Pathfinder 1E Leif's Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Reprise, [Pfdr] [OOC 03]

Leif

Adventurer
GISH: gish - Wiktionary

And at L6, Simeon would get one L1 Ranger spell per day! One more cure light never hurt. Especially in a party with no cleric and only one wizard with a druid level. Seriously, though, if you'd rather go Fighter, by all means please do so! (Because if it was me in your shoes, I think I would.)

And, like I said, for ease of character generation, you can build Simeon as a Half-Orc, his "full-blooded orcness" will just be pure fluff. Hey, for all we know, he may be only half-blooded Orc! That's now up to you, sir.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
gish - never heard them called that ( I was thinking of going Eldritch Knight to catch the others.)

ranger7/wizard5/eldritch knight8 (for when he reaches 20th lvl)

Being an orc let's me forgo taking Diehard. Although I could take it and do standard actions all the way up to one point under my CON score, then auto stabilize.

But I could Bluff falling from a blow auto stabilize and then wait to make a surprise attack. Means I would need to get that feat that allows for standing without provoking an AoO.

I have though that Simeon would have a 13 INT (14 at character lvl 8) and if he went to 20th lvl (see above) then he need only a 17 (so +3 more at all lvl ups) to cast the spells allowed.

So I was thinking of stat him out as a wizard and then applying the orc crunch to raise the STR and drop the INT. Need a good CON with Ferocity.

Still in the development stages.

About spells and healing.

I wish Simeon to be in awe of magic and have none of his own. He will be taking the alternate classes Skirmisher and Guide.

Skirmisher gets rid of the spells for some neat abilities (and is why I need one more lvl of ranger - for an extra neat abiltiy).

But I have a question are you allowing traits?? If so I will be getting

Dangerously Curious - (+1 trait bonus to UMD and becomes a class skill) As it fits really well. I will then buy a wand of cure light wounds and shocking grasp. Just a few things Simeon picked up that he shouldn't be playing with. ;)

Ok I need sleep and to come back and time to fluff up a background.

HM

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, we can use the trait thing. Everybody needs one, I guess. Or is it two? I've never actually seen UMD put to use in a real game! Exciting! :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
by the way, this is from the pathfinder monsters srd:

Orc Characters

Orcs are defined by their class levels—they do not possess
racial Hit Dice. All orcs have the following racial traits.

+4 Strength, –2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma:

Orcs are brutal and savage.

Darkvision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Ferocity Light Sensitivity
Page 219
Weapon Familiarity: Orcs are always proficient with
greataxes and falchions, and treat any weapon with the word
“orc” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Orcs begin play speaking Common and Orc.
Orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from among
the following bonus languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll,
Goblin, Undercommon.

Leif

Adventurer
by the way, this is from the pathfinder monsters srd: Orc Characters | Orcs are defined by their class levels—they do not possess | racial Hit Dice. All orcs have the following racial traits.
+4 Strength, –2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma:
Orcs are brutal and savage. | Darkvision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. |Ferocity Light Sensitivity
Page 219
Weapon Familiarity: Orcs are always proficient with
greataxes and falchions, and treat any weapon with the word
“orc” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Orcs begin play speaking Common and Orc.
Orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from among
the following bonus languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll,
Goblin, Undercommon.
Thanks for that, but I've given Holy Man the option to treat Simeon as a half-orc, because, heck, he could very easily be one! Holy Man, if you prefer to use the orc stat stuff, you can, but I suspect that will seriously hamper your desire to pursue Wizardry in the future. So you still have the Half-Orc Option. ;)
Two is the 'recommended' number, and that's what you approved for Manny.
Two Traits apiece for all it shall be then!

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well I tried it both ways and half-orc crunch won out for two reasons and neither is due to the -2 INT penalty.

One reason: as a half-orc it allowed for alternate racial traits. Simeon now has a bite attack and large tusks (maybe change the name to Longtooth?)

I also took Cavewight as it fit the concept and he will be doing more survival checks than Intimidating checks (I believe). Took Deep Sight (feat) also because it fit.

Another reason: Has to do with stats but not INT but, CHA :erm: That -2 hurt. For the character it seemed I need every stat but CHA and so I took it down by two. But when you add the orcs -2 that dropped it down to 6 - Way to low to be trying UMD. So that was a big reason I went Half-orc.

In his background (there is only notes for now) I will have it that with his big tusks and other features he leans heavily towards his orcy parent (which I think will be his mother - his human dad being killed, by orcs of course). So he thinks himself as a full blood orc and grew up among orcs only.

Ok well here he is everything but mundane equipment and some potions.

[sblock=Simeon Longknife]
[sblock=Game Info]
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Ranger (Skirmisher/Guide)
Level: 6
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Languages: Common, Orc, Draconic
Deity: ???[/sblock]
[sblock=Abilities]
STR: 17 +3 (07 pts) (+2 racial bonus)
DEX: 14 +2 (03 pts) (+1 @ LvL 4)
CON: 15 +2 (07 pts)
INT: 12 +1 (02 pts)
WIS: 13 +1 (03 pts)
CHA: 08 -1 (-2 pts)[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat]
HP: 72 = [6d10=60] + 12 (CON)
AC: 22 = 10 + 5 (armor) + 4 (shield w/feat) + 2 (DEX) + 1 (Natural)
AC Touch: 12 = 10 + 2 (DEX)
AC Flatfooted: 20 = 10 + 5 (armor) + 4 (shield w/feat) + 1 (Natural
INIT: +2 = +2 (DEX)
BAB: +6/+1 = +6/+1 (Ranger) + 0 (Wizard) + 0 (Eldritch Knight)
CMB: +9 = +3 (STR) + 6 (BAB)
CMD: 21 = 10 + 3 (STR) + 2 (DEX) + 6 (BAB)
Fort: +7 = +5 (Ranger) + 0 (Wizard) + 0 (Eldritch Knight) + 2 (CON)
Refl: +7 = +5 (Ranger) + 0 (Wizard) + 0 (Eldritch Knight) + 2 (DEX)
Will: +3 = +2 (Ranger) + 0 (Wizard) + 0 (Eldritch Knight) + 1 (WIS)
Speed: 30'
Damage Reduction: none
Spell Resistance: none
Spell Failure: 15%[/sblock]
[sblock=Weapon Stats]
Standard Attack:
MW Scimitar(melee): +10 = +6 (BAB) + 3 (STR) + 1 (MW)/DMG: 1d6+1(S), CRIT 18-20x2
+1 spiked mithral heavy shield of bashing: +12 = +6 (BAB) + 3 (STR) + 3 (feat)/DMG: 1d10+6(B), x2
bite: +9 = +6 (BAB) + 3 (STR)/DMG: 1d4+3(P), x2
MW Comp. longbow [STR +3]: +9 = +6 (BAB) + 2 (DEX) + 1 (Magic)/DMG: 1d8+4(P), x3 - Range 110'

FULL ATTACK:
+12/+12/+9/+5 (shield,shield,bite,scimitar)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Racial Traits]
Abilities: +2 any Ability Score (STR)
Size: Medium
Speed: 30' Base speed
Darkvision: 60' (base only, upped it via feat)
Favored Class: Wizard
Intimidating:
Cavewight: Some Half-orcs live far from the surface, seeking solace in winding cave complexes. Half-orcs with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks made underground. This racial trait replaces the intimidating racial trait.
Orc Blood: Half-orcs count as both humans and orcs for any effect related to race.
Orc Ferocity:
Toothy: Some Half-orcs' vestigial tusks are massive and sharp, granting a bite attack. This is a primary natural attack that deals 1d4 points of piercing damage. This racial trait replaces the orc ferocity racial trait.
Weapon Familiarity: Half-orcs are proficient with greataxes and falchions and treat any weapon with the word “orc” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Half-orcs begin play speaking Common and Orc. Half-orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, and Goblin.[/sblock]
[sblock=Class Features]
Favored Enemy
Ranger's Focus(Ex) (modifier +4, 2 times per day): At 1st level, once per day, the guide can focus on a single enemy within line of sight as a swift action. That creature remains the Ranger’s focus until it is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points or surrenders, or until the Ranger designates a new focus, whichever occurs first. The Ranger gains a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls against the target of his focus. At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +2.

At 4th level, and every 3 levels thereafter, the Ranger can use this ability one additional time per day.

This ability replaces favored enemy.

Track(Ex): A ranger adds half his level (minimum 1) to Survival skill checks made to follow or identify tracks.

Wild Empathy(Ex) (1d20+5): A ranger can improve the initial attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person (see Using Skills). The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.

To use wild empathy, the ranger and the animal must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

The ranger can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a –4 penalty on the check.

Combat Style(Ex): At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of six combat styles to pursue: archery, two-weapon combat, crossbow, mounted combat, natural weapon, two-handed weapon, or weapon and shield. The ranger's expertise manifests in the form of bonus feats at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites.

Chosen: Weapon and Shield

If the Ranger selects weapon and shield style, he can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Focus, Shield Slam and Two-Weapon Fighting. At 6th level, he adds Saving Shield* and Shield Master to the list. At 10th level, he adds Bashing Finish* and Greater Shield Focus to the list.

* These feats are from the Advanced Player's Guide and are added to the feat section of this site.

Favored Terrain(Ex) - Underground: At 3rd level, a ranger may select a type of terrain from the Favored Terrains table. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks when he is in this terrain. A ranger traveling through his favored terrain normally leaves no trail and cannot be tracked (though he may leave a trail if he so chooses).

At 8th level and every five levels thereafter, the ranger may select an additional favored terrain. In addition, at each such interval, the skill bonus and initiative bonus in any one favored terrain (including the one just selected, if so desired), increases by +2.

If a specific terrain falls into more than one category of favored terrain, the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

Hunter's Bond
Terrain Bond(Ex): At 4th level, the guide forms a bond with the land itself, enabling him to direct others in such terrain. When in his favored terrain, the Ranger grants all allies within line of sight and that can hear him a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks. Also, as long as they travel with him, the Ranger’s allies leave no trail and can’t be tracked. The Ranger can choose for the group to leave a trail, or even specific members of the group to leave a trail if he so desires.

This ability replaces hunter’s bond.

Spells
Hunter's Tricks: At 5th level, a skirmisher Ranger learns the use of hunter’s tricks, which typically grant a boon or bonus to the Ranger or a nearby ally. At 5th level, the Ranger learns one trick, selected from the list below. At 7th level, and every two levels thereafter, he learns another trick. A Ranger can use these tricks a total number of times per day equal to 1/2 his Ranger level + his Wisdom modifier. Tricks are usually swift actions, but sometimes move or free actions that modify a standard action, usually an attack action. Once a trick is chosen, it can’t be retrained. A Ranger cannot select an individual trick more than once. This ability replaces the Ranger’s spells class feature. Skirmishers do not gain any spells or spellcasting ability, do not have a caster level, and cannot use spell trigger and spell completion magic items.

Tricks Known - (Uses per day = 4)

Surprise Shift(Ex): The Ranger can move 5 feet as a swift action. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity and does not count as a 5-foot step.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Feats & Traits]
Prof. with all simple and martial weapons (ranger)
Armor Prof. (light and medium) (ranger)
Shield Prof. (ranger)
Deep Sight (LvL 1)
Shield Focus (combat style LvL 2)
Endurance (ranger bonus LvL 3)
Diehard (LvL 3)
Improved Shield Bash (LvL 5)
Shield Master (combat style LvL 6)

Traits:
Dangerously Curious: Gain a +1 bonus on Use Magic Device checks, and Use Magic Device is always a class skill.

Dirty Fighter: When you hit a foe you are flanking, you deal an additional 1 point of damage (this damage is added to your base damage, and is multiplied on a critical hit). This additional damage is a trait bonus.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Skills]
Skill Ranks: 42 = [6 (class) + 1 (INT)] x 6 (LvL) + 0 (Favored Class)
Max Ranks: 6 ACP: -0

Skills:
() = class skill
^ = trained only
Code:
Total                    Stat  Rank   CS  Misc  ACP
+2 =  Acrobatics          +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
+1 =  Appraise            +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
-1 =  Bluff               -1    +0    +0   +0        CHA
+8 =()Climb               +3    +2    +3   +0   -0   STR
+1 =()Craft:_____         +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
-1 =  Diplomacy           -1    +0    +0   +0        CHA
na =  Disable Device^     +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
-1 =  Disguise            -1    +0    +0   +0        CHA
+2 =  Escape Artist       +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
+2 =  Fly                 +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
na =()Handle Animal^      -1    +0    +0   +0        CHA
+10=()Heal                +1    +6    +3   +0        WIS
+3 =()Intimidate          -1    +1    +3   +0        CHA
na =  Know:Arcana^        +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+10=()Know:Dungeoneering^ +1    +6    +3   +1**      INT
na =  Know:Engineering^   +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+5 =()Know:Geography^     +1    +1    +3   +0        INT
na =  Know:History^       +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+2 =  Know:Local^         +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+5 =()Know:Nature^        +1    +1    +3   +0        INT
na =  Know:Nobility^      +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
na =  Know:Planes^        +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
na =  Know:Religion^      +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+2 =  Linguistics         +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+10=()Perception          +1    +6    +3   +0        WIS
-1 =  Perform:_____       -1    +0    +0   +0        CHA
na =()Profession^:_____   +1    +0    +0   +0        WIS
+2 =()Ride                +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
+1 =  Sense Motive        +1    +0    +0   +0        WIS
na =  Sleight of Hand^    +2    +0    +0   +0   -0   DEX
na =()Spellcraft^         +1    +0    +0   +0        INT
+11=()Stealth             +2    +6    +3   +0   -0   DEX
+10=()Survival            +1    +6    +3   +3*(+1**) WIS
+7 =()Swim                +3    +1    +3   +0   -0   STR
+9 =()Use Magic Device^   -1    +6    +3   +1        CHA
* added when following tracks only
** +1 trait bonus added when underground[/sblock]
[sblock=Equipment]
Not complete so far I have..
Code:
Equipment                                     Cost   Weight
+1 mithral shirt                             2,100gp  10lb
+1 spiked mithral heavy shield of bashing    5,020gp  15lb
mw scimitar                                    315gp   4lb
mw composite longbow [STR +3]                  700gp   3lb
+1 arrows(20)                                1,101gp   3lb
wand of cure moderate wounds(20 charges)     1,800gp   ---
wand of shocking grasp(LvL3)(34 charges)     1,530gp   ---
amulet of natural armor +1                   2,000gp   ---                            
traveler's outfit                               00gp   ---
mw backpack                                     50gp   4lb
rope (hemp 50')                                  1gp  10lb

[COLOR=Orange][I]spent so far 14,617gp of 16,000gp[/I][/COLOR]
Treasure: 00gp, 00sp, 00cp Gems:
Total weight carried: ???/
Carrying Capacity:
Code:
            Normal    MW Backpack
Light      000-086    000-100
Medium     087-173    101-200
Heavy      174-260    201-300
[/sblock]
[sblock=Details]
Size: Medium
Height: 6'2''
Weight: 195
Hair Color: black mohawk
Eye Color: black
Skin Color: greyish green
Apperance: TBD
Deamenaor: Patient, calm, slow to anger, quick to action, fearsome when provoked Child like when it comes to magical "toys"
The above is before he learns that magical ability can be taught. Then he will be jovial, full of questions and energetic and eager to learn.[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]
Notes for background:

Simeon is a half-orc but it hardly shows in his appearance. As recorded by replacing orc ferocity with toothy (from APG). He looks more orcy than most orcs as well. Born and raised underground Simeon will replace the orc racial trait Intimidate with Cavewight. He grew up in the wilds of the caverns along the underdark. (I should take the Deep Sight feat as well).

Has a low will save - perhaps he has been effected by spells in the past like sleep, hold person, or others and he deemed it powerful magic he wish he had.

Simeon is left handed (although he doesn't know this yet). When a young orcling in training he constantly wanted to put his axe in his left hand. And every time an orc instructor would tell him he is "doing it wrong" and have him put it back in his right hand.

After many failed mock combats his axe was takin' away and he was given a sword (longknife) and shield. He was told due to his poor combat ability he would need the shield to survive. Simeon instantly took to the shield (in his left hand). He adapted to using it to block well (i.e. shield focus) and to counter attacking with it. It dealt more damage than his feeble "longknife" attacks (and should as it is considered his primary hand). And more and more he would bash someone with it over attacking with his scimitar even if it did open up his defenses (later he gets improved shield bash - finally learning to block and attack as one).

Thinking of adding he got the mithral shirt and shield off a dead dwarf maybe found him dying? Not sure or a skeleton of an old dead dwarf.

Amulet of natural armor is a leather cord through a hole in a rock that Simeon found. He is just lucky like that.[/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Log] None yet[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Look through Pathfinder has found some small changes tucked away practically everywhere. The Favored Class bonuses, changes in how a Staff works, neutering of the Alter Self spell, etc. I'm still trying to get this all sorted out.

Are we going to try and coordinate our spell choices from leveling up? I've looked over what I could of the new PC sheets to find what people have chosen.

Fran: Fireball, Greater Mage Armor; Scintillating Sphere, Dispel Magic, Stars of Arvandor, Steeldance
Tylara: Fireball
Cappizzio: Shadow Binding

Of the spells I was considering, Steeldance and Greater Mage Armor were already covered by Fran. Here are the rest:
Phantom Steed*, Bands of Steel*, Stinking Cloud*, Secret Page (for a Blessed Book), Haste, Fly, Shrink Item, Manyjaws

Finally, is Manny EVER going to cast 2nd level spells? It appears he has chosen a THIRD spellcasting class. Maybe those Sorcerer levels could be converted to Summoner if that's what you want.

Remove ads