D&D 5E Let us stat up Conan the *insert sub-title here*

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Getting mad doesn't equate to 'raging', everyone gets mad. When I see 'rage' I think berserker and Conan was never a berserker, my opinion.

I'm in the camp where Rage doesn't have to be berserking, as has been mentioned frenzy does a great job of that. To me Rage can easily be a Primal Survival instinct, primal savagery a civilized person would never experience, a battle fury, a drug induced state, possession by ancestral spirits.

Of course that is just my opinion. It's no more valid or invalid than yours.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Which, to me, is further indication of what I was thinking this morning which is that 1) that the archetype would be better off with a different name and then mention in the class description that the archetype would be appropriate for *some* depictions of the samurai; and 2) Mearls should not be allowed to name classes :p .

Oh yes. I completely agree.

Greg K

Legend
Like I said my opinion. I've never like the barbarian in any edition. Earlier edition the rager was kit or subclass of the barbarian class. 3rd edition is when rage was the cornerstone of the class.

Actually, the official barbarian as rager was, originally, the 2e Berserker kit for the Fighter found in the Complete Fighter's Handbook

G

Guest 6801328

It's funny, but because of this Samurai would probably work for almost any Hero since all hero's get backed into a tight spot sometime or another, then dig deep to pull of some heroics. Jon Snow? Samurai. Hercules? Samurai. Thor? Samurai with a Hammer of Thunderbolts.

Yeah, that's fair. And that's always been one of my top 5 complaints with the Warlord as well: if Aragorn, Conan, Odysseus, Captain America, Batman, Arthur, etc. etc. etc. are all Warlords, who does that leave as archetypes for the rest of the classes? The Sidekicks?

To me as well, sound better then 'rage' which I never agreed with for Conan.

That's where I was, too, but upon further consideration if rage had been named "Primal Instincts" or something, but otherwise had the exact same mechanics, I'd say it would work great for Conan. So there's that.

Remove ads