• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leif's Homebrew 4E, OOC1

Leif

Adventurer
How about all of the PCs be cousins. Then we can compete with each other and still have a good reason to watch each other's backs.
So siblings don't compete with each other? What planet were you really raised on, Lou?? Seriously, there is already a proposal for at least one relation being closer than that. (See below.) But cousins is also good. There's no reason why the relationship has to be identical among all PCs. Like, for example, you can make Scotley be the weird uncle who belches loudly at family gatherings. hehehe
Yeah, I'm going with the Eladrin (sunelf) noble Bard. Cunning bard, focusing on bow attacks, implement attacks, and party boosting/healing.

Looks like I'll also be the party ritualist.
Excellent! Oh, and [MENTION=13681]Sparky[/MENTION] will be joining us anon with his Eladrin Fighter (Slayer), and he indepently came up with the idea of being the Bard's brother or husband. I told him he'd have to take that up with you, Shayuri.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
I have looked until I am pointed in the ears, and I still can't find where varieties of Eladrin (sunelf) are explained! Next, I'm gonna try looking in the Monster books --- hey, maybe that's where I should have started? Nope, not there, either. Also not in Manual of the Planes, but that book does have some good Eladrin info. I have no problem with some or all of the PCs being originally from Astrazalian or Senaliesse, or somewhere else in the Feywild.

Last edited:

Sparky

Howdy all! Thanks for having me! I've sorta always thought it'd be awesome to be in a party of all Eladrin. Fey Step Brigade, chaaaarge!

To clarify, I'm a she, not a he. I wasn't fixed on a gender for my PC yet, was trying to figure out where to fit in. Since all the roles were covered, I opted for Striker (burn those enemies down faster).

I'm a big fan of tightly knit PC backgrounds, so I was looking for a built-in relationship, sibling/spouse. If anyone is weirded out by the spouse idea, my thinking on it was that it's more of an arranged affair and the PCs are not romantically involved (I don't have any interest in RPing romantic interludes).

IDEAS FOR SHARED BACKGROUNDS:

-- The Bard is the 'real' noble amongst us and we're his/her advisors and protectors. I think it'd be cool RPing some noble hierarchy. I also think it'd make combat more interesting.

-- The PCs are part of an Order (with a cool, Fey Eladrin-y name, like, the Stormriders, Stormblades, Frost Seekers, Rose Guardians, yadda yadda (flowery stuff here)) that serves the Wizards. Current Mission: Find out what's going on with Magic swirling away.

-- PCs are commoners (Bard excepted), who have through shared adventure come to share a common cause.

-- PCs are nobles, but have formed a mercenary/adventuring group blowing off their duties to cavort around the world. (This gives players the most individual freedom with their backgrounds, but I find it the least inventive/interesting).

Sparky

Sun elves are a variety of elf from Faerun (the Forgotten Realms setting).

From wikipedia:
"Sun elves are primarily found upon the island of Evermeet and because of this, they are less common across the rest of Faerûn. With bronze colored skin; gold, black, or green eyes; and gold, blond, black, or (rarely) red hair, they are also called gold elves. Sun elves are less physically fit, but more intellectually advanced, than their counterparts. Sun elves are the primary practitioners of elven High Magic, and are among the greatest magic-users of Toril, both arcane and divine. In 4th edition, sun elves are eladrin."

Leif

Adventurer
But, remember, the PCs have gathered in the Feywild at their favorite wine fountain in the tavern called the Laughing Gull, located among the white towers of Astrazalian, City of Starlight. You are all here, as is your good friend Yrellen. You have agreed to meet with her here after recovering from your recent intense but indecisive battle with the Black Dragon Archangault, which occurred on the Prime Material Plane. Archangault eluded you at the end, and absconded, but you know not to whence.

[sblock=DM talk]Wow, I'm about ready to get this show started, if you can't tell. And I have no idea what I'm even doing yet! Who isn't ready yet? Can I get a post from everyone who is ready or almost ready with an estimate of when he'll be ready?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Arr...I always figured Sulannus was actually from the Feywild; her House part of the Summer Court. I just thought 'sun elf' sounded summery. :)

Sulannus is not heir to her House, but is probably something like a second or third daughter, so is still fairly high ranking. She has been (until the game start) acting as an envoy and diplomat between House Phaedran (her House) and other eladrin Houses, and perhaps other kinds of fey as well. This duty is why she has so many Exploration rituals in her book...she has frequently been called on to travel in the Feywild...or via Fey Passage even into the mortal world!

She's not married, though it's true that her hand would likely be offered in a diplomatic marriage, to bind another House to her own. Beyond that, I'm open to different possibilities for relationships. Sibling, cousin, guard...lets talk!

Leif

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of tightly knit PC backgrounds, so I was looking for a built-in relationship, sibling/spouse. If anyone is weirded out by the spouse idea, my thinking on it was that it's more of an arranged affair and the PCs are not romantically involved (I don't have any interest in RPing romantic interludes).

IDEAS FOR SHARED BACKGROUNDS:

-- The Bard is the 'real' noble amongst us and we're his/her advisors and protectors. I think it'd be cool RPing some noble hierarchy. I also think it'd make combat more interesting.

-- The PCs are part of an Order (with a cool, Fey Eladrin-y name, like, the Stormriders, Stormblades, Frost Seekers, Rose Guardians, yadda yadda (flowery stuff here)) that serves the Wizards. Current Mission: Find out what's going on with Magic swirling away.

-- PCs are commoners (Bard excepted), who have through shared adventure come to share a common cause.

-- PCs are nobles, but have formed a mercenary/adventuring group blowing off their duties to cavort around the world. (This gives players the most individual freedom with their backgrounds, but I find it the least inventive/interesting).
Whew! Thanks for clarifying about the romantic interludes! Thought I was gonna barf on my keyboard for a second there. Hehehe. Let me interject here that I would prefer all PCs to be related somehow, by blood or marriage. In the same House, for sure. In fact, I'd like for your House to be counted among the Summer Fey, so all being Eladrin nobles is one possibility.

Leif

Adventurer
Arr...I always figured Sulannus was actually from the Feywild; her House part of the Summer Court. I just thought 'sun elf' sounded summery. :)

Sulannus is not heir to her House, but is probably something like a second or third daughter, so is still fairly high ranking. She has been (until the game start) acting as an envoy and diplomat between House Phaedran (her House) and other eladrin Houses, and perhaps other kinds of fey as well. This duty is why she has so many Exploration rituals in her book...she has frequently been called on to travel in the Feywild...or via Fey Passage even into the mortal world!

She's not married, though it's true that her hand would likely be offered in a diplomatic marriage, to bind another House to her own. Beyond that, I'm open to different possibilities for relationships. Sibling, cousin, guard...lets talk!
Excellent as always Shayuri! "Summery" indeed! Perhaps Sulannus was not with the others during the recent battle with Archangault? Yes, I like that. I'd like it if she was here in Astrazalian at the Laughing Gull with Yrellen awaiting the arrival of the others.

More thoughts, anyone? I like this brew we're cooking!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
A Note on Names

Don't worry overmuch if your characters do not all have the same surname. In my world at least, Eladrin consider themselves free to choose their own names when they come of age. Many honor their father and/or mother by choosing a same name, surname or not it just depends, but many others feel more independent and do not select names common among their kin. Your PCs may all be siblings, from the same birth even(!)*, and yet you could all have totally unrelated names. Your close kinship is nevertheless written in your hearts and in your blood.

* - My word, a litter of Eladrin! Alert the media at once!

Remove ads