• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
Two Things

1. Illusionists do not learn spells in the same way as M-Us -- they have a special, secret language in which their spells are written (see, 1E DMG p. 39). Illusionists start with 3 random spells, rolled with a d12, selected from the list of 1st level spells at random.

Let me do that:
1d12=5, 1d12=7, 1d12=6

That's:
Darkness
Detect Invisibility
Detect Illusion

2. Unearthed Arcana is NOT used in this game!

Last edited:

DM_Wannabe

First Post
1. Illusionists do not learn spells in the same way as M-Us -- they have a special, secret language in which their spells are written (see, 1E DMG p. 39). Illusionists start with 3 random spells, rolled with a d12, selected from the list of 1st level spells at random.

Let me do that:
1d12=5, 1d12=7, 1d12=6

That's:
Darkness
Detect Invisibility
Detect Illusion

2. Unearthed Arcana is NOT used in this game!

Do you have any house rules regarding spell components, or is it strictly by the book, MUs and Illusionists must buy, carry, and keep track of their spell components?

Leif

Adventurer
I generally assume that casters have whatever readily available, mundane material components that they need, provided that they make half an effort to roleplay replenishing their supply of components occasionally. The exceptions are the rare or expensive component and clerics' holy symbols.

DM_Wannabe

First Post
I tried looking this up, but I can't seem to find it in either the PHB nor the DMG. Can illusionists use quarter staffs as weapons? And if they can, how much does one of those things cost?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I am almost certain they can use staves, though don't have a page reference in front of me. It's basically part of the "all the stuff not specified is the same as an MU" bit.

I also believe (though could be wrong) that staves, like clubs, are assumed to be free. Basically, anyone can find a suitably long, balanced and strong branch/piece of wood and shape it into a workable staff (or club) of their desire. I suppose if you wanted something iron-shod on the ends or dipped in silver or sparkly mutli-colored crystals embedded at one end...<mental note for illusionist magic item, a staff with a rainbow of [7] colored crystals ringed around one end...does all the chromatic orbs, color spray, some color-specific power per crystal /mental note>...or whatever bells or whistles on a basic wood staff, that would cost money.

Leif

Adventurer
sd is correct. A good, stout metal shod staff (both ends) costs 3 sp, slightly more than a single arrow, but less than a dart. Or you can pick up a big stick for free.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Wannabe,
The info is on p.19 of the PHB right before the classes are individually discussed.
Table 2: Character Classes
Illusionists get: Dagger, Dart, Staff and Oil

wolfattack

First Post
*Updated Sheet*

Since Magic-User don't have a lot of things they need besides the spellbook and a high int score, i have choosen some miscellaneous adventure equipment that may be useful one day or another.

About the languages, i have chosen 4 besides common. i understand that this numbers represents the time that Martin spent studying with his late father, a Wizard wich was slain by a unknow necromancer cult when he discovered their whereabouts. i would like to leave this as a hook to the DM, so maybe we can explore this part of my character's past. i also would like to leave my background as it is for now if the DM allows, i usually like to develop the character background during play as new ideas pop up. another reason for that is that i don't know enough of the Greyhawk world to do something more elaborated. i ordered on Amazon the 1983 Boxed set two weeks ago and i hope it wll arrive next week. hopefully then i'll know more about the setting and its places. i know that i could learn more about it in the internet, but this is not my kind of stuff honestly. i'm the materialist type guy. :devil:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Ludoliv, Prestidigitator
Magic-User – Level 1
Human

STR 10 ( 1-2 Open Doors, 2% Bend Bars/Lift Gates)
INT 17 (6 Additional languages, 75% Chance to know listed spell, 8/14 Minimum/Maximum Spells per level )
WIS 15 (+1 Magical attack adjustment)
DEX 14
CON 15 (+1 HP, 91% System Shock Survival, 94% Resurrection Survival)
CHA 12 (5 Henchmen max)

Hit Points: 5
Armor Class: 10
Move:

Saving Throws
14 Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
13 Petrification or Polymorph
11 Rod, Staff, or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
12 Spell

Spellbook: Lvl 1 - Read Magic, Enlarge, Affect Normal Fires, Mending

Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin, Hafling, Orcish
Secondary Skill:
Gold Pieces: 27
Silver Pieces: 15

Equipment:
2 g.p – Dagger
2 g.p - Leather Backpack
5 s.p - Candle Wax x5
1 g.p - Flask of Oil
7 g.p - Hooded Lantern

Last edited:

DM_Wannabe

First Post
Name : Theron Greywand
Race : Human
Class : Illusionist
Align : Chaotic Good

Level : 1
XP : 0

AC : 8
HP : 4

Sex : Male
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190 lb
Hair : Brown
Eyes : Blue

STR : 9 Open Doors: 1-2, Bend Bars: 1%
INT : 15 Additional Languages: 4, Chance to Know Spells: 65%, Min/Max # of Spells per level: 7/11
WIS : 13 Magical Attack Adjustment: none
DEX : 16 Reaction/Attacking Adjustment: +1, Defensive Adjustment: -2
CON : 12 System Shock Survival: 80%, Resurrection Survival: 85%
CHA : 7 Max No. of Henchmen: 3, Loyalty Base: -10%, Reaction Adjustment: -5%

Saving Throws
14 Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
13 Petrification or Polymorph
11 Rod, Staff, or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
12 Spell

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling

Spells in spell book: Darkness, Detect Invisibility, Detect Illusion
Spells memorized: Darkness

Weapon: Quarter staff

# Initial weapons: 1
Non-proficiency penalty: -5
Added proficiency/level: 1/6

Starting gold: 60 gp

Equipment:
Spell book
Spell components
Staff, quarter
Belt 3 sp
Boots, high, hard 2 gp
Cloak 5 sp
Backpack, leather 2 gp
Oil, flask of (2) 2 gp
Pouch, belt, large 1 gp
Pouch, belt, small 15 sp
Rope, 50' 4 sp
Sack, large 16 sp
Skin for water or wine 15 sp
Tinder Box, with flint & steel 1 gp
Torch (6) 6 cp
Rations, iron, 2 week 10 gp

Money on hand: 8 pp, 1 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp

Description: Theron is a young human male with a tall, slender build, short brown hair, and blue eyes. He wears light brown trousers which are tucked into his tall brown leather boots. Two pouches hang from his brown leather belt which wraps around the bottom of his long grey wool shirt. A leather string laces up the opening of the shirt. Over his shoulders is drapped a non-descript dark brown cloak with a hood. He carries in his hand a plain wooden staff.

Background:

Theron was born to Olmyr and Serena Greywand. Olmyr was a textile merchant, and Serena cared for their home. The family led a comfortable and safe life. The Greywands got their family name from Theron's great-grandfather, Zenon. Zenon was an incredible Illusionist of great power and fortune. From the time Theron was old enough to hear the stories about his great-grandfather, he wanted to become an illusionist like Zenon. Despite his father's efforts to teach him the family business of being a textile merchant, Theron only wanted to follow in his great-grandfather's footsteps.

The Greywands eventually conceded to Theron's wishes, and sent him to study the arcane arts of illusion under the master illusionist Aerlwyn Elvenfriend, who himself studied under Theron's great-grandfather, Zenon. Aerlwyn decided to take two apprentices, and Theron was partnered with Drannor Blackstaff, son of Vandor Blackstaff, a mediocre magician who enjoyed a measure of success as an adventurer. That is to say, he survived, which is not as much as he could say for the other adventurers who accompanied him on his oft ill-fated journeys.

Right from the beginning, Drannor and Theron were highly competitive with each other. Aerlwyn would give the two apprentices assignments and projects in their studies and Theron would always prove to be the brighter of the two students. It didn't take long for Drannor to become resentful. Tensions grew as the two apprentices advanced in their studies. As the years passed, Drannor grew to hate Theron for being the better student.

For their final test before becoming full-fledged illusionists, Aerlwyn had the two apprentices prepare a careful mix of chemicals and incantations that would produce a fantastic illusion, proving their skills and abilities. The day before the students were to perform the rituals, Drannor replaced some of the chemicals in Theron's laboratory, knowing that the effects would produce a terrible failure for his nemesis, and finally proving that he himself was the better illusionist of the two.

The day arrived for the two young illusionist hopefuls to perform the ritual before their mentor. Both students prepared in the grand hall, a large table in front of each of them along with their spell components and spell books. The plan was that they were to work simultaneously side-by-side and eventually cast the two illusions at the same time so that they could be compared by their master. However, as fate would have it, Aerlwyn had one additional twist to add to the final project of his two fledglings. When Drannor and Theron were both set to begin their final ritual in the great hall, their teacher had them switch places. Theron was to use Drannor's spell components, and Drannor, Theron's. The thought behind Aerlwyn's final twist was to better prepare the two apprentice illusionists for the uncertainty of practicing magic beyond the safety of their master's tower.

Drannor knew that he was done for. But he couldn't reveal what he had done; otherwise his master would surely dismiss him. Drannor tried to produce excuse after excuse to delay their final test with no success. With no other option, Drannor ended up combining the chemicals that he himself had switched out with the hopes of ruining Theron's chances of becoming an illusionist. When the time came and the incantations were spoken, a terrible explosion took place. Broken glass and caustic chemicals flew about the room.

When the smoke settled, Drannor lay on the ground with horrific burns on his face and one of his eyes had been blinded. Aerlwyn instantly knew exactly what had happened. With great indignity, the master admonished Drannor for his evil and selfish deeds. Even as the young Drannor sat on the ground in pain from his injuries, Theron tried to offer aid to his fellow apprentice. But Drannor was filled with rage. In his eyes, it was Theron's fault that this had happened. Filled with anger, Drannor pushed Theron to the ground and ran from the great hall. Hatred guided his steps as he made his way through the tower to his chamber where Aerlwyn kept his valuable magic items that he had collected over the years. Drannor knew exactly what he was looking for. He wanted the one thing that would help him finally accomplish what he had wanted to do all these years…kill Theron. Aerlwyn had a Wand of Illusion, and Drannor grabbed it then fled the tower. But before he left, he yelled at the top of his lungs, “Revenge will be mine, Theron! “ And with that, Drannor disappeared from Aerlwyn Elvenfriend’s tower.

Theron finished studies with Aerlwyn and went out into the world to make his way n his own, but he is always on the lookout for his nemesis, always looking over his shoulder at every turn, knowing that Drannor lurks out there somewhere, hell-bent on destroying Theron.

Remove ads