Let's Build a Ranger Subclass for Fighter

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Or it could just be a background. Just cross out 'Outlander' write in 'Ranger.'

Because, really, anyone can be good at camping.

I struggle with this though.

What if I want my Ranger to come from a Noble family, and have the Noble background and subsequent feature? Or is very religious having the Acolyte background and feature? Or served in the Military/On a Sailing ship/as an agent of a Faction etc.

The Outlander background is not an Instant Ranger button any more than Acolyte is a Cleric one, or a Soldier a Fighter one, or a Knight of the Order a Paladin one, or indeed the Outlander background a Barbarian one.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I struggle with this though.
Darn, it's supposed to make things easier...

What if I want my Ranger to come from a Noble family, and have the Noble background and subsequent feature? Or is very religious having the Acolyte background and feature? Or served in the Military/On a Sailing ship/as an agent of a Faction etc.
Then you, er... build a Noble Camper or Military Scout or Age of Sail Explorer custom background that splits the difference! Obviously.

The Outlander background is not an Instant Ranger button any more than Acolyte is a Cleric one, or a Soldier a Fighter one, or a Knight of the Order a Paladin one, or indeed the Outlander background a Barbarian one.
Or the Criminal a Rogue, etc...
...sure, toss those classes, too, perfectly reasonable - anyone can be a camper, or enlist, or find their faith.

5e's supposed to be simple.

Isn't that the point of this thread? That we don't need so durn many classes? ;)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Isn't that the point of this thread? That we don't need so durn many classes? ;)

I thought it was "Something, something Rangers are still bad something something" :-D

Although I always thought Ranger (and Barbarian) could have been fighter subclasses.

But they aren't now, and I'm cool with it. I think Hunters are fine, and the XtGE subclasses are even better.

Still I would love to see the next go at the Revised Ranger.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I thought it was "Something, something Rangers are still bad something something" :-D
That too.

Although I always thought Ranger (and Barbarian) could have been fighter subclasses.
The ranger has been a fighter sub-class, so you were right to think that.

And, even if background is taking it a little far for the Ranger, the Barbarian, as a more cultural archetype, really seems to rate a Background - or a PF2-style Ancestry or something, rather than a class.

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
And, even if background is taking it a little far for the Ranger, the Barbarian, as a more cultural archetype, really seems to rate a Background - or a PF2-style Ancestry or something.

Indeed. Moving the concept of "Person from a tribal culture" to the Outlander background instead of in the Barbarian class was a great move.

ccs

41st lv DM
Please don't turn this into a discussion about whether this is needed or not. Let's instead build something!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let's briefly talk about why.

1. The Ranger Class in 5e is generally viewed as being bad and while the subclasses in Xanather's helped the basic concept of an outdoors warrior that gets magical abilities for being so close to nature is lacking.

2. A fighter subclass will probably get us closer to those concepts faster than trying to create a whole new Ranger class with subclasses. Afterall we do have the Eldritch Knight as a bit of a guide.

3. I would love to see a well done Ranger Class in 5e and would love someone to design one. It's just subclasses are easier to design and I think most of the traditional Ranger features can be covered in a subclass and be balanced.

4. Of course it will be a very generic Ranger subclass and will not be able to cover concepts like beastmaster rangers and such. For that we would need a full class and I hope one day they release a variant ranger class that works for all this.

5. I'm a little leery about whether the important abilities will come together early enough. I think they will but I could be mistaken.

So if the Ranger class itself isn't good enough, WHY waste the time/effort designing a substitute that you admit won't be able to cover the essential bits? Won't that just make an even worse ranger?
But good luck....

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It may sounds strange, but I'd base ranger design on the warlock rather than a fighter (short rest spellcasting, a few utility cantrips, choose invocations as ''Ranger Knacks'' automatic extra attack at 5, Pact is now Terrain with special features related to such terrain and boons are ''Gift'': boons given by the inhabitants of your terrain to help in your tasks such as Beast, Salves or Traps). Now ,At least, here's my take on it for a fighter archetype. Design goals:
- No slot-restricted magic
- Thematic from the start
- Not MAD
- Return the flavor of the ranger as a protector of civilization against the dangerous wilderness rather then a druid-like protector of the natural world.

Fighter's Archetype: Ranger

lvl 3: Bounder: You know the land and its inhabitants. As a protector of this land, your are a knowledgeable traveler and a friend to all. +10 Movement. Choose specific land; Advantage on Survival, Investigation, History and Social checks in such terrain.
Beastmaster: Nature spirits grant you a friend as you walk the lonesome roads. You can cast Find Familiar once long rest without components. You familiar benefits from your Fighter features such as Second Wind, Action Surge and Indomitable.

lvl 7: Foebane: At the end of a long rest, you can make a DC 12 Survival check to ask the DM one question about the type of enemies that inhabit the land you explore. You can choose to mark for death one type of enemy, gaining 1/2 proficiency damage bonus against those creatures. This features last until you use this feature again.

lvl 10: Strider: Can Dash or Hide as a Bonus Action. You can ignore Difficult Terrain and enemies have Disadvantage of perception check to spot you if your are in a favored land.

lvl 14: Secret Meadow : You know the secret to find hidden camping emplacement left by those who share the harsh live of the ranger. You cant be Surprised while Sleeping, at the end of a Long Rest, you can cast one of Find the Path, Scrying or Hero's Feast as ritual without material component. Informations and help come to you in form of hidden message from the ancient rangers who walk the land before you.

lvl 18: Heartseeker: Once per turn, You can forgo advantage to give Vulnerability to your next attack against the creature.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So if the Ranger class itself isn't good enough, WHY waste the time/effort designing a substitute that you admit won't be able to cover the essential bits? Won't that just make an even worse ranger?
But good luck....

The essential bits? Unless you are talking the 3e/3.5e Ranger or the 4e Ranger I'm not sure there's any essential bits that aren't covered by:
1. Being good at fighting
2. Having nature magic
3. Having abilities that help in nature

So basically there are 3 ranger concepts in play. The spell-less ranger of 4e. The beastMaster Ranger of 3e/3.5e. The older and more traditional nature magic Ranger. I'm looking to cover Rangers in the nature magic Ranger concept. A fighter subclass will fit that concept very well and will be very easy to build.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
While we're at it, I'm sure we can do the same with the other ''part should have been a background then the rest a fighter archetype'' classes, just for fun :p

Fighter's Archetype: Wrathbearer
lvl 3: Frenzy: You can throw yourself in a rage-like battle trance. You gain resistance to pierce/slash/blunt damage and +2 damage for 1 minute or until you fail to attack or take damage in a round. You must take a short rest to use this feature again, 1 more use at level 10 and 14.
lvl3: Fearsome gaze: you can use Str instead of Cha for Intimidation. You have Advantage in Intimidation while in frenzy.

lvl7: Great Cleave: On a Critical Hit, all enemies next to you take Str+half level damage.

Lvl10: Mindless rage: You have advantage against mind affecting effect while in frenzy.

lvl15: Inspire Frenzy: When you use Action Surge, allies that can see you gain the benefits of your Frenzy until the end of their next turn.

lvl18: Deathless Frenzy: When entering Frenzy, you are considered under the effect of a Death Ward spell.

Fighter's Archetype: Assassin

lvl3: Nightshade: You gain proficiency in Stealth and Poisoner kit. You are a 1/3 spellcaster who use the wizard's list and only gain spell from the Illusion and Transmutation schools.
A silent blade: When Initiative is rolled, you can move half you speed a make one attack. If you we're Hidden when Initiative is rolled the damage roll from the weapon attack is maximized.

lvl 7: Infiltrator: You gain proficiency in Disuise Kit. While immobile in dim light or darkness, you can use your action to become Invisible until you move or attack.

lvl10: Inured to Poison: You gain Immunity to Poison damage and Poisoned condition.

lvl 14: Death Attack: A creature you hit with your A silent blade feature must make a Con save against your spell DC or be stunned until they save.

lvl17: Assassinate: As an action, you can force a Surprised enemy to make a Con save against your spell DC or Die. On a successful save the creature take 8d10 damage and the creature cant be targeted by this feature for 1 week.

Fighter's Archetype: Delver

Lvl3: Better part of valor: Can Disengage and Dash a a bonus action.
Expert Dungeoneer: You gain Darkvision 30' (or +15). You gain Prof (or double prof) with Thieves Tool you have Advantage to save against trap.

lvl7: Scurying Pack rat: Double your jump distance and your carrying capacity. +5 move.

lvl 10: Mug: You can forego an attack to make a Sleight of Hand check against the enemy's AC.

lvl14: Use magic item: You can use magic item usually restricted to other class. If the item has charges, you can activate it and make an attack as a bonus action. You can cast Identify as a ritual.

lvl17: Wear the Hoard: You gain 1 extra attunement slots and gain +1 to saves for each attuned item.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The essential bits?
Essentials Ranger bits? Like Rapid Shot or Stalkers Mist?

Probably safe to skip 'em...

The older and more traditional nature magic Ranger. .
The 1e ranger picked up a very little MU & Druid casting starting at relatively (for the day) high level, like 8 or 10th or something. It was really more the woodsy giant-killer than the nature-magic warrior.

Last edited:

Remove ads