D&D 5E Legends & Lore Article 4/1/14 (Fighter Maneuvers)

Gadget

Adventurer
Sounds interesting, though I'm not sold on the name. Battle Master just seems a little too..I don't know? cheesy sounding?

Ichneumon

First Post
Here's the Battle Master - come and get it!

I suspect we'll see a few more of these subclasses that ate their neighbours for lunch. As publication nears and the Players' Handbook consolidates, the fringe subclasses will have to prove their worth or get absorbed, to fit the allotted page count. Who knows, the wizard subclasses might divide up into Summoner (abj & conj), Mystic (ench & illusion), Sage (alteration & divination), and Widowmaker (evocation & necro).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
article said:
The fighter remained one of the simplest classes for many years. Personally, I think that's because the fighter was the baseline from which many classes deviated. A rogue ...
Ignoring the idea that rogues (thieves) are a combat-oriented class I disagree that Fighters were historically one of the simplest classes. They are actually the second most difficult class, the second most complex game for players to play of the four core classes. The difference is Wizards is still designing a Powers game of exceptions-based designed rather than a fully fleshed out system. The earlier combat designs of D&D were based off of wargames. They were largely detailed and Fighters had all of the possible formations of such to deal with and afford themselves of. They could perform any combat action if they could figure out how to do it. Fighter subclasses were more focused or weaker with focuses in other areas of the game. They received abilities because they were weaker than fighters. These were to shore up their design. As well as to open up other avenues of play they were more focused upon.

Remove ads