Legacy of the Silver Dragon (Swords and Wizardry Core, 4th Ed)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I'm not sure I wholly agree with your assessment as there are definitely options for players who want to go more into the politics of Ascadar, and I have set up some mysteries behind the scenes as well.
Hey, *I* was going to say that! :)

It's all in the eyes of the beholder of course, but I have a list three yards long of things I want my character to look into, research, influence, people he'd like to talk to more at length, etc. More than Antares will likely ever be able to accomplish given the time he's got. To me that speaks volumes about the richness of the world Gambler is building for us here (I was, for example, rather blown away by the whole scene with Lady Mirelle and her socialite friends -- after I just off-handedly drew up a little story for one of the houses Antares and Stellan were investigating along the way, looking for another cursed bell!). This isn't epic level mysteries, granted, but that's exactly what makes it even more interresting to me: it's more personnal in scale (which has always been one of the main attractions to starting and playing at low levels for me).

That said, I'm (very) happy with the rp vs action mix we've experienced so far (just to make it plain that I wouldn't want to tip it too much towards pure RP or anything). This is still Dungeons and Dragons, after all. :) Dungeon-delving and the risk of sudden death are part of the fun too.

I'll have three IC threads.. One for each group, and a combined one for maybe when the two groups get together at a tavern, or for general rumors/information).
I'd suggest going by chapters instead (basically as we've been doing up to now)? If/when the two groups meet at length, then that's likely a separate chapter where the two can meet and then each move on to their new separate thread chapters afterwards? What do you think?

Oh, and I'm of course going to volunteer Antares for the 'Whatever Seems Interesting' group. :D

Goldhammer

First Post
Well, Binder Fred asked be if I would be interested, in playing, so I may as well roll up a character.

Str: 15
Dex: 7
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 9

Could make a decent Cleric or Fighter with that. Are there any limits to races or gods we can choose?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Welcome Goldhammer!

Gambler seem to be pretty open re Gods, wether your own creation or taken from existing sources. So far we have a dwarven priest of the secretive God of Secrets (VV's character), and a human priest of Pelor (presently without a player). Don't know about races; we went with straight Sword and Sorcery fare ourselves. Do you think you'll be going with a friend/acquaintace of the existing PCs (who are all nominaly childhood friends)? Alternatively, and this is just a thought on my part, the PCs just rescued a local damsel from a small series of hidden tunnels dug under their hometown of Ascandar. You could possibly take her over if you want (with Gambler's permission of course). Looking forward to your PC whatever the case. :)

Goldhammer

First Post
Rolling for gold and health. Decided that I'm going with a Cleric.

So 15 times 10 is 150 gold, I can buy some plate armour

5 + 1 Con bonus is 6HP.

Now I just need some fluff.

gambler1650

Explorer
Just popping in today, still recovering from my vacation last week. Will work on getting things going again tomorrow. Thanks for joining up Goldhammer, I will take a closer look at things and answer your questions tomorrow.

gambler1650

Explorer
Goldhammer, if you haven't downloaded it yet, you can get the PDF of Swords and Wizardry, 4th edition, at: http://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-finch/swords-wizardry-core-rules-pdf/ebook/product-15718826.html

This has all the info for the races and classes. If you want a cleric, your two choices are Human and Dwarf, though I'm not sure two dwarven clerics in the same party are a great idea (it makes them less 'special' as I think they should be). So I would suggest Human Cleric.

As a side note, looking through the rules again to make sure, it doesn't appear as though there's a difference between 15 and 16 in Wisdom, and if you swapped them (as I've allowed), a 16 makes for an even better fighter. If you want to stick with a Cleric, that's great too but just pointing out an option. :)

Any idea what style of god you would prefer to follow? I can work with you to flesh it out, but would like a starting idea from you perhaps (a sentence or two at most.. i.e., "Pelor is the God of light, truth and purity. Those who follow Pelor live by example, and when they speak and act in his name, it should be to help others who are hindered by darkness").

Goldhammer

First Post
Well I did have an idea for one. "Malborka is the Goddess of protection, strength, community and castles. She teaches that the bigger must always protect the smaller. Malborka's clerics are there for quite large and heavy-set, always wearing heavy plate armour so that the innocent can use them for cover. Due to how big they are, Clerics of Malborka aren't very agile. But Malborka commands her clerics to stand their ground, no matter the odds. This has lead some to see Malborka's followers as being quite stubborn, even bull-headed. Malborka instructs her Clerics to help whatever community they happen to be in, weather it's slaying a dragon for a king or helping a poor village with their crops. Malborka's Clerics tend to very stoic and serious, except for when they're feasting, which given their size, is quite often."

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Goldhammer.

I think that will work fine...

Kit out your character for my approval, if you would. You can probably start roleplaying at The Half and Halfling in the meantime... (In the current roleplay thread)...

Remove ads