Lesser Vigor (2 Yes votes as modified)

Bront

The man with the probe
Erekose13 said:
I hadnt noticed that. Weird. I wonder why they chose to leave out divine spells from those?
That's probably exactly why.

I personaly have no problem with the Vigor spells, but I now must bring up a question.

Does an extended vigor still have the 15 round max? Apparently according to the FAQ, it does.

Erekose13

Explorer
In this case I'd say go with the FAQ which may have more far reaching effects. It essentially says that Extend Spell/Power doubles the duration up to the maximum indicated in the spell/power which sounds reasonable to me.

Bront

The man with the probe
I looked at it from a balance reason, and here's the compairison.

Extended Vigor (2nd level spell) heals 1 HP for 26-30 rounds, healing 26-30 HP, and requires a feat (Granted, Extend Spell is usefull beyond this)
Cure Serious Wounds heals 2d8+3-10, so average 12-19, max 19-26, and that's before a feat. At 3rd level, Vigor is much more powerful, but it's not imediate (taking almost 3 minutes to run it's course). Doesn't seem too bad to me.

But I'll bow to the FAQ if that's what people prefer. There was a heated thread in the rules forum about it though.

Patlin

Explorer
Since an empowered mirror image still has the same cap on number of images, I'd think an extended lesser vigor would still have the same cap on duration. I'm not sure it bothers me either way, but stipulating an interpretation in the aproval seems wise.

Bront

The man with the probe
The difference is we're talking a duration limit, which in theory the feat is supposed to increase, as opposed to a simple limit to what the spell can do.

Patlin

Explorer
Seems the same to me.

Mirror Image
1d4 + 1 per 3 caster levels images, max 8 images
Empowered Mirror Image
[1d4 + 1 per 3 caster levels images]*1.5, max 8 images

Vigor, Lesser
Duration 10 rounds + 1 round per level, max 15 rounds
Extended Lesser Vigor
Duration [10 rounds + 1 round per level]*2, max 15 rounds

In both cases, the metamagic feat can and does increase the formula, but leaves the cap in place. In both cases, the cap makes the feat irrelevant as caster level increases.

Ruling the opposite way on either or both of the above spells wouldn't cause any trouble as far as I'm concerned, but they seem consistent.

Ferrix

Explorer
Other than what the FAQ says, I'd prefer to let extend spell affect them, just like I'd let Empower Spell affect Mirror Image and go over the max. You do need a feat to do it, and up the level of the spell.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's not a variable numeric effect (IE, Die Roll). Empower doesn't effect Divine Favor either I believe.

Edit, Doh, it is, but in that case, it does, just like it effects the 10d6 cap for fireball.

Patlin

Explorer
It's my understanding that if a 18th level caster casts mirror image 1d4+6 images would be created, or 8 images whichever is less.

An empowered mirror image by the same caster would result in (1d4+6)*1.5 images or 8 whichever is less (though in this case 8 will allways be less.)

Lesser Vigor lasts for 10+level rounds, or 15 rounds, whichever is less.

Extended lesser vigor lastes for (10+level)*2 rounds, or 15 rounds, whichever is less.

Fireball, however, works differently. A fireball does xd6 damage where x is caster level or 10, whichever is less. An empowered fireball does xd6*1.5 damage, with the same limit on x.

That's my interpretation anyway. Your mileage may vary. :)

If the judges want EN World structured differently than that, it would be good to have it rule 0'd by a vote.

Remove ads