• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's pronounce "Genasi"

Tancread

Explorer
Unfortunately I don't think genasi are mentioned in the audio portions of the Players Primer to the Outlands, which has always served as a handy planar pronunciation guide on a lot of terms.

I was just going to ask if they were in any of the audio books from the FR novels.

This seems like the most natural way to pronounce the word in English (General American dialect).
Yeah, a hard 'g' like in:

general
genie
generation
gentle
genuflect
gene
genesis

I could go on. I'm having trouble thinking of a 'gen' word that actually does have a hard 'g'.

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
Originally, I went with a hard G, as in "go away!"

But I realized that was wrong, for a few reasons.

1) As someone else pointed out, G is usually soft before an E, such as in "generation" or "genuflect." However, we all know D&D and fantasy names often don't follow English structure. That said...

2) The genasi, as a concept, were originally descended from genies, and that (I'm pretty sure) is where the name came from. As such, a soft G--so it's pronounced "jenasi"--makes much more sense in-character as well.

So I pronounce it:

"jen" as in "Jennifer" or "generation"

"oss" as in "cross"

"ee" as in "Whee!" or "free."

This is how I remember Bruce Cordell and the other FR designers pronouncing it at this year's Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar at Gen Con.

Wonka

First Post
Genasi

I pronounce Gen-sai

as in the bleach Bankai well the ai being pronounced like eye :p

This is how I pronounce it, although it was a result of me misreading the spelling as such. Ive come to like that pronunciation better so I just stick with it :)

Remove ads