Lets design a Warlord for 5th edition

Hussar

Legend
I dunno Tony. I look at his solution and see something that's 99% of the way there. I really don't think that these quite complicated classes are the way to go. A couple of minor additions to the Battlemaster and we're good to go.

mellored

Legend
Fighter

fighting style: warlord
whenever you take the attack action you can forfeit an attack to have an ally use a reaction to make a melee attack.
your second wind now does not heal you and instead targets an allied creature of your choice that can hear you.

done.
That would be overpowered in some parties (rogues), while neigh useless in others (casters).
Still needs work.

I dunno Tony. I look at his solution and see something that's 99% of the way there. I really don't think that these quite complicated classes are the way to go. A couple of minor additions to the Battlemaster and we're good to go.
Which one is more complicated than a battlemaster?

mellored

Legend
In fact...

Battlemaster redux...
When you roll initiative, you have 2 dice.
When you take the attack action, you can trade your attack(s) to gain 1 die for each attack you don't make.

Maneuver.
Fight On!: When an ally takes damage, you can spend a die to reduces the incoming damage by the result. If the damage is reduced to 0, the attack is a miss and they gain the remainder as temporary hit points.
Cunning Strike: When you make a weapon attack, instead of rolling an attack roll, the target makes an Intelligence saving throw. If they fail, you hit and deal damage equal to your die roll.
First Aid: You can use your action to allow a creature to spend a hit die for each die spent. Add your roll to the result. Once a creature benefits from this, they cannot benefit again until they take a short rest.
First Strike: When a creature rolls initiative, you can give a bonus equal youe roll.
Sacrificial Opportunity: When a creature would make a melee attack against you, you can be automatically be hit in order to have it provoke an opportunity attack from one creature adjacent to it, excluding yourself. Reduce the damage you take by the die roll.
Exploit Weakness: When a creature hits another creature with an attack, it deals extra damage equal to the die roll.
Drive the Point: When a creature makes with an attack, you can spend a die to increase the roll by the result.
Hold your Ground: When a creature would be pushed or pulled, reduce the distance by 5'.
Direct the Strike: When an ally takes an attack action, you can spend a die to allow them to make 1 additional attack against the same target. You can use this once per attack turn.
Skirmish: When a creature would provoke an opportunity attack, they do not provoke an opportunity attack.
Ect...

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, I'm nowhere near as fixated on specific warlord designs as you seem to be. So long as the character is providing attacks, more than about 1/2 the time which is about what a battlmaster can do now, provides some healing, about the level of a paladin, and provides some means of granting other actions, I'm good.

You've kinda painted yourself into a corner with this insistance that a "lazy lord" must be supported. I don't actually care about the lazy lord, since it was never actually a class but was simply a style of play. I've always been of the opinion that a battlemaster is about 2/3rds of the way there, not enough for me, but, not a bad start. Mellored's BM redux above pretty much hits all the right notes AFAIC.

mellored

Legend
I have to admit, I'm nowhere near as fixated on specific warlord designs as you seem to be. So long as the character is providing attacks, more than about 1/2 the time which is about what a battlmaster can do now, provides some healing, about the level of a paladin, and provides some means of granting other actions, I'm good.

You've kinda painted yourself into a corner with this insistance that a "lazy lord" must be supported. I don't actually care about the lazy lord, since it was never actually a class but was simply a style of play. I've always been of the opinion that a battlemaster is about 2/3rds of the way there, not enough for me, but, not a bad start. Mellored's BM redux above pretty much hits all the right notes AFAIC.
That battlemaster redux can work as a lazy lord. Just trade away all your attacks for dice. And rebalance the moves to make sure they are worth giving up an attack for. (Need to change the save DC to Int or Cha as well).
Minor issue of it starting at level 3 instead of 1.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That battlemaster redux can work as a lazy lord. Just trade away all your attacks for dice. And rebalance the moves to make sure they are worth giving up an attack for. (Need to change the save DC to Int or Cha as well).
Minor issue of it starting at level 3 instead of 1.

I would think a fighting style that gives a +2 bonus to initiative to the party would help the late bloomer issue

That would be overpowered in some parties (rogues), while neigh useless in others (casters).
Still needs work.

Which one is more complicated than a battlemaster?

Hmmh. You are right. Maybe it needs to be forfeiting all attacks. I still believe this is the easiest solition.
Maybe you can add: at second level, when you use action surge, you can allow another character to take an ation as a reaction.

Remove ads