• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Life span of a half-dragon?

dead

Explorer
Was wondering if anyone knew the lifespan of a half-dragon?

Or does it depend on what the other half is (ie. whether the other half is elf, human, umber hulk or whatever)? Or, does the template "add" a certain amount of years to the base creature's longevity?

Thanks.

P.S. Also curious to know the lifespans of half-fiends and half-celestials.

P.S.S. Oh, and although it's not a template, I'm curious to know the lifespan of a half-ogre . . . (same as a half-orc?).

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
with half-celestials and half-fiends, i would bump them to immortal, but can be killed by normal means. i'd also consider maybe bumping a half-dragon to oh say 1000 + yrs.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Since dragons are pretty long-lived, I'd operate under the assumption that a half-human/half-dragon would have a half-elf's lifespan; a half-elf(as opposed to a half-half-elf)/helf-dragon would have an elven lifespan.

Half-fiend and half-celestial I'd probably go with a half-elven lifespan. Half-orc as an analog for half-ogre works well for me, too.

I don't think there's an official answer to any of those questions, though, so you're kind of on your own.

firenice

First Post
As a half dragon/half sea elf myself, i think it is kinda up to however you want to play it. I never considered that, but last night in the game, it actually came up. I was aged one year magically by a creature and the others at the table just laughed and said "don't worry bout it, your an elf and they live forever. Also, you are a half dragon, so that just kinda stacks on top of it." It was kinda funny that they considred the half-elf template and the half-dragon was only an afterthought! So therefore, if a dragon can live up to 10,000 + years, halve it. or take the middle ground between the two templates (i.e. for me it would be halfway between half dragon and half elf.) That's my opinion of course. But being that the half dragon template is so much more stronger than what you stack it with, you may want to have the life span of the other half be in effect. Balances it IMO. There are a few different ways you could go with it. There's three for ya. It depends on what you are gearing your campaign for. If you are going with creatures that can magically age your PC's a bit, go with a longer consideration, if not, then go with the weaker half. :D

spacecrime.com

First Post
So far, the life-span of the half-dragon in my campaign has been about two sessions longer than I intended it to be. I keep throwing things at the little $#%& and he JUST WON'T DIE!

Oh, you meant natural lifespan. Sorry, haven't a clue. :D

cheers,

Remove ads