Legend of Drizzt: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I know I'm like a broken record with this but the D&D Boardgames are pretty fun. This is coming from a guy who's a pretty die hard Paizo/Pathfinder guy and not a fan of 4E as an RPG.

But as a board game? Fun as hell.

WOTC got this so right it's not even funny. They got it so right that I bought both Ravenloft and Wrath and I'll probably be buying Drizzt when it comes out.

Dannager

First Post
I was just saying that it kinda looks like WOTC is shifting from a Paper and Pencil D&D RPG to a board game format for the D&D intellectual property.

Because that's what happened last time someone released a D&D board game. And the time before. And the time before.

...waaaaaaiiiiit...

I know I'm like a broken record with this but the D&D Boardgames are pretty fun. This is coming from a guy who's a pretty die hard Paizo/Pathfinder guy and not a fan of 4E as an RPG.

But as a board game? Fun as hell.

WOTC got this so right it's not even funny. They got it so right that I bought both Ravenloft and Wrath and I'll probably be buying Drizzt when it comes out.

Ditto. WotC hasn't sold me an RPG product since 4E came out. They've sold me two boardgames in the last three months and they'll probably sell me two more before the year ends (sloppy :):):):)ing rulebooks notwithstanding).

Actually, ya know what? I'm going to go play it right now.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Ditto. WotC hasn't sold me an RPG product since 4E came out. They've sold me two boardgames in the last three months and they'll probably sell me two more before the year ends (sloppy :):):):)ing rulebooks notwithstanding).

Actually, ya know what? I'm going to go play it right now.
The second one is a little better than the first one. They do seem to learn.

kitsune9

Adventurer
There was a theory proposed in a different forum that it could be a brilliant multi-tiered marketing strategy.

Offer board games, which include minis and map tiles, and have simple D&D-derived rules. You can sell them to a broader audience than just D&D players, so prices go down.

Then offer the full game as a step up for people who like the board game. Or, for people who already play the tabletop game, point them to the board games to get minis and maps at prices comparable with buying the old mini boosters.

I can definitely see this as the viable strategy.

kitsune9

Adventurer
So when my Wulfgar token lands on your Drizzt Token, do i say SORRY!! and send your drizzt back to the start circle?

Or is there a bubble in the middle of the board with a D6 inside that we all pop to move our tokens around the board?

hehehe. You just passed waterdeep, collect 1000 GP's. :lol:

Hilarious, I was laughing at this. Pure awesome.

Stormonu

Legend
I've got the Ravenloft game, but I found it kinda *meh*. Of course, I grew up playing the likes of (Advanced) Heroquest/Warhammer Quest and more recently Descent.

To my knowledge, this is a list of the board games or boardgame-like products TSR/WotC has put out in the past related to D&D, prior to these particular games:

Dungeon
Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Book (Yes, it had a board game in the middle of the book, no you can't have my copy)
Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game
Dragonstrike
Basic D&D boxed set (90's version), Dragon's Den, Haunted Tower, Goblin's Lair (Well, sorta - they're boxed like a board game)
Dragonlance
AD&D Trivia Game
Cardmaster: Adventure Design Deck
Clue: Dungeons & Dragons
Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, Eternal Winter
Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark

I'm sure I'm missing others.

I'm pretty sure that if Dragonstrike couldn't sink interest in D&D, I doubt these games will harm the hobby. And honestly, compared to the looks-like-it-was-pooed-out Dragonstrike minis (and it's "Hyper-reality" [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ"]video[/ame]), the new games are pretty nifty. And I'd love to see the old Dungeon redone in a manner similar to, say, Wrath.

Remove ads