• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legion style tower shields

generalhenry

First Post
Tower shield +3 AC and Reflex. While wielding a tower shield you can only use offhand weapons.

Think roman legion tower shield and short sword.

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
Tower shield +3 AC and Reflex. While wielding a tower shield you can only use offhand weapons.

Think roman legion tower shield and short sword.

I wouldn't limit the weapon used, as Romans often used spears with these shields.

I would recommend:

Code:
                    Shield   
                    Bonus      Check      Speed      Price      Weight
Tower Shield         +3         -3          —        30gp       40lb.

or possibly                     -2         -1

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
Attempting realism would include reestablishing the shield as cover.

I'm merely trying to allow for what is known to exist... spear-wielding tetsudo/phalanx formations.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
What made their shields effective was the formations they fought in and the training to use them in formation. In individual combat, their are better shields. For trained formation fighting, they are hard to beat.

I would reflect it in special abilities when the shield is used. As a minor and move action, the tower shield can be used to grant cover until the beginning of your next turn. If two or more characters acting on the same initiative and being adjacent use the power, it grants superior cover.

Quartz

Hero
Just make it a standard large shield that gets +1 AC when it's next to a similar shield for -1 Reflex. Spend a feat and you get +1 AC for each like shield to a maximum of +3 (either side and on top).

Monty24

First Post
I wouldn't limit the weapon used, as Romans often used spears with these shields.

Actually, the phalanx with spear was developed by the Greeks, utilizing much smaller shields than the Roman legion did.

The "spears" used by the Roman legion were one handed javelins designed to not only kill, but make enemy shields useless in the event of a block.

I perfectly agree with the limitation of off-hand weapons only

Corey_Austin

First Post
We actually houseruled a similar tower shield, and it doesn't seem to be overly unbalancing.

Ours was:
Tower Shield *+2 AC/REF * -2 Check * -1 speed * 30 gp * 25 lbs
On a round where you do not move, or take a total defense action, you increase your shield bonus to +4 AC/REF against foes in a facing of your choice.

Average level 1 enemies have +6ish to hit. This plus plate would bring AC to 22 on defense/stationary turn. Still hittable 25% (down from 35%) of the time for a level 1 foe against the shield's defensive arc.

Last edited:

generalhenry

First Post
Tower Shield *+2 AC/REF * -2 Check * 30 gp * 25 lbs
On a round where you do not move, or take a total defense action, you increase your shield bonus to +4 AC/REF against foes in a facing of your choice.

I'd ditch the facing, flanking simulates it well enough. There haven't been facing rules for some time now, and for good reason.

hmm. I'm honestly not sure if it's better for it to be +1 AC or +2 AC
AC is a rare commodity in 4E

The other idea brought up was -1 speed. Which could justify more AC since speed is a rare commodity as well.

Remove ads