this way and hope that it is good for the hobby. I just don't think that it is going to work for me, and that makes me sad.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I've updated the initial post with all of the Adventurers League information I could find, including links to sourcebooks and wiki pages. I can't wait!

pedr

Explorer
Great update!

What gives you the "North America only" sense for Expeditions? I noticed that the article said that the debut (& therefore story-influencing play) would be at conventions in North America, but didn't get the sense that other stores couldn't get the adventurers.

Liz Schuh's interview gave me the impression that all Core stores can order Expeditions kits (which is a bit of a limitation) and that convention support would (mainly?) be by conventions working with stores to get kits. Which I'm not entirely convinced by, but is probably the only workable solution to the distribution of certificates since I get the sense they don't want to use PDF for evidence of rewards.

Two questions I have (aside from the home play issue which was significant for me before I moved to a city with a store with play space):

If a store wants to run an Expeditions adventure a few months after its release and has used up the kits it ordered, will repeat orders be possible?

The information about Encounters feels a little confused - I read it as stores get the first part free as a PDF. After that, Encounters continues if the DM/store buys the adventure, or store moves to Expeditions if they want free content. The next big adventure/story will start after Winter Fantasy (probably) with another free low level PDF. But if that's right (and it might not be) Encounters in December might be running at a very high level, which may not suit new or casual players. I haven't seen any suggestion that there'll be a second 1-4 Encounters PDF released during the Tyranny of Dragons story (or at least not during Hoard of the Dragon Queen)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My expectation is that D&D Encounters will have an adaptation of the first part of the Tyranny adventure - perhaps both adventures, but most likely only one, if the two link to each other to form a levels 1-15 campaign or similar.

You then have the option of continuing your character in either store- or home- play with the Tyranny adventure. In the Living Greyhawk and Living Forgotten Realms, these were called "adapted" adventures.

Stores and conventions, meanwhile, have access to additional adventures (of all levels), which can be used by brand-new characters, characters that have gone through Encounters, or characters who have gone through the full Tyranny adventures. These adventure may also be available for home groups - they were in both LFR and LG. The big question is how many of these adventures there will be...

The major difference in this programme compared to the old is that D&D Encounter characters were one-offs. Once the Encounter season ended, they could only be used in home games. With this one, once you've played through the Encounters, you can continue with the character in other Organised Play events.

Cheers!

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
RE Organized Play Online

I've run lots of LFR online and met a ton of great people and look forward to run 5E D&D games online through the Adventurer's League!

Daelkyr

First Post
I've run lots of LFR online and met a ton of great people and look forward to run 5E D&D games online through the Adventurer's League!

I'm of the same opinion. I started DM'ing LFR with maptools back in 2008 and made some good friends. I'll actually be meeting some of them in person this year at GenCon.

Alphastream

Adventurer
What gives you the "North America only" sense for Expeditions? I noticed that the article said that the debut (& therefore story-influencing play) would be at conventions in North America, but didn't get the sense that other stores couldn't get the adventurers.

Chris Tulach, head of Wizards organized play, clarified that it is worldwide (premiering in North America). That's good news!

Greyson

Explorer
The Factions

Looks like we have some insight on some of the Factions in the D&D Adventurers League:

"Harpers, the Order of the Gauntlet, the Emerald Enclave, the Lords’ Alliance and . . . even the Zhentarim."

I imagine those five are the initial Factions. Perhaps two or three more as the program develops. But, I am just guessing.

Remove ads