• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Adjustment for Divine Rank 0?

Samuel Leming

First Post
Does anyone know where I can find the Level Adjustment for Divine Rank Zero?

I believe I’ve seen it somewhere. I remember it being something like +8, but I can’t recall where I found it.

Anyone feel like helping me out?

Thanks,

Sam

mkletch

First Post
Samuel Leming said:
Does anyone know where I can find the Level Adjustment for Divine Rank Zero?

I believe I’ve seen it somewhere. I remember it being something like +8, but I can’t recall where I found it.

Anyone feel like helping me out?

Thanks,

Sam
We are playing a relatively high-powered, breaking into epic game, and are using a +4. Most of the abilities are not too powerful (i.e. DR of x/+4 in a high-level 3.0 game is irrelevant). Obviously, the lower the level the more impact it will have. I think +8 would be a tad harsh, but it depends on your game. As an aside, one of the characters was for a short time a proxy of a deity, and the DM used a +10 ECL in that case, until the deity took back his rank. The effect on XP earned was stunning, but the power increase to the character was nominal at best.

-Fletch!

Samuel Leming

First Post
When I first encounterd the LA for Divine Rank, or what I though was the LA, I wasn’t really that interested. That’s one reason why I can’t remember where I saw this. I borrowed the BoVD for a few days back in 2002, maybe I saw it in there :eek:

mkletch said:
We are playing a relatively high-powered, breaking into epic game, and are using a +4. Most of the abilities are not too powerful (i.e. DR of x/+4 in a high-level 3.0 game is irrelevant). Obviously, the lower the level the more impact it will have. I think +8 would be a tad harsh, but it depends on your game. As an aside, one of the characters was for a short time a proxy of a deity, and the DM used a +10 ECL in that case, until the deity took back his rank. The effect on XP earned was stunning, but the power increase to the character was nominal at best.

-Fletch!

Yeah, I think +8 is too high also. Ninth level challenges would probably slaughter a first level character even with the benefits of divine rank zero, but imagine a 1st lvl fighter with divine rank 0 thrown in with a 5th lvl party. I don’t think many of the challenges typical at 5th lvl would be much of a threat to the quasi-deity. Maybe a LA of +6 would be a better fit.

I understand Fletch’s views about LA for epic level play. Maybe the method for buying off LA mentioned in this thread would be of value.

Oh, the wonders of ECL :\ I guess it’s better than nothing.

Crothian said:
Well, what sort of stat bonuses are you offering divine rank of 0??

None. Not in a game I’d run. At least not by benefit of having divine rank 0 in and of itself. Some of the ways a character could gain initial divine rank could yield stat bonuses though.

Deities and Demigods states that any creature with at least one divine parent has at least a divine rank of zero (page 25). This doesn’t math up very well with the mythologies I’m familiar with or the kind of campaign I like to run, so I’m intending to replace this rule.

In the house rule I’m developing, a character would need to fulfill at least three of eight possible requirements to ascend to divine rank zero. An aberration or undead creature would need to fulfill four prerequisites.

You may have already guessed that two of these eight possible prerequisites would be having a divine father and mother. A creature with both parents divine would still fall short of divine status without fulfilling a third condition.

Well, anyway, since this is the rules forum, this is going off topic. Maybe I’ll post this over the house rules forum someday.

Sam

Last edited:

Remove ads