Legacy of the Stone Assembly, Chapter I: The Cabal, The Quill, and the Concord

Shayuri

First Post
"I just think we should work in no less than pairs," Thorn opines. "The underworld's close here. Never know what might set a spirit off, or what else might be sleeping in an old place like this. If you guys who can't see spirits want to do other stuff, that's fine...but you could do that while you're with one of us, right? I mean, why all search separately when we all have to cover the same ground anyway?""

"That seems true enough, but the grouping together still remains. Since we apparently choose our own groups, I believe I'll accompany you to the upper floors. Will anyone else be joining us, or shall we be off?"

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Assuming everyone goes through with Thorn's plan, Jeremiah will go off to find a nice, deserted corridor, double check for anyone else following him, then carefully drop his Mental Shield.

Jeremiah walked discreetly out of the dining room, past the staircase, and into the antechamber. Outside, he saw Arathnos having a cigarette, shivering in the cold New England November. Lucky break. He ducked into the gift shop, and pulled a cherry wood cylinder out of his jacket pocket.

[sblock=OOC]
He will then cast his shiny new Synchronicity spell (2 Dex + 2 Occult + 1 Fate + 2 High Speech = 7 die), and let Fate guide him to an auspicious exhibit.
4 successes.[/sblock]
Jeremiah shook the cylinder, moaning arcane formulae in the ancient tongue. A strip of bamboo fell out of the slit in the bottom of the cylinder, into his palm. Carved in a florid, gold-inlayed strip, it read:
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -Edgar Watson Howe

"Better make it twenty," Thorn suggests. "It's a big house, and we want to check every room. Uh...Gabriel, you start at the basement and work up, I'll go to the attic and go down. When we meet on the ground we'll do left and right, I guess. Or..."

She glances at the Hierarch. "Don't suppose there's a map, is there? Even a cheesy tourist one would work."

"Not really," the Nemean answered. "You'll find your way around easy enough. Now that I think of it, though, you'd be better off if you didn't examine the spirits in the cellar."

[sblock=OOC]Wits+Empathy rolls:

• Gabriel: 4/2
  • Levanna: 2/1
  • Prometheus: 1/0
  • Thorn: 2/0
[/sblock]
Gabriel and Levanna took his meaning. The Nemean was clearly capable of entrapping powerful spirits, and whatever he was keeping under Cormant House, it probably wasn't pretty.

Annalist

First Post
"Yeah, I think we'll skip the cellar for now," Mitchell agreed. "C'mon Levanna, let's go take a look around." With a parting nod to Thorn and Prometheus, he announced, "We'll take the ground floor."

Turning, he made his way out of the dining room and into the hallway back towards the antechamber. "Keep your eyes and ears peeled," he advised, hoping that Levanna was following right behind him and that he wasn't talking to himself. "Oh yeah, holler if you happen to spot a bathroom. 'Cause I kind of drank a lot of water during dinner."

Okay, now if I was a spirit of history, where would I be hanging out? he wondered. Probably in a musty museum area.

OOC: Mitch is gonna check out the museums on the ground floor.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
[sblock=Dice roll]
OOC: Mitch is gonna check out the museums on the ground floor.
Wits (2) + Investigation (2) = 4 dice, Extended action (4 rolls), 5 successes
[/sblock]

The floorboards creaked as Gabriel stepped into the quiet, drafty sitting room that served as the first gallery of Cormant House's museum. There was an old upright piano with handwritten sheet music laid out in front of it on the opposite side of the room, with a swivel stool sitting in front of it. On top of the piano were a book of matches and a candle. Three display cabinets were arranged around the room, and a braided rug covered much of the floor. An open doorway on Gabriel's left led into the next room of the museum. The room was dark, lit only by the antique lamps in the adjoining antechamber, so he took the book of matches from the top of the piano, struck one, and lit the candle. He then used the candle to light the four oil lamps on each of the walls.

Once the room was lit, Gabriel examined each of the room's features. The rug looked fairly new. The red and gold dye hadn't yet faded, and it had little in the way of staining from foot traffic and spills. The display case nearest to the entryway, on Gabriel's left, contained scale models of old houses, with little placards near them: "Example of Colonial Style," "Example of Painted Lady Style," "Example of Gingerbread Style," etc. To his right was a larger cabinet full of plaques, awards, and photographs, and they formed a sort of narrative of the major achievements of construction in Salem since the 1800s. The far wall's display cabinet held a mannequin dressed in faded overalls, boots, and gloves, with a small sign on the case that said, "Typical Construction Outfit, 1890." The piano was a Steinway, with yellowed ivory keys, a scuffed wood body, and a handful of handwritten sheetmusic in the stand. The piece was entitled, "My Dear Old Home at Howard's Rock." The top of the piano, which one might open to tune it, was locked shut with a small padlock.

As Gabriel examined the sheet music, he felt oddly compelled to add onto it, but suppressed the urge.

Last edited:

Annalist

First Post
Mitchell quietly examined the gallery, walking its circumference at a slow and deliberate pace. He scanned the room and peered into the various displays, allowing his intuition, unseen sense, and spirit tongue to do their work. Eventually, one of placards caught his eye. So he read it aloud, "Example of Gingerbread Style." He turned to study the scale model that it corresponded to. Unfortunately, it didn't look edible at all. Needs more chocolate, was his professional opinion.

Stifling a bored yawn, he made his way over to the opposite side of the gallery. A piano sat there looking like it hadn't been played in decades. Too bad I never took lessons. And though he was tempted to press a key to see if the darn thing still worked, he didn't. It was the disastrous mental image of the piano falling to pieces at his touch that had dissuaded him. The last thing I need to do right now is break The Nemean's stuff.

Slowly backing away, Mitchell prepared to move on to the next room to continue his investigation, but halted when some of the sheet music caught his attention. That's odd, he thought. He couldn't read a note of music to save his life and yet he felt a strangely insistent urge to finish the piece that was laying there.

Shaking his head clear, he turned and shouted back towards the dining room, "Hey guys, come take a look at this!"

Shayuri

First Post
"That seems true enough, but the grouping together still remains. Since we apparently choose our own groups, I believe I'll accompany you to the upper floors. Will anyone else be joining us, or shall we be off?"

Thorn nods and gets up to go over towards the entrance to the dining room.

"Hold on a sec."

She produces a small, intricately ornamental dagger made entirely of what looks like brass or bronze...maybe even copper. The images graven into it look distinctively mesoamerican...Incan, maybe, or Mayan. With a quick grimace, she murmurs a spell and pricks the tip of her finger with the knife's end.

Then Thorn nods at Prometheus and tucks the thing away in her back pocket again.

"Alright, lets go."

(Heading upstairs with Prometheus. :))

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
With a quick grimace, she murmurs a spell and pricks the tip of her finger with the knife's end.
Spirit Tongue with a Death 1 option?
Gnosis (2) + Spirit (2) + High Speech (2) = 6 dice, 2 successes[/sblock]
As Thorn ascended the staircase, everything took on a deeper, more significant edge. Peering into the Twilight, she saw two realms at once, and her mind reeled a few seconds before she could reconcile the two images into one. At the top of the stairs, she began to hear a child softly sobbing in the bedroom to her right.

Having moved to a location with less magical noise, Prometheus will attempt drop his sight, and attempt to reweave it to help detect any unusual emotion in the resonance. After a quick pause and a nimbus flare or two, he will follow Thorn up the stairs. Unsure what to expect from the spirits, he sticks fairly close to Thorn, always within sight distance, and usually within reach. Unless prompted, he'll examine the resonance of any item that Thorn stops near, and continue to search it until she leaves.

[sblock=rolls]
Casting Prime 1/Mind 1 conjunctional Supernal Vision until he succeeds
6 dice

Analyzing Resonance
Int + Occult + Density
8 +/- Density Dice
[/sblock]

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
[sblock=rolls]
Casting Prime 1/Mind 1 conjunctional Supernal Vision until he succeeds
6 dice
4 successes
Analyzing Resonance
Int + Occult + Density
8 +/- Density Dice
I'm going to go ahead and roll scrutinize as an extended action until you get enough successes to analyze at least 1 Quality.
3 Int + 5 Occult -2 Density = 6 dice, 3 rolls, 6 successes.
[/sblock]
Prometheus rewove his spell of unveiling, and felt the emotions of the house rush into him. He gasped, as a wave of shrieking fear rose up out of the staircase. He doubled over, staring down at the carpeted staircase, and a trail of pure terror stretched out at his feet. He traced it with his eyes, up to the top of the staircase, and into the bedroom to their right.

Remove ads