• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level One Blues

Andion Isurand

First Post
Drowbane said:
For high strength damage output, Falchion (among the PHB weapons at least) is king.

compare~
2d4+6 (11av) 18-20x2
2d6+6 (13av) 19-20x2
1d12+6 (12av) 20x3

This really kicks off after Improved Crit (or Keen)...

And if you enjoy the Falchion...

...the Jovar (an exotic greatsword common to Hound Archons) works well at [ 2d6 dmg // 18-20x2 crit ] should you have the feat to spare for it.

There is also an exotic minotaur hammer with a crit range of 19-20/x4 but I dont rememer the damage. It is in either MM4 or MM5, and I dont have those on hand.

(and if your character takes off into higher levels)

Abyssal Cold Iron is an exceptional metal (red in color, but still cold iron) that provides a +4 bonus to the confirmation rolls for critical hits. It is found pretty much only in the Abyss, where it was exposed to the infernal blood lost during the Blood War.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Andion Isurand said:
And if you enjoy the Falchion...

...the Jovar (an exotic greatsword common to Hound Archons) works well at [ 2d6 dmg // 18-20x2 crit ] should you have the feat to spare for it.

There is also an exotic minotaur hammer with a crit range of 19-20/x4 but I dont rememer the damage. It is in either MM4 or MM5, and I dont have those on hand.

(and if your character takes off into higher levels)

Abyssal Cold Iron is an exceptional metal (red in color, but still cold iron) that provides a +4 bonus to the confirmation rolls for critical hits. It is found pretty much only in the Abyss, where it was exposed to the infernal blood lost during the Blood War.

[borat]Ahh, very nice[/borat]

Is the "jovar" in the MM?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
What about playing a warlock with the eldritch spear? You can do a fair amount of damage from a very nice range. So long as you stay a fair amount away from your enemies, you can have some fun. Being a warlock, you can use your UMD to have extra magical fun with wands and the like.

As a first level character, I also like the favored soul (I have the high level ability wings, though). You can have fun with spells, but since your a spontaneous caster you don't get bogged down with prepping spells. You get a decent BAB and your saves rock.

Nothing wrong with the other suggestions, mind you. I'm just adding more to the possibility list.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Be a 1st-level Aristcrat. You have 270 gp worth of wealth in average. Use Gather Information, Knowledge (Local) and Diplomacy to find some appropriate thugs for hire and let them kill other 1st level characters, one by one.

Thurbane

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Be a 1st-level Aristcrat. You have 270 gp worth of wealth in average. Use Gather Information, Knowledge (Local) and Diplomacy to find some appropriate thugs for hire and let them kill other 1st level characters, one by one.
With d8 HD, access to all armor (including tower shields), all martial weapons, and a half-decent amount of skills, the aristocrat is probably the most "playable" of the NPC classes. :)

Darklone

Level 1? Scout archer. Later multiclass with Ranger and head for Swift Hunter. Kills anything and will always have a great AC.

Gaiden

Explorer
If you want to have a ton of fun: 1st level illuisionist

Color spray is deadly at 1st level and change self can be ridiculously powerful in social situations, not to mention, the threat that a man suddenly morphed into demon can have on your foes.

If you want to powergame, go with Illumian from Races of Destiny and make sure you get the +2 caster levels. I am sure there are also character options for either sorcerers or illusionists that will make the class a bit better early on. Of course take the option to ditch the familiar. If you really want a familiar just take the feat - it is better anyways.

Make scrolls at every opportunity and use them often to compensate for limited spells/day.

If you really want to kill 1st level characters, disguise yourself as the local magistrate and order one of the wandering patrols to arrest your 1st level foes. When the inevitable fight ensues and the 1st level characters lose, you have won. If they win, now they have just murdered the town watch and will be wanted. The magistrate may even hire outside help, like a wandering mercenary whose role you can fulfill if you like.

If you really want to be nasty (and a bit more elaborate) find the most cocky trigger happy guardsmen and disguise yourself as one of the 1st level characters you want to kill then kidnap that guardsman's wife (or kill her if you really want to be mean) and make sure that he sees it happening or finds out about it. Then do the whole dress up as the magistrate thing.

NightCrawler

First Post
Gaiden said:
If you want to have a ton of fun: 1st level illuisionist

If you want to powergame, go with Illumian from Races of Destiny and make sure you get the +2 caster levels. QUOTE]

What do you mean by "get the +2 caster lvls"? I only see that the krau ability gives +1 on caster lvl checks and to a maximum value of your char lvl.. So if you are lvl1 illimian illisionist you dont get any bonus on caster lvl checks from that..

Remove ads