Legacy of the Stone Assembly, Chapter I: The Cabal, The Quill, and the Concord

"Better off that way" Joseph mutters just loud enough to be heard by everyone with the shortest phrase he's used all night. He looks towards the mage of the Veil out of the corner of his eye, judging the reaction of the one who seems most prone to broaching that which the other obviously intends not to.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Once everyone was introduced, The Nemean turned the conversation to light small talk--weather, sports, automotive repair, and other uncontroversial topics.
[sblock=OOC]Everyone gets a Presence+Socialize roll here to determine who is the most effective in conversation for the scene. If you want to spend willpower to boost it, I'll just roll those dice on top of this result and update this box.[/sblock]
[sblock=rolls]
Gabriel: 4 dice, 0 successes
Jeremiah: 6/3
Levanna: 5/2
Prometheus: 4/1
Thorn: 4/2
[/sblock]
Surprisingly, Jeremiah led the conversation, holding court with easy, casual joviality. The others at the table almost didn't notice that Jeremiah deftly avoided any train of discussion that would require him to reveal the barest scrap of information about himself.

The Nemean ate slowly, clearing off his plate last. Wiping his mouth with the napkin he had lain in his lap, The Nemean cleared his throat. "Now, let's talk about why I've asked you all here today. Part of being a responsible member of the Awakened community is working with other legitimate mages when the need arises. I need to know if you five can be counted on to play ball and get things done.

"So here's my offer: I want you to get something for me, and given your connections to Cambridge, you're all better suited to get it than anyone else I've got at the moment. I want you to show me you can work with other mages, so this is a group assignment. In return, I'm prepared to offer you a nice piece of property out near MIT, situated on a pretty decent Hallow.

"Before we discuss the details of that little plan, though, I want to see if your training's as good as your mentors say. There's a spirit in Cormant House that doesn't belong here. While I get these dishes cleaned up, I want you five to try to get the spirit to move along. You're welcome to use any spells you like," he chuckled, "Just so long as you don't break anything."

Last edited:

Annalist

First Post
Mitchell was excluded from much of the ebb and flow of casual conversation. But it was his own fault really for being anti-social. His obvious reluctance to join in and be chatty had hindered his participation. Instead, wily Jeremiah had claimed the spotlight and the majority of the table's attention. Never trust a Guardian, he sulked.

However, The Nemean's after-dinner offer to grant their group a Hallow immediately sobered him up. Whoa, that's major league action right there, he knew. But there was a catch. All of the mages invited tonight had to work together. Ugh, just great.

That meant Mitchell needed to start assessing the others. Rocking back in his chair, he watched to see who the Type A personalities turned out to be. He could already imagine Jeremiah's voice doling out orders. I wouldn't be surprised by that one bit, he scowled.

And to top everything off, the young Obrimos also wondered what ever happened to dessert.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Thorn took the Nemean's words in and nodded. Seemed fairly straightforward to her. It was exactly the kind of thing Chango had been preparing her for, in theory at least.

"What kind of spirit is it?" she wants to know. With her left hand she makes a sort of 'winding' motion, asking for elaboration. "What kind of history does it have?"

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
"What kind of spirit is it?" she wants to know. With her left hand she makes a sort of 'winding' motion, asking for elaboration. "What kind of history does it have?"

The Nemean chuckled, "Oddly enough, it's a spirit of history. Bit of a weird history, though. Let's say it's a 'revisionist' spirit."

Last edited:

"I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Well, I suppose I'll find out with everyone else upon encountering this spirit. Do you perhaps know where it is, more specifically than in the Cormant House?"

At this point, Joseph will take a moment to study the resonace of the area around him, searching for both its nature and any characteristics (ie the things that the mind spell lets him search for). At the same time, he'll check out each of his companions as subtly as possible (not going for the Nemean).

Annalist

First Post
Surprisingly, Thorn was the first to react. Mitchell hadn't really expected that, but perhaps she was familiar with dealing with spirits. He tried to remember everything that she had revealed about herself over the course of dinner, but could only recall her mentioning The Adamantine Arrow and little else. If she turned out to be conversant with the Spirit Arcanum, then that'd be a good fact to know.

Anyway, while Spirit wasn't one of Mitchell's natural inclinations as an Obrimos, it did happen to be an area of study that he was knowledgeable in. And The Nemean did say we could use whatever spells we wanted. So he focused inward, regulated his breathing, and began chanting a melodic string of arcane syllables. The potent words spilled forth from his mouth, adding their power to the rote that he started casting. If the spirit that the Hierarch wanted found was in the immediate vicinity, then this would hopefully allow the young mage to see, hear, and speak with it.

OOC: Casting Spirit Tongue (as a Rote)
Dice Pool = High Speech (2) + Presence (3) + Socialize (1) + Spirit (2)

Shayuri

First Post
"Uh...okay," Thorn replies, giving Mitchell a glance as he babbles some spell or something. Didn't whatshisface at the door say this guy didn't like tricks? Oh well, not her problem.

"Anything..." useful "specific you can tell us? Or is figuring that out part of the test? Just so I don't waste any time chasing shadows."

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
At this point, Joseph will take a moment to study the resonace of the area around him, searching for both its nature and any characteristics (ie the things that the mind spell lets him search for). At the same time, he'll check out each of his companions as subtly as possible (not going for the Nemean).
So, Prime 1 Supernal Vision with a conjunctional Mind 1 to add Aura Perception?
Gnosis+Prime: 6 dice, 0 successes :eek:[/sblock]

Joseph scanned the room, but his supernal senses were muddled. He had never scanned a room full of mages before, and the sensation caught him off guard.

[sblock=OOC]
So he focused inward, regulated his breathing, and began chanting a melodic string of arcane syllables. The potent words spilled forth from his mouth, adding their power to the rote that he started casting. If the spirit that the Hierarch wanted found was in the immediate vicinity, then this would hopefully allow the young mage to see, hear, and speak with it.
Presence+Socialize+Spirit: 7/2
[/sblock]

Gabriel finished speaking, and looked up from the table. The invisible realm of Twilight soaked into his vision like dye bleeding into cloth, and he waited as his mind adjusted to present the information in a form he could comprehend. He heard shrieking cries in a bizarre mix of Arabic, Farsi, and Turkish directly behind him. Gabriel turned around and looked over the breakfast nook, into the kitchen. Tongues of flame jutted out from the oven, coalescing into the shape of a fanged man in chains. He was screaming at The Nemean, who seemed, blithely, not to hear or care. The spirit turned with a confused look in his eye to stare at Gabriel.

"You-- you can see me?" it said.

"Anything..." useful "specific you can tell us? Or is figuring that out part of the test? Just so I don't waste any time chasing shadows."

"Good guess, again!" The Nemean replied, impressed. "Figuring that out is part of the test. You have to know where to look. I will save you some time, though: we have more than one spirit in this house. You need to pick the
right one. And don't get rid of any of the other ones; I like those ones. Figure out the spirit that doesn't belong. You know: 'one of these things is not like the others...'"

He had a singing voice like Tom Waits gargling gravel.

Last edited:

Remove ads