• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game OOC01

Scotley

Hero
Sorry Centisteed, I'll take most of the blame. I've been overdoing the comic aspects of Spider a bit of late. I didn't mean to offend. I will put him to good use once we make planet fall and start on the mission proper.

The GM and I are old friends and we tend to play off each others sense of humor when we get together. Not always to the benefit of the game we happen to be involved in. I assure you I am quite capable of playing a serious character as well.

I've also been under a good bit of work stress of late which is no doubt bringing out my silly side when I do get a chance to take a break and post to the games. Consider me chastised.

Centisteed

First Post
Sorry Centisteed, I'll take most of the blame. I've been overdoing the comic aspects of Spider a bit of late. I didn't mean to offend. I will put him to good use once we make planet fall and start on the mission proper.

The GM and I are old friends and we tend to play off each others sense of humor when we get together. Not always to the benefit of the game we happen to be involved in. I assure you I am quite capable of playing a serious character as well.

I've also been under a good bit of work stress of late which is no doubt bringing out my silly side when I do get a chance to take a break and post to the games. Consider me chastised.

No apology necessary. It's just that when reading
general Internet forums, they are awash in people
making jokes. Everybody on the Internet is a comedian.
Then I go read our Traveller forum & the jokes
continue & the game starts feeling like Spaceballs.
And it's not to say your joke wasn't funny. I thought
it was.

However, the "Spaceballs effect" has been one of the
biggest complaints I've read about Traveller that others
have ran into when running a game. Basically the
suspension of disbelief gets blown away & after that
the game is over. My advise would be to keep the game
as serious as possible to avoid the comedic pitfall.
Or reduce it, say a comic joke after every 10 of your
own posts, for example, to space it out.

It looks like everyone is getting back into the game
though, which is good to read. :) These are all my
opinions & viewpoints to take with as you will. I also
think Lief is doing just fine with his game.

Leif

Adventurer
It looks like everyone is getting back into the game though, which is good to read. :) These are all my
opinions & viewpoints to take with as you will. I also
think Leif is doing just fine with his game.
We are, finally, yay!! And THANKS!
Your opinions and observations are appreciated and given due deference, the same as all the other players. ;) [Oh, and I corrected your spelling of my name, too, hope you don't mind. :eek: ]

Scotley

Hero
The game does indeed seem to be picking up speed.

I appreciate your comments. I'll do my best to keep the Spaceballs effect to a minimum and try to keep the jokes in character and within the range that won't destroy the illusion of reality.

Leif

Adventurer
Houskeeping

It occurs to me that I've had some thoughts about your SOP as Zeering Conglomerate's Repair Crew that I have neglected t clue you in about.

1. For fuel, repairs, small upgrades, berthing fees, and other ship expenses there is on board a Zeering Conglomerate "Ruby Card" that is stored in a special comparment just for that purpose on the bridge of the Zax Hakjohn Quik. None of you has any idea about any 'credit limit' on the card. You just swipe the card when you have legitimate expenses, and, so far, that's always been the end of the matter. [The bill presumably goes to Zeering's offices somewhere or other.] The card itself is an Imperial Express card, and where the cardholder's name usually appears, is etched into the card the Zeering Conglomerate logo. Within the etching of the logo are transcribed in micro script, readable by a standard card reader computer device, the names and ID data of each crewmember. Note that using this card is a highly reliable method for Zeering Conglomerate to track your movements, and see if you are where you are supposed to be. [Or at least if the Zax is/was there. There is still the little matter of the delay of several weeks between the time you swipe the card and the time Zeering actually receives the information, of course. In theory, if Zeering was to go bankrupt suddenly, you could run up quite an extensive bill on the card before the news caught up with you. It is very much not recommended that you test this.]

2. There is also a card reader computer device on the bridge of the Zax so you can use the card to pay for ship expenses via com link without removing the card from the ship at all. In fact, your orders specify that the card is to remain on the bridge of the Zax at all times. The fact that your individual data appear on the card at first seems to be superflous if the card is to remain onboard the Zax at all times, until you consider that it serves as a permanent link joining each of you to the Zax, in the unlikely [?] event that any of you should ever be detained off-ship. It's a kind of redundant ship's manifest in that respect, and one that is not subject to casual tampering.

This whole concept is sort of a work in progress, so feel free to make suggestions regarding it, whether it's to express your disapproval/approval, or possible improvements to the SOP, or whatever. I'm also not sure how compatible this idea is with "Traveller canon," so I'll accept criticism in that regard as well. ;)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
The preceding post has been edited since it was originally posted, in case someone missed the changes/additions. :)

Leif

Adventurer
We've only heard from Zoe and Spider since the last GM IC post, so I'll give Lou/Jimmy, Centisteed/Gruffle, and Insight/Kaira some additional time to make IC posts in order to chime in with observations, plans, questions, what have you, and I presently intend to make my next IC post either Monday night or sometime Tuesday, if we've heard from them all by then. In the alternative, if as many of those three who don't post IC, do post here in the OOC and tell me that their characters are quiet because they have lockjaw, they're busy masturbating (this activity especially is not worthy of an IC post, I think), or whatever, I'll go ahead and make an IC post fairly reasonably soon after I become aware of that fact.

Just made more small additions to the Emerald Card post, too, @ just before 1600 cdt, 5/1/11.

Last edited:

Centisteed

First Post
Sorry for the delay. I lost Internet from Friday afternoon
to Saturday afternoon, exactly 24 hours & now I feel
I'm coming down with a crappy head cold.

Leif

Adventurer
No delay noticed here. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself. But, ah, you might want to see if you can get by without a map? I guess I could cobble some crap together, but it would really serve no purpose beyond just looking preeeety. And the kind of cobble-job we're looking at here would not be very pretty at all.

Remove ads