• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Adjustment Point Buy Equivalencies

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I few days ago someone posted a list of point buy values that could be used by characters of various level adjustments at first level so that everyone started at level 1 on an equal playing field. I don't think that's based on the RAW anywhere, but I wanted to know if anyone actually uses such a method. If you do, what values have worked well for you? What is a level worth in point buy? What is a level adjustment worth?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Sounds quite interesting.

I can, in fact, see this as the future of level adjustment:

Instead of level adjustment being an extra level, it's a certain number of points you get less for point buy.

Humans are +-0
Dwarves -3
Aasimars -4
Goliaths -6
(Just some numbers pulled out of thin air)

It might even replace negative ability mods - so instead of -2 con, elves get -1 for their point buy.

It would allow a lot more precision than the system we have now.

frankthedm

First Post
Well considering Elite ability scores add one to a CR, the reverse might be semi reasonable to buy off a LA.

Whatever the point buy difference between 25 point buy 15, 14, 13, 12, 12, 8 is from monster manual base 11, 10, 11, 10, 11, 10, gets taken off the top from the characters point value.

It sounds reasonable and is a good way to shut up those who piss and moan saying there is an unfair difference between HD, CR and LA.

TheGogmagog

First Post
I know I would take a +1 LA in exchange for +4, +3, +2, +2, +2, -2.
It's hard to relate this to point buy since +4 on a 16 is something different than +4 to an 11.

The Elite vs base argument comes to a 14 point difference if I added them up right (I don't think I did).
I would probably take a +1 LA for an additional 14 points in point buy, but would not do the opposite to negate a measly +1LA race.

PS, what's with the penalty to play dwarf? Something campaign specific?

Pyrex

First Post
TheGogmagog said:

It's because Dwarf is (mechanically speaking) the most powerful race in the PHB.

If Human is the gold-standard of LA+0, Dwarf is about LA+0.5, and Half-Elf would be about LA-0.33.

However, there is no built-in concept of negative LA, or fractional LA.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
TheGogmagog said:

More rules specific: They're almost too powerful for LA +0. They were quite powerful in 3.0, and 3.5 boosted them further (more so than other races that were already falling behind).

With a more smooth adjustment system, you could balance the races out.

Right now, I'm trying out several things: In my last campaign, I made dwarves small (with the size bonus, the penalty to grapple, and smaller weapons).

For my next campaign, I'll just give them -2 Dex in addition to -2 Cha, in addition to the boosts other races receive (+2 Cha for elves and half-elves, for example, as well as weapon familiarity all around, including humans)

Remove ads