D&D 5E Legends & Lore Article 4/1/14 (Fighter Maneuvers)

Ichneumon

First Post
Gotta feel a little sorry for the warlord. Full class one edition, and a sub-subclass the next.

Still, the battle master looks sweet.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
So Rodney say that short rest is one hour so I'm happy.
One thing I don't understand is how can you get the menuveres from lvl 1, I though that you pick the subclasses at 3rd level.

Warder
The idea is, even though you don't get maneuvers until level 3, you can still make a fighter who feels like a swashbucker at level 1, because you don't have to invest any resources in base competence (you can automatically use whatever weapons/armor you want).

As for the maneuvers: This sounds pretty much identical to the weaponmaster fighter in the open playtest. I haven't played it, but one of my players does, and from my side of the screen it looks a little unsatisfying. Why use maneuvers when everything dies in two rounds anyway? Why give yourself advantage on your next attack when you already pretty much can't miss? The fighter has (very limited) tactical options, but the tactical aspect of the game itself is so nonexistent that it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
One thing I don't understand is how can you get the menuveres from lvl 1, I though that you pick the subclasses at 3rd level.

You do get maneuvers at level 3, if you choose the Battle Master subclass.

The reference to level 1 is only about being able to play different basic fighter concept (e.g. swashbuckler or sword & board) without the need for feats or similar.

I don't see the article on the Wizards of the Coast website. Is this an April Fool's prank?

Just open any previous article, and change the date in the webpage address!

Edit: or click here -> http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140401

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like the way superiority dice can be used to enable others, grant advantage, force movement or even act off turn. It has many different maneuvers that can be tactically sound.

the Jester

Legend
Oh great, a 4th edition style fighter that can force others to move.

Oh boy :erm:

What's wrong with having that, for people who want it? It's not the only fighter option available.

Gotta feel a little sorry for the warlord. Full class one edition, and a sub-subclass the next.

Yeah, I'm afraid that I'm going to be very disappointed in their warlord-equivalent. :(

Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

variant

Adventurer
So is the Battle Master the only subclass that gets superiority dice?

I really dislike the 4e warlord concept, but I knew they were going to add a subclass to support it.

Remove ads