• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Known Movies Worth Seeing

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
reveal said:
Noises Off... - Classic. John Ritter, Christopher Reeve, Micharl Caine, Carol Burnett, Larry from Perfect Strangers... Everyone's in this movie.

This is a great pick, but I'd suggest the play over the movie. If you can see it with a good cast the physical jokes are much funnier.

My picks:

Dark City
- already been discussed

Run, Lola, Run
- a young woman has 20 minutes to come up with the money to save her boyfriend's life, chaos theory intervenes

The Red Violin
- the story of a violin ... no really, it's a good drama!

Best In Show (this may not count as little known)
- a comedy/fake documentary about a dog show

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- three transvesties cross the Austrailian Outback, a comedy

Formula 51
- not really "great" but it's an acceptable Sam Jackson action movie that I think is underrated. Sam Jack plays a illegal drug chemist who tries to make a big score in London on the day of a huge soccer match.

.... I'm probably forgetting a bunch of others ...

Pants

First Post
My picks:

Boondock Saints

Dark City

Dazed and Confused - I love this movie. I personally think it has one of the best opening scenes ever.

The Third Man - It's old and I never seem to see it mentioned anywhere...

Sneakers - How well known is this movie? Only one of my friends has ever heard of it and he loves it too.

merztrumpet

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I would pick Peking Opera Blues over Zu, myself. But I wouldn't consider either very obscure films -- they're two of the biggest hits in HK history.
I thought about that last night and I suppose it comes down to the angle you approach watching movies. I've been quite surprised by some of the selections in this thread but not everyone looks at the different markets, so in some sense Delicatessen or 12 Monkeys is obscure. For example, Viimne reliikvia (The Last Relic) is probably the most popular film over in Estonia to the extent that acquaintances of mine joke that all the votes on IMDB must be from the Estonians. But you'll be hardpressed to find a common movie viewer who has heard of it outside of Estonia, much less watched it (In my experience at least). Realizing these different degrees of obscurity, I attempted to list films that might appeal to some here but don't appear to be discussed often. Zu seemed appropriate despite it's success.

Have you watched the sequel?

Frostmarrow

First Post
nothing to see here said:
We should start watching moves together Ryltar. My two favourite movies of all time.

If you do you could pick up The Machinist and Mulholland Drive. I bet you'll like those if you enjoyed Donnie Darko and Memento.

feydras

First Post
Some i haven't seen mentioned yet...

House of Yes - black comedy starring Parker Posey. Clever and twisted.

Angel Heart - private eye, new orleans, set in post WWI?, and voodoo. - probably fairly well known, but maybe not to younger folks.

Serpent and the Rainbow - voodoo set in Haiti

- feydras

Pants said:
Dazed and Confused - I love this movie. I personally think it has one of the best opening scenes ever.

On of the greats? Definately. Lesser known? Nah.

Maybe it's just my generation, but I think I would literally be stoned (hehehe, stoned!) if asked by a peer, "Hey, Liz! Have you seen Dazed and Confused?" and I responded, "Nope!"

I'd put it in the "most popular movies of my lifetime" category. But - again - maybe it's just my generation.

reveal

Adventurer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
On of the greats? Definately. Lesser known? Nah.

Maybe it's just my generation, but I think I would literally be stoned (hehehe, stoned!) if asked by a peer, "Hey, Liz! Have you seen Dazed and Confused?" and I responded, "Nope!"

I'd put it in the "most popular movies of my lifetime" category. But - again - maybe it's just my generation.

It's a cult classic. I've found movies like that aren't well known by the general public. :)

"That's what you're talkin' 'bout!"
"You're nuts junior!" :lol:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads