Legacy of the Silver Dragon (Swords and Wizardry Core, 4th Ed)

Goldhammer

First Post
Well here's my character. Sorry it took so long, but I got caught up with work. I'll post her background when I get back.

[sblock=Beatrix Merriburg]

Character Name: Beatrix Merriburg
Class: Cleric 1
Race: Human
Alignment: Law
Deity: Malborka
STR: 16 DEX: 7 CON: 14 INT: 12 WIS: 15 CHA:9
Hitpoints: 6/6 Saving Throw: 15 Armour Class: Gold Pieces: 12
Bonus to Hit (STR): +1 Open Doors (STR): 1-3 Armour Bonus (DEX): -1
Bonus to Missiles (Dex): -1 HP Bonus (Con): +1 Experience Point Bonus: 10%
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant, Dragon
Roll needed to hit Armour Class: 3
Spells: Cure Light Wounds
Special Abilities: Turn Undead, +2 save against being paralyzed or poisoned
Items: Plate Armour, Shield, Warhammer
Backpack , Bedroll, Wine, Fishing Net, Flint and Steel, Grappling hook, Iron Pot (Holy Symbol), Dried Rations (7), Shovel, Hemp Rope, Waterskin, Torch (10), Crowbar, Magic Item

"Malborka is the Goddess of protection, strength, community and castles. She teaches that the bigger must always protect the smaller. Malborka's clerics are there for quite large and heavy-set, always wearing heavy plate armour so that the innocent can use them for cover. Due to how big they are, Clerics of Malborka aren't very agile. But Malborka commands her clerics to stand their ground, no matter the odds. This has led some to see Malborka's followers as being quite stubborn, even bull-headed. Malborka instructs her Clerics to help whatever community they happen to be in, whether it's slaying a dragon for a king or helping a poor village with their crops. Malborka's Clerics tend to very stoic and serious, except for when they're feasting, which given their size, is quite often. Temples of Malborka are normally stone fort like buildings, as large and as heavy as the clerics who dwell within them. They tend to have something like a bakery or an inn or a brewery built into them in order to help fund the sisterhood."

Beatrix is at times, a very serious person. She values hard work and doesn't tolerate any sort of foolishness or jokes about her weight. She does however tend to unwind after a few drinks and will merrily along with all the fat jokes. She sees herself as an expect of alcohol and will talk for hours about the various spirits she's drunk. She's a strong follower of the teachings of Malborka, but above all, believes that the common hard-working people must be protected at all cost. Beatrix has an eye for suits of armour and is especially interested in anything that might be forged in the fires of a silver dragon.

Beatrix is the model of a priestess of Malborka, an enormously fat woman and at 6'5", she casts quite the imposing figure. But under all that fat, Beatrix sports quite a bit of muscle, making her no slouch on the battlefield. She skin is pale and hair tied into long blonde braids. She wears a heavy suit of armour with the symbol of her goddess, Malborka on her huge iron gut. Amusing, her helmet is shaped like a tall castle tower, completely with a little flag on the top.

BACKGROUND:
Beatrix was born in a frozen little town far to the north. It was a humble little place, it's defensive wooden walls rotten and ice bittern. The local lord thought of it such unimportant, he hardly bothered protecting it. Beatrix was the daughter of a blacksmith who lived in a little armour store on the edge of town. Each day Beatrix would help her father with his work.

One day some years ago, a very large stranger came to town. She was an gigantically fat woman dressed in a heavy suit of silver armour. She arrived at Beatrix's father's armour store to have her shield repaired, only to get stuck halfway through the narrow doorway. Young Beatrix found endless amusement in this, but her father recognized the symbol on the fat knight's belly and helped her through the door.

As her father fixed the shield, Beatrix became curious about the fat warrior. She introduced herself as Sister Castle-Sentry Kellie Roxburgh. She explained to Beatrix that she was a Cleric of Malborka, the goddess of protection, strength, community and castles. The sisterhood of Malborka bulk themselves up so that they serve as living walls and shield the defenseless from evil. Sister Roxburgh then showed Beatrix something special, a large silver cooking pot shaped like a castle. She told her that this had been forged in the fires of a silver dragon and so had magic healing. Beatrix still found the priestess's appearance comical, yet she grow quite fond of her. They found themselves talking about life and the nature of the gods until Beatrix's father finally fixed the shield. Sister Roxburgh paid for the shield and for the damages she had done to the doorway and left for the inn. She said the Beatrix would welcome to join the Sisterhood of Malborka, but joked she would have to give up her slim figure to do so.

Later that day, Beatrix and her father heard a chilling sound. The roar of a war horn echoing down from the mountains. An orcish warband was coming to raid the town. Beatrix's father told her to find Sister Roxburgh while he tried to defend their home. Running to the town centre, Beatrix found the priestess enjoying her second breakfast and explained what was about to happen. Sister Roxburgh wasted no time. She gather the town guard and lead the defense. Beatrix grabbed an old warhammer and followed.

By the time they arrived, the orcs had already broken through the rotten wooden wall and had begun to set the town ablaze. With Sister Roxburgh as their unbreakable rallying point, the town guard march against the raiders. The orcs clashed against the town guard's shieldwall. The priestess smashed scores of orcs with swings of her mace. Even Beatrix helped, cutting down 2 orcs trying to flee with items stolen from her father's store. Soon the orcs were beaten and had fled for the hills.

The day had been won, yet the town had suffer. Many of town's buildings had been damaged or burned to the ground. Worse still, Beatrix's father and many others was badly hurt. But when all seemed lost, Sister Roxburgh, with her silver cooking pot in hand, summoned the magical powers of her goddess and healed their wounds. A mighty cheer went up for the priestess and her goddess, Malborka

Afterwards, Sister Roxburgh helped the villagers repair their town. For days, she helped them fix their homes, raise a new, better defensive wall and even create a temple-bakery of Malborka in the center of town. When the town was finally back on its feet, Sister Roxburgh decided it was time to leave. But before she left, Beatrix asked if she could come with her. She wanted to repay the priestess for saving her father and her village. Sister Roxburgh, impressed by Beatrix's bravery and dedication, asked if she would join the Sisterhood of Malborka, so she could help others as the priestess helped her. Beatrix gratefully agreed and soon they left for the holy citadel to begin her training.

After years of exercise, study and bulking up through great feasting, Beatrix emerged as a Sister Wall Sentry of the Sisterhood of Malborka. Her first task was to travel south to the town of Ascadar and begin setting up a temple of Malborka. But stories of the legendary silver dragon that once guarded the town interested her. If she was the same dragon who's flame forged Sister Roxburgh's silver cooking pot, then she wanted to met her more than anything else.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Nice character, Goldhammer. :)

If I can ask a personal question: do the other PCs know her? Is she a just-returned childhood friend maybe? A (professional?) acquaintance of some/all of them? Something else?

Goldhammer

First Post
Nice character, Goldhammer. :)

If I can ask a personal question: do the other PCs know her? Is she a just-returned childhood friend maybe? A (professional?) acquaintance of some/all of them? Something else?

Well I haven't thought about that really? I haven't post my background yet, but Beatrix is the daughter of a blacksmith from a village in the frozen north. She left to join the sisterhood of Malborka 3 years ago after a Priestess of Malborka saved her village. It is possible that one of the characters might of known her from before then, of course she would of been much skinny back then.

Malborka is also the goddess of castles and her clerics could be quite useful to anyone wanting to build a fortress. Beatrix main goal while she's in the town is try and build a temple-fort to Malborka

Binder Fred

Well, the other PCs have, to my knowledge, never left their hometown so far, so she is quite a bit more travelled than they are... Do the sisters travel around (hm, probably not so much, considering their credo)...

If I can suggest, and this is just a thought, there seems little reason to interact with her right now at the bar (at least from Antares' point of view), but maybe it would make sense for her to drop by the office of the guard later/tomorrow (to offer her services and/or touch base?) and maybe officer Gregof could mention the meeting the group has with them tomorrow and introduce her to them then -- assuming he considers her trustworthy enough, of course (maybe *he* knows her/her mentor(s) and/or has contacts within her church? Maybe that's even why she's been sent here for her journeyman years? (Assuming that's why she's in Ascadar, of course. She could have relatives here, I don't know))? What do you think?

Goldhammer

First Post
Well, the other PCs have, to my knowledge, never left their hometown so far, so she is quite a bit more travelled than they are... Do the sisters travel around (hm, probably not so much, considering their credo)...

If I can suggest, and this is just a thought, there seems little reason to interact with her right now at the bar (at least from Antares' point of view), but maybe it would make sense for her to drop by the office of the guard later/tomorrow (to offer her services and/or touch base?) and maybe officer Gregof could mention the meeting the group has with them tomorrow and introduce her to them then -- assuming he considers her trustworthy enough, of course (maybe *he* knows her/her mentor(s) and/or has contacts within her church? Maybe that's even why she's been sent here for her journeyman years? (Assuming that's why she's in Ascadar, of course. She could have relatives here, I don't know))? What do you think?

Well the problem with that is then she really can't do anything until you get to the guard office tomorrow. But the reason why Beatrix is in Ascadar is that her order sent her there in the hopes of building a temple of Malborka. The sisterhood of Malborka send out their clerics to different towns and villages in order to win over the people and covert them to their goddess. In exchange, protect the town and improve it's defensive walls. Some would call this expansionist, they prefer to call it protection.

Beatrix's personal reason for coming to the town is that her teacher has a holy symbol forged in the fires of a great silver dragon. She's arrived in town in order to learn more about Eliaesel, in hopes that she might the same dragon who her teacher knew. As a cleric of Malborka, she is honour bond to help the town anyway she can and as a member of the sisterhood of the goddess of castle, she could be useful to anyone who's trying to build a fort.

Binder Fred

There are plenty of things to do, if you want. Talk to the Guard captain, for one. Depending how it goes, he can then possibly direct you to the party right away, or you can investigate possible threats to the town in the meanwhile, possible keep locations/approaches to the town for defensive purposes, evaluate the worthiness of the guards, go formaly present yourself to the town authorities (council/mayor candidates, Arcane Council, Major churches (Pelor being the top dog in town, I believe) and/or major (builder/stonemason?) guilds), investigate any and all of the rumours listed in the second post of the original IC thread, etc, etc. Self-motivated, semi-independant adventuring is one of the nice things about roleplaying under Gambler in general and in the Anything Goes party in particular. :D

The problem, from our side, just so you are aware, is that the good captain has given us reason - good reasons, I think, even if Antares somewhat disagrees ;) - *not* to spread rumors about what we've been doing to the people we already know and trust (at least not until we hear back from the Council tomorrow). And Beatrix is a complete stranger. I guess we'll have to see how it goes. It'll all work out in the end, I'm sure. :)

Goldhammer

First Post
There are plenty of things to do, if you want. Talk to the Guard captain, for one. Depending how it goes, he can then possibly direct you to the party right away, or you can investigate possible threats to the town in the meanwhile, possible keep locations/approaches to the town for defensive purposes, evaluate the worthiness of the guards, go formaly present yourself to the town authorities (council/mayor candidates, Arcane Council, Major churches (Pelor being the top dog in town, I believe) and/or major (builder/stonemason?) guilds), investigate any and all of the rumours listed in the second post of the original IC thread, etc, etc. Self-motivated, semi-independant adventuring is one of the nice things about roleplaying under Gambler in general and in the Anything Goes party in particular. :D

Oh cool, I didn't know that. And I guess your party does have reason to suspect Beatrix, since her sisterhood is looking to get their foot in the door of this town.

But anyway, I did update my character with Beatrix's background, so you now you know where's she coming from and why she chosen the Malborka lifestyle.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Sorry about that, Goldhammer, entirely my fault. :blush: I forgot that the Anna quest was technicaly still listed on there! Great minds think alike and all that?

To give you a quick recap, we started off each investigating one of the initial rumours: Antares started with the demons and was soon joined by Stellan, while Bosco investigated rumours from the mines, Muzdin dealt with racist patrons and Mysthyr looked into the missing girl. Then we all met up at the Half and Human and decided to pursue the demon matter (which we started but have not finished this morning) and the missing girl (afternoon, concluding with the scene at the tavern). Didn't mean to turn you off so fast, by the way -- unless that truly *is* one of Beatrix's character traits, in which case: good going. :) Just wanted to point out that, enjoyable evening roleplaying in the tavern nothwithstanding, officially joining/hearing about the group's activities might possibly have to wait until the morrow, for IC plot reasons. The game is still about a *party* of adventurers (two now, actually), so I hope you'll still consider exploring the guard captain connection with us so you can officially join up?

That little bar scene does paint a nice couple of quick, striking brushstrokes on Beatrix's character portrait though - laying strong foundations for their later meeting - so I'd personnaly say you're doing more than fine, if that's not too arrogant of me to say? Oh heck, I'll say it anyways. :D

(Re perceptions, I wouldn't say they "suspect" her. Note though that in context the town in general is rather provincial and isolated (a cosmopolitan metropol it is not), Muzdin is a follower of the Gods of secrets (he is suspiscious of everybody :]) and Antares in particular is not the most socially-savvy individual -- not likely to answer in kind when a stranger enthousiastically intervenes in an otherwise private conversation, for example (at least not immediately anyways). Stellan, if he had had time to speak, would likely have responded much more openly to your PC's advance, cause that's the type of man he is.)

Last edited:

Remove ads