• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Life on Mars

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I've just started watching this show recently- it's pretty good. I liked the concept when I first heard it, and am surprised at just how good the performances are and how well they play with the metatext of the premise.

It did get me to thinking, though- they should have a crossover with some other well known tv character- maybe a young John Munch (Law & Order) or Barney Miller or something, to tie it in with the Tommy Westphall phenomenon. Just think what kind of discussions that would create- is the entirety of the tv multiverse a figment of Tommy's imagination or Sam Tyler's?

Talk about your creational dilemmas. :)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I liked the premise and thought the acting was very good but I only saw a couple of episodes at a friend's place and wondered how long the premise could be stretched. Seemed more like a good movie set up than something you could sustain week after week over many years.

lrsach01

Explorer
Good news, Mark. It only went two seasons any way. :)

Although, there are rumors that a spin off series is coming out following the "head detective" (can't think of his name) into the '80's as a the english police force goes through a lot of changes.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
lrsach01 said:
Good news, Mark. It only went two seasons any way. :)

Oh, my. I'd just as soon have been wrong and been told they found a way to make it work. :\

lrsach01 said:
Although, there are rumors that a spin off series is coming out following the "head detective" (can't think of his name) into the '80's as a the english police force goes through a lot of changes.

From one fish out of water series to another. That hard-boiled dectective copes with the changes of modernity was partially the premise for NYPD Blue, no?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
lrsach01 said:

It's called "Ashes to Ashes" and its premise is basically the same- a woman cop from the present goes back to the 80s and works with the same crew (largely) that Sam Tyler did in the 70s. Evidently she was familiar with Sam's records on his experiences as well.

I'm a bit skeptical myself. Like Mark, I have doubts about the sustainability of the premise, and am glad that they only went two seasons with it (and the ending, from what I've read, is perfectly appropriate for the premise). The new version, using the same elements, seems to not fit quite well with how things got wrapped up, but who knows? Maybe I'll feel different once I actually go through both seasons and learn a little more.

They're supposed to be remaking this show for US audiences, though I'm not sure why they'd bother (other than, you know, typically cashing in on a "sure thing"). Given the preponderance of 70s style cop shows that this British show is in many ways a sendup of, I wouldn't think it would have as much resonance, but we'll see. The Office (for god only knows what reason) does really well here (I can't stand the US version. Ugh.)

Capellan

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
Oh, my. I'd just as soon have been wrong and been told they found a way to make it work. :\

Well, it's not like they were cancelled. :) They announced before season 2 started that they felt they'd explored the concept sufficiently and that the show would be brought to a close at the end of that season.

StevenAC

Explorer
Capellan said:
Well, it's not like they were cancelled. :) They announced before season 2 started that they felt they'd explored the concept sufficiently and that the show would be brought to a close at the end of that season.
Actually, I think the writers and producers were initially quite prepared to go to a third season, but there's no way John Simm would have done it. Because of the nature of the series, Sam Tyler has to be in every single scene (although they did find a short-term workaround for this in one episode of season 2, to give Simm a bit of a holiday) and the workload must have been immense. And Simm, like Christopher Eccleston, is not an actor noted for an ambition to do long-running TV series work, anyway. I think they were lucky to get him for as long as they did.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Well, it all makes more sense, now. I guess I get it into my head that every series is swinging for the fence of seven years or more but I suppose that's really just network television in the USA that has that mindset.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mark CMG said:
Well, it all makes more sense, now. I guess I get it into my head that every series is swinging for the fence of seven years or more but I suppose that's really just network television in the USA that has that mindset.

I'd say you're probaby right. It seems to me that show "seasons" in England at least are also generally shorter runs than US television seasons- at least network seasons. On the order of 13 episodes as opposed to 22-24. It's more akin to Cable shows- shorter seasons and generally defined starting and ending points. Or telenovelas. :)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I agree. Like extended mini-series with, what is meant to be, a fully realized purpose rather than a potential cash cow without a planned end. It's much more satisfying, I think, as a viewer. I can only imagine it must be more artistically satifying for someone working on the project, as well.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads