• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdytenor

First Post
I had no trouble getting my character posted. Maybe it took 20 minutes longer due to some initial confusion about what goes where, but once I found the help sheets and got used to the process it don't think it took any longer than filling out any other character sheet.

Same here, but not everyone is like us - some people really struggle with this stuff.

I have another suggestion (not sure I like it, but throwing it out there) - We standardize on Character Builder sheets, and create sheets for those without the character builder on their behalf. Given the number of people who DO have access to the character builder and the relative speed of generating a character with it, I suspect this would result in drastically less work for character reviewers in general, even after factoring in having to generate a few sheets from scratch.

There are two obvious downsides - first, tracking becomes something of an issue. Second, it is not clear if this would be fair use of the character builder or a violation of the software license.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I don't have DDI and have three characters active in L4w and LEB.
I had no problem except for minor formatting error which judge kindly repaired. HTML I did not see...and even if I did, I'm software developer :)

Karin's dad is right in that it takes more time then DDI, but not SO much. And he likes to argue (don't deny it, I'm reading one of the adventures you're in). I believe benefits of the templates (tracking, standard) overweight extra ten minutes of typing. Just use someone elses sheet of same race and/or class.

If someone could create a template that would use stat modifiers from one place that would be great too. And if someone provides ME with original template and if CB char format is readable by humans I can create software that changes one into another (but it'll take some time as I already have off work project on my hands)

evilbob

Explorer
If someone could create a template that would use stat modifiers from one place that would be great too.
This isn't hard; I've actually done this. I just haven't cleaned it up or presented it to anyone because I think Scorp's project will be a superior product that will serve us better in the long run and make the wikis obsolete.

elecgraystone

First Post
Suggest a better alternative. I'll wait.
I did over in the proposal thread for this over in L4W. If you did the same I would do it here. I do believe that this isn't the right place to hash this out though. If you make a proposal, I'm more than willing to debate.

EDIT: I see evilbob put up a link to said better alterative.

elecgraystone

First Post
Sorry, but this excuse sounds pretty darn lame. And why don't you just have WotC drop your account and have you add a new one? There's no way they couldn't drop your Email account from all of their databases.
I had them reset the password several times and when that failed, I did just what you suggested and dropped the account. When I put in my e-mail address it popped up with my old account. So it does seem that they are either unable or unwilling to do so.

Bottom line, WOTC seems unable to fix this problem and I'm not the only one it's happen to. I don't know if it's a flaw in their system or if the people they have trying to fix these kinds of problem are incompetent but I can't sign in to WOTC and haven't been able to for years now.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
One benefit of the wiki that just posting a link won't offer is the tracking. I can check what changes were made to the PC which helps when reviewing level ups.

This works in the CB file as well.

Personally, I think the best solution is not spreadsheets and not templates for those with CB, only for those without.

Printing the CB character sheet to a .PDF and then having a small entry on the main PC web page about any corrections, is the best solution for those that have CB.

renau1g

First Post
Karin's dad is right in that it takes more time then DDI, but not SO much. And he likes to argue (don't deny it, I'm reading one of the adventures you're in).

You seem to be going over and over again on the same points that I have already addressed. Sorry, but it really seems like you are arguing just to argue.
Now I know you are arguing just to argue. I stated that one would add details to the summary, not that they would change it.

Guys, I understand it's the interwebs, but can we please avoid taking it to a personal level. I think we all have the same desire to make the system that best works for players, DMs and reviewers. Elec and KD you both want to improve the current wiki situation, but everyone bickering doesn't help. I really like that we can discuss things as I also understand it can be a bit of work to edit the wiki even if you're experienced. It takes me around 20 minutes or 30 (at most) to set up a PC from scratch, but when I first did Murphy in L4W it definitely took longer (I've never touched coding before this)

If we can come up with an alternative I'm certainly all ears.

Luinnar

First Post
Question, do I need the Eberron players guide to play Living Eberron?[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Eberron-Players-Guide-4th-Supplement/dp/0786951001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267942009&sr=8-1"][/ame]

elecgraystone

First Post
Elec and KD you both want to improve the current wiki situation, but everyone bickering doesn't help.
LOl you quoted Neurotic and KarinsDad then talk about me and KarinsDad. I smell a conspiracy! :uhoh:

Me, I stopped debating this already; at least until a proposal thread is made for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads