• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Licensed Professional Feat

tjoneslo

First Post
Licenced Professional (General Feat)
You are now licenced by a professional organizations to work in your given field.

Prerequisite: 5+ ranks in the appropiate skill, pass a DC20 entrance exam, pay an annual fee of Cr100 to Cr10,000 depending upon the organization.

Benefits: You get a glossy, full color magazine once a month full of useful advice for and about your profession. You may attend confrences held by the organization where you can meet other members of your profession to talk shop, and find out about all the latest tools of the trade from manufacturers. (i.e. find or renew contacts, hire NPCs, buy new or unusual toys, gain levels in some skills).

Normal: Skilled but unlicenced indiviuals may have difficulty finding a job (add +DC10 to +DC30). The organization may invoke legal action (or worse) if they discover an unlicenced individual performing the skills.

Special: You may take this feat more than once, but each time it applies to a different professional orgaization. Every organization has its own set of ethical and professinal standards and violating them may result in the revoking of your licence (canceling the benefits of the feat). You may or may not be allowed to re-apply for the licence (requiring another feat) depending upon the circumstances of your eviction.

Examples: Pilot (pilot skill), Navigator (navigate or astrogation skill), doctor (medical or treat injury skill), lawyer (profession (law) skill), Mercenary (leadership feat + Diplomacy skill).

This feat looks, and probably is, way underpowed for most games. I'm wondering what you would do to it (add or remove) to make it a viable feat for your games.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
I'd make it "not a feat". Just make it a blanket rule that most professions have a liscencing Exam, which counts as a DC20 check. If the annual fees are paid (whatever they may be), then the character recieves the quarterly magazine, a plaque, etc.

Mechanically I'd say the benefit to being liscenced is that the DM would provide profession-related equipment at a discount (buy through the guild\union\etc) & keep the player up to date on new equipment/feats/advanced or prestiege classes from new sources directly related to the profession.

Good idea...doesn't need to be a feat IMO.

Plot-Device

First Post
It'd be a cool feat if it gave you the ranks for free make the requirement a certain INT, and you were only allowed to take the feat if you were below a certain age and renamed it prodigy. Doogie Houser would have it.

tjoneslo

First Post
This keeps coming up in various discussions on another board, so I thought I'd ask the collective. The usual comment is: to become a doctor requires only Treat Injury 5 ranks, what about a medical licence? Above is my attempt to create a feat for a medical licence, but there isn't enough game effect for a full feat.

But instead of trying to add enough stuff to make this a feat, it should instead be a roleplaying bonus. I can work with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads