• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEB Discussion Thread '10 Pt 2

twilsemail

First Post
[MENTION=6670011]BloodPrincess[/MENTION]

Bear in mind that you can start as high as 4th level. I don't know that we've any PCs that are currently active and below 4th level. You may want to consider raising Ysane's level just a hair.

BloodPrincess

First Post
Is the Versatile Duelist feat from page 70 of Dragon Magazine 381 an acceptable feat?

Oh, okay, thankyou. Its my first time using 4e so I wanted to start low but if thats not gonna be very useful fitting in with the others then I'll raise it.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I tried starting with 'elemental thing' as stonegod put it at 2nd level as CON based warden he would have more hp then even 5th level 'normal' character. But judge [MENTION=84005]Kalidrev[/MENTION] advised against it, since everyone starts at 4th and since this is PbP time is precious and leveling slow. I took it up to 4th and in the first combat triggered eight readied charges and dropped. Anyone else in the group would be killed outright. As would Cairn if I didn't raise him to 4th level.

You take this as an advise or warning, ignore at your own peril :D

And welcome to the boards [MENTION=6670011]BloodPrincess[/MENTION]

BloodPrincess

First Post
ok, just to annoy everyone again with my character creation. I'm pushing it up to lvl 4, but heres my predicament.

I want to use a Katana. I have been given 3 suggestions and want to know what people think would be either then better or more correct option.

A) use bastard sword and call it katana

B) use longsword and call it katana

C) ask to be allowed to use this Katana which will probably require asking persmission.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
ok, just to annoy everyone again with my character creation. I'm pushing it up to lvl 4, but heres my predicament.

I want to use a Katana. I have been given 3 suggestions and want to know what people think would be either then better or more correct option.

A) use bastard sword and call it katana

B) use longsword and call it katana

C) ask to be allowed to use this Katana which will probably require asking persmission.
(A) or (B) is the way to go. I think you'd have a hard time w/ (C).

And, keep in mind, there are no "Asian" cultures in Eberron per se, so a "katana" wouldn't strictly exist: It'd just be a well-made, odd-looking blade (say, from Sarlona).

renau1g

First Post
In the previous edition a Katana was a masterwork bastard sword. You could go with either A or B without requiring anything. Re-fluffing powers/gear is fairly commonplace. The C would require a proposal. I can tell you I'd vote No for it as it's better than a longsword (high crit) without giving anything up (like the scimitar does)

BloodPrincess

First Post
to take it as a bastard sword I need to take a prof with it, for the longsword I dont due to the versatile duelist so I free up a feat, the question is, is the damage bonus worth it or not? As I havent played 4e before, I am not sure.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
to take it as a bastard sword I need to take a prof with it, for the longsword I dont due to the versatile duelist so I free up a feat, the question is, is the damage bonus worth it or not? As I havent played 4e before, I am not sure.
You get an avg +1 to damage going from 1d8 to 1d10 with the same prof. bonus. Its a small bump, but still a bump the same. Most of your damage will be coming from sneak attack I assume so the +1 should not be your deciding factor. You'll get more feats later if you want the bastard sword.

BloodPrincess

First Post
though what your really saying is that its only a small bump and not worth it unless your using a lot of skills with 3w. Taking the extra feat might be a wiser decision.

I'm currently looking at taking Contacts for a reroll to streetwise as I am trying to make a detective style rogue.

edit: sorry, its called Connected

twilsemail

First Post
If you're looking to bump you damage, I'd recommend Backstabber over proficiency with a bastard sword. That should net you ~+2 damage on pretty much every attack you make as a Rogue.

Then again, I'm the only person to have lost a PC in this game, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Remove ads