Let's Build a Ranger Subclass for Fighter

mellored

Legend
I like the idea of once per day spells for the Ranger. Good call. I'm still not convinced on the beast. If it's not a magical beast it's too easy to lose. Are you thinking it's more like a bigger familiar?
yea, familiar-esq.

Maybe just find familiar, but beast and food as the component.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
yea, familiar-esq.

Maybe just find familiar, but beast and food as the component.

If we keep it as a familiar but allow it to act and attack on its own. Something about the size of a wolf seems really cool and might work as a level 7 subclass feature? If not level 7 then definitely level 10.

What if we make the level 7 ability be a pick one of these options and allow the wolf sized familiar to be an option?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
@3rd Lvl: I'd use Favored Enemies and Natural Explorer as normal here. Natural Explorer is your ribbon ability. Instead of new Favored Enemies at 6th and 14th, make them 7th and 15th.

@7th: This is where I'd put the 1/3rd caster/casting kicking in, as close to their original AD&D spellcasting (druid @8th, mage @9th...or vice versa). 1/3rd caster progression and selection as normal (for the Eldritch knight). Cantrips and spell choices from Druid or Wizard spell lists.
New Favored Enemy.

@10th: Foe Slayer, but instead of Wis. to hit or damage, make it both and instead of one attack on your turn, make it any attack on a favored enemy. Part of the suckiness of the PHB Ranger is this fairly self-evident defining ability (being better at fighting -hitting and damage- your favored enemies) is their 20th level "capstone"...and it's only good for one of your attacks per round[your turn]. Putting it in at 10th level seems significantly more balanced...and flavorful.

@15th: Vanish, as normal. Hide as a bonus action may be situational, but never being tracked unless you purposely leave a trail is a meaningful high level ability one would expect from a ranger.
New Favored Enemy.
[MENTION=6749508]18[/MENTION]th: Primeval Awareness, as written. An esoteric supernatural radar of creatures in your surroundings (up to a mile!) seems a flavorful magical high level thing for a ranger. A 3rd level feature, as the PHB class? Not in a million years. At 18th? Sure.

So at 20th level, you're getting 4 attacks per round, against 3 categories of creatures or 6 humanoids (or any combination therein) you have +Wis mod to attack & damage against them and advantage to all Wis & Int checks about them; 3 Indomitables; 2 Action Surges; Vanish; Second Wind; Natural Explorer; and 1/3rd caster progression (which gets to a max of 14th level: 3 cantrips, 10 spells known, 4/3/2) & spells of nature and/or arcane origin of your choice.

That sounds like a pretty fine ranger to play, actually...

An animal familiar at level 3 would be pretty cool too IMO. Option of upgrading it at level 7 or 10?

I was thinking about ways to make an animal companion scalable and not overpowered. How about familiar like spirit animal that can be summoned a limited number of times per day and lasts for X amount of time. As the ranger gains levels, the number and types of spirit animals grow, with their duration based on their function and prowess. For example at low levels the ranger can summon non-combat scouting companions that last for hours. At higher levels, combat spirit animals that last for rounds become available. The limited use nature of the combat animals means that they could get more powerful than CR2 and wouldn't require the rangers action every round while fighting.

The exact frequency of summoning, power level of the creatures, and duration could be based on what other spell powers and abilities the class gets.

D

dco

Ranger: A hardened fighter, doesn't use magic and focuses on mobility and exploration. I avoided damage features because I think the champion and Battlemaster should cover this better and being a fighter he is already better than a ranger fighting.

Lvl 3: Natural explorer: Proficiency bonus (or advantage if you don't like it) to survival, athletics, stealth, constitution (terrain & environment effects) and initiative checks in a terrain you know. Add a new terrain at lvl 7, 10, 15 and 18.
Steel will: Advantage on saving throws against fear

Lvl7: Land's stride: +10' movement

Lvl 10: Escape the horde

Lvl 15: Evasion

Lvl 18: Uncanny dodge

-----------------------------------

Beastmaster: A fighter who fights with an animal companion, can cast spells to summon animals, cure, transform into an animal, etc.

Lvl 3: Spellcasting: Use Eldritch Knight's table, Spellcasting ability like ranger (wisdom)
Animal Companion

Lvl7: Irreductible companion: AC's HPs=6x fighter lvl and always heals the maximum of the dice, second wind also heals the AC 10+fighter lvl hps, when you spend hit dice to regain hit points the AC also heals (10+AC con).

Lvl10: Exceptional training: As the book + AC gets proficiency to all saving throws and 3 skills.

Lvl15: Bestial Fury

Lvl18: Share spells: As the book, also works for spells from others.

Spells:
Lvl 1: Alarm (animals), Animal friendship, Cure wounds, Detect poison and disease, Longstrider, Speak with animals,
Lvl 2: Animal messenger, Barkskin, Beast sense, Darkvision, Lesser restoration, Locate animals, Protection from poison
Lvl 3: Conjure animals, Dominate beast (10min, 1h lvl4), Protection from energy, Water breathing
Lvl 4: Freedom of movement, Polymorph (self only, animal form), Stoneskin

---------

All subclasses get 2 things at lvl 3, but the Champion only one that is random, with this he covers the durable fighter better:
Lvl 3: Improved second wind: 10 + Fighter level + CON modifier.

Last edited:

Remove ads